Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I challenge you to find any other car manufacturer that gives you as much info as Tesla does. Order a Ford, Volvo, BMW, whatever… and you wait, wait, wait until they tell you it’s here. At least Tesla gave you some info.
I’ve got a colleague who ordered a BMW last year (2022), and is still waiting, despite being told it would arrive in May, then July… now it’s Feb next year.

Like I’ve said before… the more you know because Tesla shared the vessel it is on, the more frustrated you get as you know more about the delays of global shipping.

Chill, it will arrive.
Tesla has to give you more info because all the financing leg work is done by the customer. If I could just sit back and have my leasing company handle everything like they’ve done in this past, I’d be less bothered.

I went with 32A single phase. Gets you a decent overnight charge at home and the plug is useful for campsites / Showgrounds
Same, I’m not forking out to convert to 3 phase. I had to upgrade my switchboard because I ran out of space on the board, which cost around $2k for the board and to run the cabling.

On my wife’s lfp model 3, if the battery is 30% we will typically get to just under 100% in the 6 hour charging window. So we charge to 80% and then top up to 100% on the next charge (typically the night before she starts commuting to work again).

Charging speed drops off after 90% and my charging efficiency is sitting at 97%.

Last edited:
Reactions: thecasualplaya
I challenge you to find any other car manufacturer that gives you as much info as Tesla does. Order a Ford, Volvo, BMW, whatever… and you wait, wait, wait until they tell you it’s here. At least Tesla gave you some info.
I’ve got a colleague who ordered a BMW last year (2022), and is still waiting, despite being told it would arrive in May, then July… now it’s Feb next year.

Like I’ve said before… the more you know because Tesla shared the vessel it is on, the more frustrated you get as you know more about the delays of global shipping.

Chill, it will arrive.
Few months ago Current Affairs aired a story of car carriers arriving from China and the biosecurity issues on these ships are at an alarming rate. Delays at our ports are just getting longer and longer.

Stinktannic with Stinkbugs had no chance..... so I'm chilled, chilled as the Iceberg that sank the infamous ship.

Last edited:
Even if I got incredibly fortunate and my spec became available on another shipment, I don't think I can change because I'm now locked to this VIN in a Novated Lease? Can anyone confirm or deny?
I dont know if different companies would have different policies. I am with LeasePlan and I asked them if I could swap car VINs given the problems. They said that I would need to terminate the lease early which would cost a lot of money. I dont know about other companies you should ask your them perhaps they have a better policy.

The company I work at is tendering for an IT contract with a large shipping company. I tagged along to a meeting with the company this afternoon to discuss their requirements. After the meeting I asked about Stink Bugs and explained my Model Y was on the GC. There was some laughter and one of the agent's people said that while not unusual some ships had more problems than others and that the GC was known as a "Plague Ship" within his firm because it had more problems than most. He said that the trip to port was probably not an inspection but to have more chemicals sprayed. Not unusual but it would probably mean that they were still finding live bugs as its not cheap to bring a ship into port and have it sprayed, and they would not waste the money if it was not needed. He would think that the inspection would happen after another 10 to 14 days may be less. If it failed that inspection, there were two options (1) a further application of chemical and another quarantine period or (2) it was possible that the ship would sail back to Asian unloading the cars at their next stop outside Australia. He said dumping was not an option for a big company. The cars would then have to be reloaded and shipped back. If the ship failed 3 inspections, then it would be an automatic leave, but he said most ships would pull the plug and leave before that happened as they are losing money every day they stay outside Brisbane. He also said that if it was his company, they would be providing daily reports detailed the progress being made the number of bugs being found etc. and the most likely outcome He said that he would see if there was any gossip and would pass it on if he heard anything. If I hear more I will pass it on.

I found this discussion very depressing but was glad at least have an idea of what may be really happening. While Tesla is not responsible for the stink bugs it would be good if they were providing information that in all probability they are receiving.

I certainly don’t think anyone has the right to be rude or abusive to a Tesla employee. That is complete unexpectable. They are just doing as they are told.

I cannot cancel because the lease company has paid for the car, and I have been told I would have to pay out the least if I cancel. I big financial penalty.

It really is a no win situation, we all just have to wait and see what happens.
Some nice info - thanks for sharing.

What I've been wondering is if the stinkbugs are actually on the ship or in the cars? If on the ship do they/can they migrate to the cars? The chemicals used to fumigate the ship and/or containers with the cars inside - do these chemicals permeate the cars and therefore will the cars smell or present any health issues to humans? I'm not keen on accepting a Tesla that has had poisonous/toxic chemicals sprayed in/around my car.

Concerned.

Reactions: BareFeetTom
32A single phase gives you what sort of charge (3kWh?).

7.4kw on a wall charger
With overheads of running the cooling and cpu, it’s probably closer to 7kw going into the battery but I think it’s more than adequate for home charging.

I tried using excess solar as opposed to an EV plan initially but found the rate of charge from excess solar on an 8kw system too slow. I also didn’t want to have to choose between charging my car or running the aircon.

Reactions: MrMister and dronus
Kembla port update - now Monday 8am....

Man this waiting time is painful. Will be really annoying if we don't get the cards before Christmas :(
Thanks for the update.

I guess the million dollar question is does GC need to offload more cars in Brisbane?

If so, it will need to be booked in to Fishermans terminal in Brisbane first, last I checked it wasn’t booked in for the next 5 days at least.

Reactions: vector_X
With overheads of running the cooling and cpu, it’s probably closer to 7kw going into the battery but I think it’s more than adequate for home charging.

I tried using excess solar as opposed to an EV plan initially but found the rate of charge from excess solar on an 8kw system too slow. I also didn’t want to have to choose between charging my car or running the aircon.
I need to look into this further, I have quite a large roof on both the house and shed to put solar panels on but I need to learn about which setup to get so I can charge the car on weekends etc. generally I could get away with work/home travel all week without charging so if I can fully charge on a weekend I’m living the dream.
It’s OT on this thread tho, so let’s find another one ;)
They could put a bunch of solar panels on SS Stinktanic and keep the cars charged up :) I wonder if they shut them down in transit?

Reactions: MrMister
Same, I’m not forking out to convert to 3 phase. I had to upgrade my switchboard because I ran out of space on the board, which cost around $2k for the board and to run the cabling.

On my wife’s lfp model 3, if the battery is 30% we will typically get to just under 100% in the 6 hour charging window. So we charge to 80% and then top up to 100% on the next charge (typically the night before she starts commuting to work again).

Charging speed drops off after 90% and my charging efficiency is sitting at 97%.
Yea I'm in a similar position with the board.... Plus a very narrow driveway so positioning of the charger is going to be a challenge, and is why I was hoping to have the car before deciding on how it will best fit. Not something you can easily determine with a tape measure.

Yea I'm in a similar position with the board.... Plus a very narrow driveway so positioning of the charger is going to be a challenge, and is why I was hoping to have the car before deciding on how it will best fit. Not something you can easily determine with a tape measure.
The only issue with waiting is that it can take quite a while to get an appointment slot for installation. My installation took a day and a half to fully complete.

Keep in mind that the charging cable is quite long, so it should give you some flexibility even if the charger turns out to be mounted slightly off.

I initially tried EVSE and then they didn’t even respond to my request for an installation. Eventually just ordered from Tesla and had my regular sparkie do the work for me.

Using my sparkie and Tesla’s charger definitely saved me money, my switchboard is on the opposite end of the house and it had to be routed via the roof on a double storey house.

Last edited:
Reactions: thecasualplaya

I have been thinking the same as we put about 30kWh back into the grid on a good day (at $0.052/kWh) and our current plan gives us a 30% discount if we have Direct Debit. The only downside is that the Tariff is crazy high but the discount offsets that.

I looked at the AGL EV plan (8c/kWh overnight) and based off our last bill, our current plan was better by about $5 for the quarter due to the discount.
As soon as I added the cost of charging an EV overnight, the AGL plan was better by more than a few hundred for the quarter.

After seeing that, I have decided to use excess solar where possible (possibly with the help of Charge HQ) but not rely on it and change to the AGL plan.

Reactions: dronus
Bought some Tesla accessories from Aliexpress but all the packaging has been woeful. Best to buy trom tessories.com.au, quick delivery with much better packaging and only slightly more expensive. Aliexpress items feel like factory seconds, rejected for delivery to dropshippers. Thus only being slightly cheaper for common items.

NSW update
IMG_9572.png

I have been thinking the same as we put about 30kWh back into the grid on a good day (at $0.052/kWh) and our current plan gives us a 30% discount if we have Direct Debit. The only downside is that the Tariff is crazy high but the discount offsets that.

I looked at the AGL EV plan (8c/kWh overnight) and based off our last bill, our current plan was better by about $5 for the quarter due to the discount.
As soon as I added the cost of charging an EV overnight, the AGL plan was better by more than a few hundred for the quarter.

After seeing that, I have decided to use excess solar where possible (possibly with the help of Charge HQ) but not rely on it and change to the AGL plan.
Ovo Energy, 10c feed in and 8.39c charging.