Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Tesla Ceramic Coating, PPF, Tinting and other Accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone else having committed the "sin" of hard water spots in their surface finish. Im going to try to fix mine up today. Step 1 will be a off the shelf water spot remover. Step 2 if that doesnt work more aggressive with white vinegar diluted which will force resealing and prior clay bar etcetc. Step 3 will be resorting to poilish.

Graphene coatings in particular is supposed to help with this.

Bit of a lesson. First few days of owning the vehicle it got water spots. My panel shop associate gave the Shanghai Factory finish top marks in his assessment but I got poor marks :) Once this gets all correct it'll be be coated up.

Reactions: Gior
For anyone else with this problem, I changed my mind and went straight to wheel acid diluted. I'm now 45 mins into it and the front half is already back to perfect when I picked her up in delivery. This acid is nasty stuff but in my opinion its worth it. Obviously itll need resealing once done. Im going to de-iron and claybar today then Ill temporarily wax it, in protection until the graphene coating with my mate later.

This video was very helpful:

With laws in NSW I elected to go for 20% rear glass and 35% front windows forward of the B Pillar. I believe the Tesla little rear glass is 21% OEM. I argue that the "rear windscreen" is the rear portion of that huge rear glass that is visible through the rear view mirror and by a driver turning backwards to see while seated so therefore its a huge one piece of tint film. This is ultra difficult to do - if you do this like me find a tint install guru who wont mess it up. Especially in Ceramic tint films as ceramic films are already harder to install than other types of film. I went with Ceramic tint film as its amongst the best of all films in TSER measurement while at the sametime it had no RF attenuation which some other types do have. There was some problems early on with Model 3s and the rear glass cracking during tint install but that was years ago and Tesla has since changed the OEM glass specification to ones which are much better for automotive use. Pics:

IMG-0013.jpg

and

IMG-0016.jpg

Last edited:
With laws in NSW I elected to go for 20% rear glass and 35% front windows forward of the B Pillar. I believe the Tesla little rear glass is 21% OEM. I argue that the "rear windscreen" is the rear portion of that huge rear glass that is visible through the rear view mirror and by a driver turning backwards to see while seated so therefore its a huge one piece of tint film. This is ultra difficult to do - if you do this like me find a tint install guru who wont mess it up. Especially in Ceramic tint films as ceramic films are already harder to install than other types of film. I went with Ceramic tint film as its amongst the best of all films in TSER measurement while at the sametime it had no RF attenuation which some other types do have. There was some problems early on with Model 3s and the rear glass cracking during tint install but that was years ago and Tesla has since changed the OEM glass specification to ones which are much better for automotive use. Pics:

View attachment 958788

and

View attachment 958789
Did your guy put the tint meter on after the tinting and show you the 35% and 20%? My guy did and I ended up a bit under at 32.7%. He reckons it should be ok as he says there is a margin of error.

Did your guy put the tint meter on after the tinting and show you the 35% and 20%? My guy did and I ended up a bit under at 32.7%. He reckons it should be ok as he says there is a margin of error.
It was late Friday @ past 1900 freezing to death in his workshop in winter cold :) Im going by there tomorrow Ill get him to whack his meter onto it. This is kinda like noise testing in the old ICE days - it takes "standard" measurements in "standard" ways to get "standard" repeatable replicable measurements. Best defense mate if you get any hassles - produce invoice if it lists it and if worst comes to worst during rego time with pink slip make sure its in a bright sunny day :) Hes probably right and in good will lets say he did use 35%

That said outta respect for ya.....Tint places on the dodge scale can be pretty bad. Detailing business and tint businesses are in general more of a problem than licensed mechanical businesses or licensed auto elec businesses. So without mandatory licensing etcetc it can get pretty bizzare. Theyll do stuff like sell ceramic tint film while using the cheapest crap possible in fraud etc Dont want to let the bad ones ruin the good ones but for sure but theres allot more bad around in these two areas of auto stuff in comparison to other auto segments

Did your guy put the tint meter on after the tinting and show you the 35% and 20%?
Hi Gior, getting back to you. Both types of ceramic film 35% and 20% tested out to within 1% of tolerance. His test unit is pretty large and it throws a controlled amount of light through in the test.

So I went to allot of effort to find a local guru to install my tints. This guy is dealer established with various dealers he does many many each day every day. Other tint shops when they cant get it right take it to him secretly. Even despite this massive experience there was still problems:

Its all fixed today though. Just a warning even being super super careful still ended up with crud in that dam centre high brake light with the install. Ceramic is pesky film to install, The huge rear glass in model 3s and Ys needs to be a large roll not standard size of tint film and it needs to be applied by an expert to get a seamless one piece fitting.

In the end though Ive now got a flawless install and it looks great super happy

Had Tesla mobile service around on an unrelated thing but took the opportunity to discuss genuine Tesla matts especially the boot and frunk matts

They come all rolled up and the instructions say unroll them they should come flat if not put weights on them and hold them pinned for 30 mins etc

Did all that and more and ever since the edges arent flat and dont fit as well as genuine sized accessories most owners would expect

Service Centre said it should improve in the heat - my location gets below 0c over night in winter. One more reason for come on summer!

Had Tesla mobile service around on an unrelated thing but took the opportunity to discuss genuine Tesla matts especially the boot and frunk matts

They come all rolled up and the instructions say unroll them they should come flat if not put weights on them and hold them pinned for 30 mins etc

Did all that and more and ever since the edges arent flat and dont fit as well as genuine sized accessories most owners would expect

Service Centre said it should improve in the heat - my location gets below 0c over night in winter. One more reason for come on summer!
Had these for a week or so now. VERY NICE! They come flat too TESERY All Weather 3D Floor Mats for Tesla Model 3 2017-2023 & Model Y

• Informative
Reactions: Epping2023
The issue is more about:

a) Pink slip hassles on failing the inspection due to too dark
b) Rejected insurance on a claim due to "unroadworthy" changes on tint too dark
c) Criminal/civil liability when insurance bail and your stuck with the fallout in an accident involving others etc on a public road

In my experience most random vehicle inspections from cops is simply due to driving what looks to be a modded vehicle. Sure dont be a d**K but regardless when Im super nice and understanding that its their right to conduct inspections and I pull out my engineers ceriticates and explain its offroad motorsport not a driver thats a tool on public roads endangering others mature driver etcetc all that gets you is maybe a smile and some nicer conversation but ultimately if in the "judgement" something to them isnt right then they wil try to yellow canary you anyway especially things they dont fully understand. Not a huge hassle to get it signed off and all gone away and overrule them afterwards but still its time and paperwork later

Thats the great thing about BEVs. No noise. No one that cares about actual track performance on circuits is going to want to lower their vehicle so much that the suspension is useless too low isnt fast at all,

There seems to be a heap of "non-carpet" style floor mats out there.

Personally, I would prefer a carpet-style finish - does anyone know of any for the Model Y?
I generally prefer carpet-style, too. I would like to buy a spare set of OEM mats to store (in case they aren't available later). In a few years, or if I am selling the car, I can swap the used mats for fresh new ones.

Reactions: Epping2023
Guys, I need touch up paint. Both for the Deep Blue colour and the Wheels. Does Tesla sell touch-up paint? I could not find any paint on the Tesla website.

I found this on Amazon. If Tesla doesn’t sell touch up paint, would this be good for the Wheels?

Picture2.png