Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Dimming Mirrors.... Kinda Dark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys rock! I've submitted a couple requests to Tesla and only been told to read the Owners Manual.... not cool. I'll unplug the wire for the auto-dimming in the meantime until we get a software fix. Now if only we could unplug the one for the rearview mirror as well... I can't see at all at night out of any of my mirrors.

Has anyone been able to disable the dimming on the rear view mirror?

Honestly, just buy a replacement rear view mirror. Not only do you get rid of the dimming, but you get a much better field of view depending on what you get. A lot of people in this forum recommended Broadway (which was also highly rated on Amazon), so I bought one and its been working great.

241mm is the exact amount of space between the sun shades. So you want to get a 240mm replacement

Regular, flat:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068G4KJC

Regular, Convex:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006G62HUI

Type-A, convex:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068G4LDC

Type-A, flat:
https://www.amazon.com/Broadway-Type-Rear-Mirror-240mm/dp/B003VL947U/

Type-A is aluminum, which supposedly sees better through tinting, if you have any in the rear. I chose to do regular since I do want a little dimming from my 30% tint.

Regular vs convex: Convex you will be able to see the rear sides a bit more. But due to the thick pillars of the 3, it wouldn't make a difference, so I went with flat so what I see wouldnt be distorted.

I initially bought a 300mm convex, type-a and it was overkill. I couldn't put down my passenger sunshade. You may be able to get away with the 270mm

Installation was an easy clip on. Negatives is that it does have some shakiness (but no rattle). Still a worthwhile trade off to get rid of the terrible dimming.

• Informative
Reactions: rlb4
Honestly, just buy a replacement rear view mirror. Not only do you get rid of the dimming, but you get a much better field of view depending on what you get. A lot of people in this forum recommended Broadway (which was also highly rated on Amazon), so I bought one and its been working great.

241mm is the exact amount of space between the sun shades. So you want to get a 240mm replacement

Regular, flat:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068G4KJC

Regular, Convex:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006G62HUI

Type-A, convex:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068G4LDC

Type-A, flat:
https://www.amazon.com/Broadway-Type-Rear-Mirror-240mm/dp/B003VL947U/

Type-A is aluminum, which supposedly sees better through tinting, if you have any in the rear. I chose to do regular since I do want a little dimming from my 30% tint.

Regular vs convex: Convex you will be able to see the rear sides a bit more. But due to the thick pillars of the 3, it wouldn't make a difference, so I went with flat so what I see wouldnt be distorted.

I initially bought a 300mm convex, type-a and it was overkill. I couldn't put down my passenger sunshade. You may be able to get away with the 270mm

Installation was an easy clip on. Negatives is that it does have some shakiness (but no rattle). Still a worthwhile trade off to get rid of the terrible dimming.

Thanks. I want no dimming and the least amount of distortion so I think the type A regular would be best for me. Is 240 mm the closest size to the stock mirror?

Thanks. I want no dimming and the least amount of distortion so I think the type A regular would be best for me. Is 240 mm the closest size to the stock mirror?

stock mirror would likely be around 200mm. 240mm fits perfectly between the two visors, fits well, and provides a wider view than stock. I *think* 240mm is the smallest on offered by broadway, at least on Amazon

I guess $16 is an easy reversible fix until Elon allows us to turn off the rear view and side mirror dimming. Does anyone with the Type A mirror feel that it is too bright? I have 50% tint but have never liked any dimming on non tinted previous cars.

I guess $16 is an easy reversible fix until Elon allows us to turn off the rear view and side mirror dimming. Does anyone with the Type A mirror feel that it is too bright? I have 50% tint but have never liked any dimming on non tinted previous cars.

My first purchase was the 300mm Type-A convex but was way too large and wasnt a fan of the convex mirror. The one I settled with was the 240 flat, regular. I put them both beside each other and I can barely tell a difference in brightness - the Type-A was maybe a tiny bit brighter. YMMV, I have 30% tint on the rear window.

This would probably work. I haven't tried it because I like the autodimming even though it is a bit dark. Also I'm not sure if there's a trick to remove the mirror. You probably just put a rag around it and pull but no guarantees! That's what I've done on other cars but Tesla doesn't have a service manual (grrrr...)View attachment 362352

Just an update, I did the chrome delete on my car this weekend and decided to disconnect the auto dim feature as well. Very easy and straight forward. Pull the cap off from the furthest point away from the car. Then gently pull the mirror off the housing applying even pressure not to break the glass. Then simply disconnect the wire and tape it off. Everything snaps back together very easy. No warning lights or anything once disconnected and its 100% easier to see at night now.

Just got the Broadway Type A flat 240 mirror. Noticeably bigger and squarer than stock. Looks a little out of place. BUT, so much easier to see at night. Absolutely worth it. I can actually see a car at night. Now I need to get up the nerve to take apart and disable the side mirrors. Come on Elon, just give us the ability to disable them in the settings.

Reactions: Sirricardo
Just got the Broadway Type A flat 240 mirror. Noticeably bigger and squarer than stock. Looks a little out of place. BUT, so much easier to see at night. Absolutely worth it. I can actually see a car at night. Now I need to get up the nerve to take apart and disable the side mirrors. Come on Elon, just give us the ability to disable them in the settings.

Trust in yourself and just pull on the mirror to pop it off. All the snap on/off components are durable and can handle the force.

Reactions: DesertLurker
I unplugged my rear view mirror, but on the side mirrors, it’s still too dark, even with the windows rolled down! I saw a video where you can see 2 major cables that go from the door to the mirror (you have to unplug these to change the mirror assembly). Can anyone confirm that the smaller bunch of wires (I think it was red) powers the mirror dimmer? If I can’t unplug these wires, I was thinking of replacing the side mirror glass with a non dimming version. I found a 3rd party one that will make these to order. They will even make those European aspherical ones, which would fix my issue with not being able to move my mirror out far enough to do ‘proper’ blind spot prevention.

I unplugged my rear view mirror, but on the side mirrors, it’s still too dark, even with the windows rolled down! I saw a video where you can see 2 major cables that go from the door to the mirror (you have to unplug these to change the mirror assembly). Can anyone confirm that the smaller bunch of wires (I think it was red) powers the mirror dimmer? If I can’t unplug these wires, I was thinking of replacing the side mirror glass with a non dimming version. I found a 3rd party one that will make these to order. They will even make those European aspherical ones, which would fix my issue with not being able to move my mirror out far enough to do ‘proper’ blind spot prevention.

Howd you unplug the rear view mirror? Got a videe on how to do that?

For the side mirrors, see my post:

Auto Dimming Mirrors.... Kinda Dark

Highly rated at 3-5 reviews each on Amazon? :rolleyes:

Any Model 3's have installed pictures?

The 300mm (which is linked) is the most popular broadway and it has 333 reviews, 4.5 star average. The other ones are less popular and thus less reviews and/or are from a different seller.

Additionally, its the primary replacement rear view mirror that has been suggested for Model S, X, etc on Tesla forums who dislike the auto dimming or size of the stock