Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Dimming Mirrors.... Kinda Dark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Highly rated at 3-5 reviews each on Amazon? :rolleyes:

Any Model 3's have installed pictures?

20190116_152918.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: NJturtlePower
Is the "Broadway" brand name on the top-left of the mirror printed on a protective film that can be removed? I tried picking at the edge of the mirror to see if there's a film, but didn't notice any as far as I could tell.

I read in one of the reviews that you can use a razor blade to scrape it off. I haven't done so some it's not intrusive to me

Hi Folks,

I was able to remove diming in all 3 mirrors

For rear view mirror, remove the trim piece, then just unplug the one wire going into the rear view (very easily reverse-able):

For side view mirrors, pop the mirror cap off as shown here (remember to turn off the auto fold function):

You will see several wire bundles going into the back of the mirror. 1 fat one controls the mirror tilt. 1 plugs in for folding. 1-2 run to the antennas (pretty cool they are in the mirrors)

*Which leaves 2 skinnier bundles of wire that appear to be wrapped with electrical tape. You'll need to cut back the "electrical tape sheathing" without severing or stripping the wires

Here's my video:
**If you find a red and green striped bundle, you hit the jackpot. Cut one of them and you are good to rewrap and close up. If you find two black wires those control the defrost function. Do not cut those or you will join me in the cold mirror experimental club until you solder them back.

I'l recommend a $10 set of these tools to keep your plastic looking good: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8GHB7O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi Folks,

I was able to remove diming in all 3 mirrors

For rear view mirror, remove the trim piece, then just unplug the one wire going into the rear view (very easily reverse-able):

For side view mirrors, pop the mirror cap off as shown here (remember to turn off the auto fold function):

You will see several wire bundles going into the back of the mirror. 1 fat one controls the mirror tilt. 1 plugs in for folding. 1-2 run to the antennas (pretty cool they are in the mirrors)

*Which leaves 2 skinnier bundles of wire that appear to be wrapped with electrical tape. You'll need to cut back the "electrical tape sheathing" without severing or stripping the wires

Here's my video:
**If you find a red and green striped bundle, you hit the jackpot. Cut one of them and you are good to rewrap and close up. If you find two black wires those control the defrost function. Do not cut those or you will join me in the cold mirror experimental club until you solder them back.

I'l recommend a $10 set of these tools to keep your plastic looking good: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8GHB7O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great info, especially on the rear view mirror.

However, for the side mirrors, I suggest just pulling the mirror piece off and unplugging the one cable and taping it up as shown in the link below instead of cutting any wires.:

Auto Dimming Mirrors.... Kinda Dark

So is it supposed to dim when you're just backing up at night with no headlights behind you? Because mine remained dim even tho I heard it's proportional to lights behind you.
I really don't like this feature.

Plus my mirrors aren't even tinted yet but driving at night is much harder than my Civic Hybrid was. Maybe the sleek window placement is the main culprit.

So is it supposed to dim when you're just backing up at night with no headlights behind you? Because mine remained dim even tho I heard it's proportional to lights behind you.
I really don't like this feature.

Plus my mirrors aren't even tinted yet but driving at night is much harder than my Civic Hybrid was. Maybe the sleek window placement is the main culprit.
The mirrors have never dimmed proportionately to the amount of ambient lighting for me. It's either dimmed or not. As far as I can tell, it's related to when sunset and sunrise occur at the car's location. Putting the car in reverse doesn't undim the mirrors at night.

I've mostly gotten used to the dark mirrors at night and the Broadway snap-on mirror (mentioned upthread) has helped a lot with rear vision.

Last edited:
Can the tint level be software controlled? That would be awesome. Tesla could eventually roll out an update to make the tint level customizable and associate it with profiles. I always assumed, though, that it was a dumb system that couldn't be controlled.

BTW, I absolutely love the side mirror dimming on my S. I wouldn't give it up, even if it were too dark or not dark enough. I used to have to physically move my side mirrors into useless positions before my S so that I wouldn't constantly have bright lights shining in my eyes on my frequent night trips across Missouri. With the S it's not a problem anymore, and frankly, as dumb as it sounds, it's probably one of my favorite features about the S over prior cars I've owned.

Can the tint level be software controlled? That would be awesome. Tesla could eventually roll out an update to make the tint level customizable and associate it with profiles. I always assumed, though, that it was a dumb system that couldn't be controlled.
Based on the owner's manual, that's the intent -- the mirrors should dim to different levels based on lighting conditions. It just isn't implemented (yet). It would be great if they also offered the option for user customization.

I got 30% tinted all around and this made the auto-dimmed mirrors too dark for safety. Seems absurd that one can't just disable the auto dimming as an option. In previous cars with no tinting, I would often prefer it with no dim.

I followed this video and managed to disconnect the wire on the rearview mirror, now my visibility is just fine at night.

It was about 10 times harder for me to do it than the guy in the video, but it worked, and nothing is damaged. I think if I had to do it again, it'd be only be about 3 times as hard.

There is still the issue of the side mirrors. Just fixing the rearview mirror greatly resolved my visibility issues, so it's not too urgent, but it'd still be nice to not have the sides dim. I think I'll try what was suggested previously in this thread of popping off just the mirror glass and disconnecting there (just a little hesitant, concerned I might break something). Auto Dimming Mirrors.... Kinda Dark

Reactions: brandonee916