Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Dimming Mirrors.... Kinda Dark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, having had a 3 and an S now, I can comment that I think the dimming performance is different between the two. Not sure if it's just a matter of component quality or a real design or part difference between the S and 3, but it is my opinion that my 2014 S has better dimming performance than my 2020 3. The 3 sometimes is still dimmed even after there are no longer any cars behind me for an extended distance and occasionally won't dim when there is a car behind me. The S mirror dimming performance, however, has always been spot on, dimming only for headlights right behind me.

No longer a feature No more auto-dimming mirrors on Model 3?

I guess they were too expensive for a feature that wasn't very appreciated.

Oh they're appreciated. This is a standard feature on mid range European brands like BMW/MBZ/Audi so for many of us converts (bc who wasn't a convert from another brand), removal of a basic feature like this just cheapens the brand. Maybe if they had programmed the mirrors to dim properly or added optional sensitivity adjustments, people would have loved it. Removal is just Tesla cutting costs.

Reactions: Lobstahz
Oh they're appreciated. This is a standard feature on mid range European brands like BMW/MBZ/Audi so for many of us converts (bc who wasn't a convert from another brand), removal of a basic feature like this just cheapens the brand. Maybe if they had programmed the mirrors to dim properly or added optional sensitivity adjustments, people would have loved it. Removal is just Tesla cutting costs.

it is one of my least liked parts if my model 3. So, not everyone appreciates it.

it is one of my least liked parts if my model 3. So, not everyone appreciates it.

Like I said, it's because the way they behave is not typical of how autodimming mirrors act like on European cars, where it is seamless and convenient. But I guess if you're coming from cars that didn't have the feature then you wouldn't be able to appreciate them since they don't work right on the TM3, which work like they are on an on and off switch. On my BMW M3 they variably dim based on how bright the source is even when it is dark and I have tint, they only dim strongly if there is like a truck behind me with their high beams on. Once the source of light goes away, the dimming is turned off.

But what is really the bigger issue is Tesla is doing something I've never seen any other premium manufacture do, which is remove hardware features as the car matures. It's usually the other way around, features get added. Don't start with the software updates. That is great and all, but they shouldn't be removing or deleting hardware. First it was the LED door pocket lights, then frunk hooks, then frunk mat, then dead pedal, and now the autodimming side mirrors. What's next, seatbelts, door seals, interior carpets, footwell lights, and paint? They need to stop with the cost cutting, it really cheapens the car and brand.

Like I said, it's because the way they behave is not typical of how autodimming mirrors act like on European cars, where it is seamless and convenient. But I guess if you're coming from cars that didn't have the feature then you wouldn't be able to appreciate them since they don't work right on the TM3, which work like they are on an on and off switch. On my BMW M3 they variably dim based on how bright the source is even when it is dark and I have tint, they only dim strongly if there is like a truck behind me with their high beams on. Once the source of light goes away, the dimming is turned off.

But what is really the bigger issue is Tesla is doing something I've never seen any other premium manufacture do, which is remove hardware features as the car matures. It's usually the other way around, features get added. Don't start with the software updates. That is great and all, but they shouldn't be removing or deleting hardware. First it was the LED door pocket lights, then frunk hooks, then frunk mat, then dead pedal, and now the autodimming side mirrors. What's next, seatbelts, door seals, interior carpets, footwell lights, and paint? They need to stop with the cost cutting, it really cheapens the car and brand.

I guess my several BMWs before the Model 3 didn’t prepare me properly to judge if a feature is useful. I’ll defer to your judgements in the future.

I do agree, BMWs implementation is far superior.

This is why I'm not planning on buying a new Model 3 if I end up upgrading to a performance. I refuse to pay more for less features. Instead, I will find a lightly used 2019 model with all the features present.

Reactions: Park2670
I can’t believe Tesla has not addressed this issue to date. My new model 3 LR mirrors are absolutely too dark at night with no window tinting! And I noticed it at the absolute worst time doing a quick blast on the interstate on ramp at dusk! I was like, WTF?? Number one and only biggest gripe with the car so far.

So wait? New cars don’t have auto dimming mirrors? Then I might have to cancel the car I am planning to pick up next week. It is down right dangerous without that feature.

The site still lists the side mirrors as being auto dimming though.

You can disconnect the side mirror auto dimming feature. It's separate from the positioning controls and not too hard to do (just have to have confidence popping the mirrors out). I did that, hoping they'd eventually fix this in software somehow.

No easy disconnect for the rearview, but you can put another (better) mirror over top pretty easily.

Your car will have the dimming mirrors. I’ve only had my M3 for a week. They are just absolutely way too dark for my liking:(

Good, had them on my S and on my current 3 and they are awesome in my opinion. Why are they too dark? The point is you are supposed to see headlights in them without being blinded by the light, that means you won’t see as much as clarity as during the day of course but is that a problem at night when it is dark either way?