Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto headlights with wipers function deleted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it can rain on a bright day but deluges as is being mentioned nearly always means clouds full of rain i.e. dark clouds. Not making excuses for Tesla not turning lights on automatically but I cant remember seeing a deluge where I cant see, on a bright day?!
A rainstorm that required me to use wipers at 2:30pm happened just this afternoon in MA. Auto headlights stayed off, of course.

I would really like to hear the background of this decision to remove auto-headlights when the wipers are on.

I doubt it was a decision. I'm certain it is a bug.

And, like every other bug in this rolling fleet of beta, it will go uncorrected for quite some time since Tesla has no feedback protocol in place.

Software fixes always produce bugs and in-house testing will rarely catch them all since such steps focus on the recently trimmed trees rather than the forest let alone trees on the other side of the forest. Tesla’s biggest mistake is that they don’t capitalize on their built in bug report system by regularly pulling those reports and putting AI tech to the task of parsing them. Aggregates and correlations could be used to ferret recent bugs (reported as a single item with impact percentage to teams having made recent code changes) as well as recognizing feature interests for future enhancements. Heck, we know they track some data (e.g., passenger lumbar) even if the analysis may be flawed or based on economics (e.g., determining low frequency lumbar changes meant no need for lumbar support during chip shortage).

I wonder if everyone here affected reported the bug / issue by requesting mobile service, it might raise the attention level.

Obviously service isn't going to be able to fix it (unless there's a bug fix software update ready for them to push), and make sure you don't agree to any diagnosis costs. Just make it clear this used to work, it stopped working, and you expect Tesla to fix it, presumably with a software update. Your goal is *not* to waste their tech's time with an actual service visit (please don't let that happen :), they're overworked already), your goal is to raise awareness by using the service appointment as a way to escalate.

It'll be a few weeks till I drive my Model 3 again. If this bug still exists I'll absolutely follow my own suggestion here.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
I wonder if everyone here affected reported the bug / issue by requesting mobile service, it might raise the attention level.

Obviously service isn't going to be able to fix it (unless there's a bug fix software update ready for them to push), and make sure you don't agree to any diagnosis costs. Just make it clear this used to work, it stopped working, and you expect Tesla to fix it, presumably with a software update. Your goal is *not* to waste their tech's time with an actual service visit (please don't let that happen :), they're overworked already), your goal is to raise awareness by using the service appointment as a way to escalate.

It'll be a few weeks till I drive my Model 3 again. If this bug still exists I'll absolutely follow my own suggestion here.

I wish that was possible around here but, if I start a service ticket then try to convince them it can be resolved OTA if only they pass it on to HQ, the Chicago team simply cancels the service altogether and it ends there. I tried with voice commands that worked then were removed (hands free radio/streaming channel selection).

Good Idea if it only worked everywhere.

I wish that was possible around here but, if I start a service ticket then try to convince them it can be resolved OTA if only they pass it on to HQ, the Chicago team simply cancels the service altogether and it ends there. I tried with voice commands that worked then were removed (hands free radio/streaming channel selection).

Good Idea if it only worked everywhere.
Ah that's unfortunate. I filed a service request a bit ago for a software bug affecting my S and the local service center at least claimed they would escalate it. No idea if they actually did though...the bug is still there last I checked.

In my previous cars, I also had to turn the lights on manually. But this was a function supplied by a button/knob that could be activated without taking my eyes off the road. Having to take my eyes off the road to do a couple of screen touches is extremely unsafe. To me there are a few good solutions - enable the voice command to turn the lights on/off, have an user selectable option to auto turn lights on when wipers come on, or perhaps enable a left scroll wheel click to toggle the lights on/off.

Reactions: skygraff
Apparently a software update has deleted the headlights on when windshield wipers are on function. Noticed no headlight icon in torrential Florida rain this afternoon. This is potentially catastrophically unsafe. My 2004 Toyota Avalon still does it. This function needs to be restored now,
I totally agree. I thought that I was going crazy since ai remembered the lights going on automatically. Has anyone contacted a Tesla about this? This is crazy.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
I just noticed this in a trip recently, I can't believe I've been driving with my headlights off in the rain all this time! How was this not part of the release notes? How is this just not a configurable option!!! It's insanely dangerous to be driving around without headlights when the wipers are on, and illegal in my state. I'm sure I'd be found liable if an accident were to occur and the footage showed I did not have headlights on.

Annoying.

With the v11 update, if you flick the stalk to flash your brights, a small card appears a the bottom of the screen with light controls and you can quickly hit ON for the headlights. Operates much like manually activating the wipers which also brings up controls on the screen. Not perfect but maybe slightly better than we had before.
Yeah, thankfully that makes things slightly easier but I haven't had to turn my headlights on when my wipers on in any of my cars circa-2008 onward. Feels like such a downgrade in functionality and safety, and perhaps the most annoying thing is the lack of release notes around it. It's mind boggling that Tesla would silently remove a function that handles a legal requirement (and, honestly, safety requirement) in 18 US states?