Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, GEICO has always offered the lowest premium for similar coverage, though I had a bad experience with a claim a couple years ago. Allstate has been a close second. I can't get USAA, so I can't speak to that, but I have generally heard good things.

Just a one person comment from the "domestic executive" (wife). For 25 years her job has been to argue daily with insurance companies to get them to pay for car repairs and injuries caused by accidents to her clients.

She says her worst companies are GEICO, e-Surance, and Progressive (the Flo girl), USAA and Farmers. Yea, they are cheaper, but try to get them to pay a claim. They have lots of tricks up their sleeve that are in the fine print of your agreement. Example, let's say your exhaust system is damaged in a rear-end collision. They will pay only a pro-rated amount to replace it. Thus, if you have a 7 year old car, they will pay only 1/2 the cost because they will say your exhaust system has only a 15 year life !!! Other similar tricks to get you to pay more from an accident. She has to sue about 60% of the companies to get them to pay what is due. 99% of them will settle before going to court. This is based on her experience of handling roughly 200 cases every year.

Her favorites for fair settlements are AAA, Amica, State Farm, and Allstate in that order. Yea, they cost more, but like the old TV commercial used to say, "Pay me now or pay me later."

Her bottom line quote is that good customer service and/or good price does NOT equal good coverage payments.

I did my 2-year comparison shopping between Amica and USAA (not core USAA, but the dependent class underwriter) and Amica came out on top again.

But as with all of the above notes, insurance pricing is heavily weighted by credit scores with most companies today that your results will certainly be different.

But as with all of the above notes, insurance pricing is heavily weighted by credit scores with most companies today that your results will certainly be different.

Could be, yet we are doubtful about that. For many years we have had out credit scores blocked from retrieval and haven't given permission to check them in a long time. It seems odd that they would check scores since I could drive like hell and have a great credit score or vice versa.

In some states and locations insurance companies, or anyone you have an existing relationship with, can obtain your score regardless of whether you have an existing freeze on any of the major bureaus (TU, Experian, Equifax). Of course this varies by location/state and company. In fact any company with whom you have an existing relationship is not affected by credit freezes on the major 3 and can obtain your report & score.

If you are in the final strokes of signing up with a new company I have found will give you a general quote, but then ask you to lift the freeze before the final numbers and signing on the dotted line.

I am with state farm and saw over a 30% increase from my Nissan Leaf to the Tesla Model S. If you are moving from a more comparable luxury car I don't think the jump will be as big as mine was. That said, while state farm tends to be higher than geico or someone similar, they are much better at handling claims and such and I wouldn't hesitate to pay more for their quality. Nothing is worse than an insurance company trying to play hard ball and you have to bang your head around just to get a fair deal.

Reactions: FlyF4
USAA if you qualify through military or military relationship. My 2015 P85D Ludicrous premiums are proportionally no more expensive than my wife's 2013 Prius.
Could you help clarify that a bit? I guess the key word here is "proportionally"? Do you mean car value wise? If so, does that mean your premium for the S is over 3 times the cost of the Prius as I am guessing the S is valued at least 3 times the cost. thanks

Not to rehash an old discussion but Progressive is raising my rates even though no claims, accidents or tickets by almost $50 a month!

i currently have the Model 3 and a 2018 Dodge Ram, clean history, no claims and possibly looking to shop.

Any new feedback on Model 3 coverage or plans that anyone really is enjoying?

Thanks