Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

auto parellel parking - nothing happens after pressing "start" - anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a few times, I had the auto parking successfully identify a spot, but after I put the gear into reverse and pressed "start" button on the central screen, nothing happened, the car simply sat still doing nothing whatsoever. I did manage to get it work flawlessly from beginning to end some other time. The bottom line is, it doesn't have much problem identifying a typical parking spot, but refuses to act even after the blue Start button on big screen is pressed. Has anybody had similar experience?

For a few times, I had the auto parking successfully identify a spot, but after I put the gear into reverse and pressed "start" button on the central screen, nothing happened, the car simply sat still doing nothing whatsoever. I did manage to get it work flawlessly from beginning to end some other time. The bottom line is, it doesn't have much problem identifying a typical parking spot, but refuses to act even after the blue Start button on big screen is pressed. Has anybody had similar experience?

You actually don't touch anything other than "Start". When you touch the gear shifter you are effectively cancelling autopark.

Also, remember you need to pull forward quite a bit beyond the spot before seeing the "P". You pull far enough for your feet to be ahead of the car you intend to park behind ;)

Live in Chicago so parallel parking is a way of life here. My first few outings, I had trouble getting the "P" but since then it has worked flawlessly. Yesterday, I even pulled up slowly a second car in front of the spot to move out of the way and it held the "P" and worked - in other words, it backed up a whole car length before it started to turn into the spot. As for why it may not be working, was the area clear of other cars? One time, the process stopped because another car came up the street and really came up close to the car and the car slowed down, then stopped for a second. The car coming onto us then stopped and the car resumed its park. I am just wondering if it was seeing some other obstacle to parking that prevented it from starting? Good luck.

I've had this happen. I set up a test outside of my house with exactly 20 feet between two cars. I tried it several times, boy left and right, and it worked great, even though it cringed every time we t scrubbed the tires. I wanted my wife to try it out. I coached her through it. Got the "P". But when she pressed "start" nothing at all happened. We kept pressing it, and the button moved, but that was about it.

Every other time it has worked fine for me.

I've had this happen. I set up a test outside of my house with exactly 20 feet between two cars. I tried it several times, boy left and right, and it worked great, even though it cringed every time we t scrubbed the tires. I wanted my wife to try it out. I coached her through it. Got the "P". But when she pressed "start" nothing at all happened. We kept pressing it, and the button moved, but that was about it.

Every other time it has worked fine for me.

This is exactly what I encountered, P sign on the instrument panel, blue start button on the center screen, but that is it, nothing takes place after the blue start button is pressed, even though the screen marks the parking spot it has identified with solid lines.

(Don't yell at me... just checking...) You do have your foot off the brake when you press start, don't you?

You don't need to have your door off the brake when you press start. Let go and it will start. Even if your foot is on the brake the display will change to "auto park in progress." In this particular case NOTHING HAPPENS when start is pressed. I saw it once. Never got it to repeat.

This is exactly what I encountered, P sign on the instrument panel, blue start button on the center screen, but that is it, nothing takes place after the blue start button is pressed, even though the screen marks the parking spot it has identified with solid lines.

I had this behavior also but I noticed I didn't have my seat belt on, as I was just testing in our parking lot. Once I put my seat belt on it started working!