TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto Park reverse into garage - how to???

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by EV forever, May 5, 2018.

1. EV forever

EV forever Member

If this has been asked and answered before already, please just point me in the right direction.

We have about 160 miles on the car now, and have successfully tried the auto steer. Auto lane change is also active but haven’t tried that yet, too much traffic where we live.

I really want the car to reverse park itself into the garage, since our charger was installed on the inner wall for convenience when we were driving Nissan Leaf. Now the cord does not reach the charging port for the model 3, so I have to reverse park. I cannot figure out how to get the car to do this on its own. Tried watching a bunch of YouTube videos but most cover parallel parking. Any help would be most appreciated!

2. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

So you want it to auto perpendicular park into the garage? The way that system works is that you slowly drive past an empty parking spot flanked with a car on either side and it detects the hole and puts up the auto park icon. So if your garage is not single car width with substantial front walls on either side, it may not activate.

FWIW I don't think summon is enabled on the 3 yet, so you can't reverse the aligned car via the app at this point.

3. EV forever

EV forever Member

It is a two car garage, wall on front and side, and a second car parked on one side. I don’t think it picks it up as a perpendicular spot.

4. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Yeah, guessing it wouldn't.

5. hacer

hacer Member

Plus you'd have to drive across the front of the garage perpendicular to the driveway, not possible with most driveways.

6. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

The feature you really want for that is Summon, and it is not active yet on the Model 3.

7. Shygar

Shygar Member

With the sensors all around the car, I find it pretty easy to back in. And I have a tight 2 car garage with two big vehicles

8. Justmurr

Justmurr Member

I was asking about this same issue since I’m someone who must back into my garage. The bottom line line is that we need the summon feature to be released for the 3 before it should work. I had thoughts of painting lines on my garage floor to hope that the 3 would use those to self park but that’s not how self park works, it needs to have other cars.
    I’ve had the auto-park button pop up a few times for parallel and for perpendicular but never when approaching my garage. Love the homelink garage opening/closing.

9. EV forever

EV forever Member

Yes, the homelink works great, and reverse parking with the sensors and reverse camera is not bad. It was confusing the first time though, the sensors kept detecting all kinds of obstructions and beeping at us, even when the obstructions were 20 inches away. Have done reverse parking a few times into the garage now, it is not bad. It would have been cool for the car to self park.

10. Shygar

Shygar Member

I had to turn off the beeping for the sensors. I regularly get within an inch of my door when backing in and it's just bring at me to stop :)

11. Nfuzzy

Nfuzzy Member

I am in the same situation, leaf and 3 and shared j1772 at front of garage. I bought the 20' j1772 extension from Emotorwerks but now i am trying to get the hang of this backing in thing instead. Not sure yet which I prefer.

• Informative x 1
  12. Need

Need Active Member

Even with summon enabled, you may not be able to do this. Currently summon won't start if you are on a slope and many driveway into the garage is on a slope so rain won't go under the garage door into the garage. Summoning out from the garage is easier as the garage is flat. It will go from flat to slope.

• Informative x 1
  13. Electrastg

Electrastg Member

I've been backing in for a couple of weeks and its now easy once you get used to the lines and distances. The lines in the camera really make it easy once you start trusting them.