Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Park reverse into garage - how to???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EV forever

Supporting Member
Apr 23, 2016
Irvine, CA
If this has been asked and answered before already, please just point me in the right direction.

We have about 160 miles on the car now, and have successfully tried the auto steer. Auto lane change is also active but haven’t tried that yet, too much traffic where we live.

I really want the car to reverse park itself into the garage, since our charger was installed on the inner wall for convenience when we were driving Nissan Leaf. Now the cord does not reach the charging port for the model 3, so I have to reverse park. I cannot figure out how to get the car to do this on its own. Tried watching a bunch of YouTube videos but most cover parallel parking. Any help would be most appreciated!

If this has been asked and answered before already, please just point me in the right direction.

We have about 160 miles on the car now, and have successfully tried the auto steer. Auto lane change is also active but haven’t tried that yet, too much traffic where we live.

I really want the car to reverse park itself into the garage, since our charger was installed on the inner wall for convenience when we were driving Nissan Leaf. Now the cord does not reach the charging port for the model 3, so I have to reverse park. I cannot figure out how to get the car to do this on its own. Tried watching a bunch of YouTube videos but most cover parallel parking. Any help would be most appreciated!

So you want it to auto perpendicular park into the garage? The way that system works is that you slowly drive past an empty parking spot flanked with a car on either side and it detects the hole and puts up the auto park icon. So if your garage is not single car width with substantial front walls on either side, it may not activate.

FWIW I don't think summon is enabled on the 3 yet, so you can't reverse the aligned car via the app at this point.

So you want it to auto perpendicular park into the garage? The way that system works is that you slowly drive past an empty parking spot flanked with a car on either side and it detects the hole and puts up the auto park icon. So if your garage is not single car width with substantial front walls on either side, it may not activate.

FWIW I don't think summon is enabled on the 3 yet, so you can't reverse the aligned car via the app at this point.

It is a two car garage, wall on front and side, and a second car parked on one side. I don’t think it picks it up as a perpendicular spot.

I was asking about this same issue since I’m someone who must back into my garage. The bottom line line is that we need the summon feature to be released for the 3 before it should work. I had thoughts of painting lines on my garage floor to hope that the 3 would use those to self park but that’s not how self park works, it needs to have other cars.
I’ve had the auto-park button pop up a few times for parallel and for perpendicular but never when approaching my garage. Love the homelink garage opening/closing.

Yes, the homelink works great, and reverse parking with the sensors and reverse camera is not bad. It was confusing the first time though, the sensors kept detecting all kinds of obstructions and beeping at us, even when the obstructions were 20 inches away. Have done reverse parking a few times into the garage now, it is not bad. It would have been cool for the car to self park.

I am in the same situation, leaf and 3 and shared j1772 at front of garage. I bought the 20' j1772 extension from Emotorwerks but now i am trying to get the hang of this backing in thing instead. Not sure yet which I prefer.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Even with summon enabled, you may not be able to do this. Currently summon won't start if you are on a slope and many driveway into the garage is on a slope so rain won't go under the garage door into the garage. Summoning out from the garage is easier as the garage is flat. It will go from flat to slope.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar