Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

auto pilot could be dangerous sometimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
today i took my mx to the city from long.island. there was a short distance on 495 which is.under construction with curvy lanes and no lane markers. my autopilot went really.close to.hitting the rear.of.a.van.on the right lane. i had to take over and brake abruptly to avoid a collision. i wonder what happened with all the cameras and.sensors that claimed it supposed to be safer.than.human driving?
i am.not.counting on it after what happened.
stay focused on the road!

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
Tesla autopilot hits crash barrier (no additional info provided)

Looking at the video, I could not even see the road. Maybe autosteerig is "supposed" to see it. I don't know....

At the end of the day, we can complain all we want but in a situation like this I would just take over. We should expect the car can avoid this accident since it is "beta".

Reactions: FlyF4
While using auto-steering requires less physical involvement, it requires much more mental involvement. Anyone not heeding that requirement is a candidate for the Darwin club.
Agreed 100%

My BMW X5 has adaptive cruise control and stop & go feature. It works extremely well 99.9% of the time. Still, sometimes I have more mental drain that driving it myself. In a busy intersection in fwy, I just take over until the traffic becomes steady (even in slow traffic)

Only use AP1 in clear marked roads, be weary if close to a divider wall, and aware than any shiny road or direct/indirect bright sunlight can mess it up as well.

Love AP1 in slow top and go traffic. Do use it on higher speed clearly marked freeways but even then I do monitor it well - had too many close calls over the last 2 years.

Be aware, its a temporary assist at most IMHO. Sure hope AP2 improves one day.

-T

Reactions: Airport Dog
Only use AP1 in clear marked roads, be weary if close to a divider wall, and aware than any shiny road or direct/indirect bright sunlight can mess it up as well.

Love AP1 in slow top and go traffic. Do use it on higher speed clearly marked freeways but even then I do monitor it well - had too many close calls over the last 2 years.

Be aware, its a temporary assist at most IMHO. Sure hope AP2 improves one day.

-T
Video clearly shows camera functionality was impaired so should AP given an alert or turned itself off prior to accident, many thresholds & limits are set by Tesla, when a critical sensor like a camera is quickly blinded does it give warning?

Please leave driver out of this, we know, driver responsibilities have been discussed ad nauseam.

Please leave driver out of this, we know, driver responsibilities have been discussed ad nauseam.
sorry but I disagree, if the driver was alert and monitoring the car he'd have noticed the system wasn't functioning properly and he should have immediately assumed manual control. I've had many experiences of the car doing weird things while the AP was in control, you need to be ready for anything.

Reactions: Airport Dog