Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot doesn't seem quite ready for prime time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine the quantum leap in AP2 when all 4 cameras are fully used with full computing power of the hardware and software. Then consider if the additional optional autonomous computer hardware and all 8 cameras are used for an autonomous version of AP.

I am glad I have a vivid imagination. Otherwise I would be completely disappointed.

(Not an uneducated, uninformed rich kid = majority of Tesla owners IMO)

Majority of tesla owners dont know anything about cars or technology. its sad to say but majority are just a bunch of rich kids that want to buy the hottest trend yet they dont understand anything about it and thus are on here complaining.

Ver. 17.17.17
I just completed an almost 7,000 mile cross-country trip and now have just under 10,000 miles on our MS 75D, almost all of it on AP, Even though it was sometimes scary on curves, I love it and am looking forward to the future updates.

While reading through all the posts in this thread I kept wondering what version each of the posters are were commenting on. Some are very happy, some not. If we knew which update version you had, as I have shown above, I think each comment would be much more meaningful.

Therefore I am requesting each of you who can to please edit your post and add the Version number.

To respond to the OP, we did have an interesting experience both heading east, and west on the way home. As we left the mountains east of San Diego the temp reached and exceeded 100 degrees. As it did, our right front sensor began to show close objects. This caused the AP to move us to the left lane marker, even going over the line on occasion. As we exited the mountains into the El Centro valley the temp was up to 115+ degrees, and stayed up there until we were heading north out of Phoenix as the sun went down. Once the temp got below about 96 degrees the sensor finally went off and the car returned to the center of the lane.

The same thing happened on our return. On Friday the San Diego Service Center replaced that sensor so we will find out if the issue is over the next time we are in 100+ degree temps. Also I hope we get the new update while the car is in the Service Center. The body shop is working on correcting some fit and finish issues with the body. It was not perfect and my wife expects perfection on any car she spends $100k on. I have learned to just say "Yes Dear" rather than fight it.

Ver. 17.17.17
To respond to the OP, we did have an interesting experience both heading east, and west on the way home. As we left the mountains east of San Diego the temp reached and exceeded 100 degrees. As it did, our right front sensor began to show close objects. This caused the AP to move us to the left lane marker, even going over the line on occasion. As we exited the mountains into the El Centro valley the temp was up to 115+ degrees, and stayed up there until we were heading north out of Phoenix as the sun went down. Once the temp got below about 96 degrees the sensor finally went off and the car returned to the center of the lane.

The same thing happened on our return. On Friday the San Diego Service Center replaced that sensor so we will find out if the issue is over the next time we are in 100+ degree temps. Also I hope we get the new update while the car is in the Service Center. The body shop is working on correcting some fit and finish issues with the body. It was not perfect and my wife expects perfection on any car she spends $100k on. I have learned to just say "Yes Dear" rather than fight it.

It will be interesting to see what other kinds of limitations temperature and weather (I live in a snowy winter climate) end up having on full autonomy.