Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot doesn't seem quite ready for prime time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If i had to be completely honest from my tesla ownership until now. after all the reading on this forum and tesla owners I have seen. Majority of tesla owners dont know anything about cars or technology. its sad to say but majority are just a bunch of rich kids that want to buy the hottest trendyet they dont understand anything about it and thus are on here complaining.

Observation is right, conclusion is wrong. The bunch of rich kids with the expensive toy are all the apologists, the owners that understand the technology are the ones who are rightly observing that Tesla meets none of it's claims, oral or written.

The way I see it Tesla owes us all a refund of EAP/FSD + price difference between car purchased and similar AP1 car available at the time. Not sure how to quantify what non-working basic safety features is worth.

No it is an abject failure compared to AP1. Like you, when I purchased my car fall 2016, I was expecting "enhanced autopilot", or something better than the AP1 car I had driven 6 months prior.

What was delivered cannot smoothly follow a curve or guarantee it will stay in its lane. It's not even aware of the cars around it, than the 1-2 cars in front of it.

The autopilot behaves dangerously when cresting hills or temporarily being blinded by the sun, or losing sight of one (if not both) lane makers.

Tesla is unlikely to ever achieve parity with AP1 cars (let alone "enhanced" features) on this hardware set. It's a sad reality I have come to accept.

Moral of the story - Never, Ever, Trust Tesla or Elon Musk.

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
AP2 is already better than anything on the market. I take other makers' release predictions with a grain of salt.
And alternative facts are facts, that's tautological.
Lies and BS aren't alternative facts, they are just lies and BS.

we are talking about self driving tech not driver assist which by the way volvo pilot assist 2 for one is superior.

YOU PEOPLE? Really?

And get your facts right. Tesla is universally recognized as way ahead of everybody else. GM cruise is nowhere and not even released. Nissan is still in testing mode. And I don't care about future promises. I care about what has been delivered today.

We are again talking about self driving tech. In respect to driver assistance, volvo pilot assist 2 is superior and nissan has propilot, GM has supercruise that will release in sept which destroys all level 2 driver assistance available and then you have the new mercedes drive pilot 4.5 in the fall and finally to top it off 2018 audi a8 being the first L3 car releasing in 3 days.

When it comes to self driving cars, its Google waymo, Gm cruise, nissan and audi with no one close in sight.
Tesla is about last in the industry with a disengagement of 1 per 3 miles, while google is sitting at 1 per 5,000 miles and GM cruise is sitting at 1 per 400 miles.

How in the world is tesla superior...

We are again talking about self driving tech. In respect to driver assistance, volvo pilot assist 2 is superior and nissan has propilot, GM has supercruise that will release in sept which destroys all level 2 driver assistance available and then you have the new mercedes drive pilot 4.5 in the fall and finally to top it off 2018 audi a8 being the first L3 car releasing in 3 days.

When it comes to self driving cars, its Google waymo, Gm cruise, nissan and audi with no one close in sight.
Tesla is about last in the industry with a disengagement of 1 per 3 miles, while google is sitting at 1 per 5,000 miles and GM cruise is sitting at 1 per 400 miles.

How in the world is tesla superior...
You are comparing a real-world consumer product (AP2) with test-bed research products.
Tesla's test-bed product demonstration from a year ago was far superior to its consumer product (AP2).

The fact that a year ago Tesla was able to produce a video showing suburban navigation means that the software existed even then, and will have been constantly improving since then.

I suspect the delay is due to Tesla wanting to make the system affordable, trying to get it done without lidar, like an expensive research platform uses.

Utter nonsense.

for a large number of us, AP2 is hugely valuable and useful -- that is, on a long commute on a well marked freeway. In my case, in the carpool lane. It navigates 95% of the commute perfectly.

Yes, you need to stay aware, but the post below is negative hype. Oktane consistently just trashes Tesla. No other manufacturer that I have ever heard of today is navigating this type of commute anywhere close to what Tesla provides. Saying "Oh yeah, well they will all be better next year" is playground nonsense, it will take those manufacturers time as well to learn.

Fact is, what Tesla has done with AP2 over 12 months is quite impressive. We are a long way away from anybody offering autopilot that does NOT require your constant attention. Those of us who are experienced with AP1 or 2 know what a massive challenge true self driving will actually be. I don't see it until 2025 or 2030 myself.

Yes, the system doesn't work as advertised. Right now Tesla hasn't figured out how to make it work properly. It might work as advertised in a few years or perhaps on future cars. It doesn't work nearly as well as AP1 on previous cars, despite Tesla's fraudulent claims to the contrary when they sold some of us cars in fall 2016.

With time you'll figure out whether it saves you stress or adds to it. For me it's only slightly useful and I consider it more of a demonstration or toy until it becomes more proficient. It's still better than what most manufactures offer today, but will likely perform worse than what is available from other manufactures like Cadillac or Audi by the end of 2017.

You are comparing a real-world consumer product (AP2) with test-bed research products.
Tesla's test-bed product demonstration from a year ago was far superior to its consumer product (AP2).

The fact that a year ago Tesla was able to produce a video showing suburban navigation means that the software existed even then, and will have been constantly improving since then.

I suspect the delay is due to Tesla wanting to make the system affordable, trying to get it done without lidar, like an expensive research platform uses.

Tesla's 'test-bed product' that consisted of simplistic environment and rudimentary driving challenges had a disengagement statistics of 1 in 3 miles while Google's 'test-bed product' had a statistics of 1 in 5,000 miles while GM cruise's 'test-bed product' had stats of 1 in 400 miles.

How is it that you don't understand?

These are not ''test-bed research product'. Not everyone is gunning to sell customers cars.
GM and google are trying to run taxi fleets. Those are not research cars, these are the actual cars that will be roaming around with no driver in acouple months. Google has even signed contract with Avis to manage and clean their fleet. Alphabet Inks Deal for Avis to Manage Self-Driving Car Fleet

WAKE UP!! The world doesn't revolve around Tesla. The only one with research sdc product here is Tesla.

Tesla's 'test-bed product' that consisted of simplistic environment and rudimentary driving challenges had a disengagement statistics of 1 in 3 miles while Google's 'test-bed product' had a statistics of 1 in 5,000 miles while GM cruise's 'test-bed product' had stats of 1 in 400 miles.

How is it that you don't understand?

These are not ''test-bed research product'. Not everyone is gunning to sell customers cars.
GM and google are trying to run taxi fleets. Those are not research cars, these are the actual cars that will be roaming around with no driver in acouple months. Google has even signed contract with Avis to manage and clean their fleet. Alphabet Inks Deal for Avis to Manage Self-Driving Car Fleet

WAKE UP!! The world doesn't revolve around Tesla. The only one with research sdc product here is Tesla.
For production vehicles, Tesla currently has the best autonomy you can buy.
For test-bed vehicles, I would love to see your sources. Current data only please, not some old articles.

Reactions: EinSV
It deserves repeating. Imagine the quantum leap in AP2 when all 4 cameras are fully used with full computing power of the hardware and software. Then consider if the additional optional autonomous computer hardware and all 8 cameras are used for an autonomous version of AP. When autonomous AP works perfectly 100% of the time, that is the time to consider allowing us to not hold the wheel in the move to full autonomy.

For AP2, why not leave a few anomalies in the software for now to keep our attention on the road ahead. If AP worked flawlessly 9 out of 10 drives, then who would become complacent and start sightseeing through the side windows while holding onto the wheel. With a few unusual moves of the vehicle on occasion, I am much more concerned in watching for sudden traffic hazards and take over when necessary.

For production vehicles, Tesla currently has the best autonomy you can buy.
For test-bed vehicles, I would love to see your sources. Current data only please, not some old articles.

First of all, volvo pilot assist 2 is better than current ap2. Another is coming in 2 days that completely trumps ap2 aswell (2018 audi a8)

Secondly,
DMV Autonomous Vehicle Disengagement Reports for 2016
Autonomous Vehicle Disengagement Reports 2016

Last edited:
First of all, volvo pilot assist 2 is better than current ap2...

and from the avidly Tesla fans over at Forbes
A Week With Volvo's Semi-Autonomous Pilot Assist II

er - competitive maybe, defintively better not.

Competition is coming. Competition is good. Real world is difficult.
Tesla have great opportunities with the power of the platform fitted to AP2 cars.
Others will make bold claims and even be at least as or even more effective but most likely only under optimal conditions.
Time will tell.

AP is not the only reason I bought a Tesla.
When the rest catch up in other areas that Tesla leads, then I will have more choice.