Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot - EAP

Are you getting EAP ?

• YES

Votes: 61 80.3%
  • NO

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
False. I'm not giving up private ownership, even if I'm not actually driving the car. Many others feel the same way.
I would normally say the same thing. But I have watched a number of presentations (youtube) and I am no longer convinced. The prediction is that you will have many options for "driverless" cars. One day you need a small car and another day you need a pickup truck and another day you need a SUV. And you can then just select the car you want and it will pick you up. And because there will be so many available you would not need to wait. Maybe even schedule for a particular time of day. I just think things could be different. But until then I will have a private car. I really hope to have my Tesla at some point be the driverless car for me and my family to use at some point for most trips. It sets in my garage most of the time.

I would normally say the same thing. But I have watched a number of presentations (youtube) and I am no longer convinced. The prediction is that you will have many options for "driverless" cars. One day you need a small car and another day you need a pickup truck and another day you need a SUV. And you can then just select the car you want and it will pick you up. And because there will be so many available you would not need to wait. Maybe even schedule for a particular time of day. I just think things could be different. But until then I will have a private car. I really hope to have my Tesla at some point be the driverless car for me and my family to use at some point for most trips. It sets in my garage most of the time.

My realistic case is that I'll own my daily driver and if I need a different vehicle I'll hire one for that use case. I *loathe* sharing things and want my daily driver to be a private space that is "just right", and have no problem paying to keep it that way.

If it weren't for autopilot (as it is right now, not even what it might be in the future) I wouldn't be a Tesla owner. I have no interest in any daily driver that cannot do what it does for my mental health.

This x1000. TACC/AP1, which I have, is an absolute life saver in stop and go rush hour traffic. 99% of the stress of rush hour is alleviated by having the car worry about the tedium of start and stop. And lane control is a huge plus.

False. I'm not giving up private ownership, even if I'm not actually driving the car. Many others feel the same way.
Probably better said that vehicle It'll become a hobby, rather than widely viewed as a necessity.

There will still be areas of the country where that won't be the case but anything with population density of suburbs and up it'll be non-necessity. Certainly the multi-vehicle for families will be nigh dead.

There will be luddites fighting it, and it'll take a couple generations time for culture to really dig in. But it's coming.

P.S. Expect the airlines in the US to go through some very serious restructuring. Their profits are the local routes, they operate the long flights at break-even to lock in passengers for the short flights. Automated vehicle "short buses" are able to drop at curbside are going to kick that business right in the can.

There will be luddites fighting it, and it'll take a couple generations time for culture to really dig in. But it's coming.

I don't think it's a luddite thing, some of us just like our personal un-shared space where things are always the way we left them, and we're willing to pay for the luxury of it. I could save a lot of money by renting out rooms in my house but I'm not doing that either, because I don't simply like sharing.

"...I just like the old way things were organized better, I'm used to that."

I highly expect unless you are near home-bound you share use of spaces and items all the time with people, you've just accepted them and don't really think of them that way because that's just the way it was and is.

Never happily. The worst experiences in daily life are invariably the ones where I'm in places with other people. Loud people ruining movies, smelly people in elevators, children on airplanes, etc. I'd rather sit in traffic for 2 hours than take a 30 minute ride on a train or bus full of other people. At work, I grit my teeth and work one day per week in the shared office space because it's good for my department to be viewed as "part of the team" but if it weren't for that I'd happily come in via a difference entrance and only see my specific team on a daily basis.

it's not that i don't like people, I just know that the less time I spend around them the less likely I am to be frustrated by it. One of the reasons I go grocery shopping at around 11pm usually, unless I need something from the butcher or somewhere else that isn't open that late.

Skip the FSD, but absolutely get the AP.

AP is the next thing to sliced bread. The single most stress reducer engineered since they did the automatic transmission many decades ago. It takes a few days to get used to it, and also needs some basic common sense to know when to use it and when not to. But then after that, you simply won't drive any car without AP.

Never happily. The worst experiences in daily life are invariably the ones where I'm in places with other people. Loud people ruining movies, smelly people in elevators, children on airplanes, etc. I'd rather sit in traffic for 2 hours than take a 30 minute ride on a train or bus full of other people. At work, I grit my teeth and work one day per week in the shared office space because it's good for my department to be viewed as "part of the team" but if it weren't for that I'd happily come in via a difference entrance and only see my specific team on a daily basis.

it's not that i don't like people, I just know that the less time I spend around them the less likely I am to be frustrated by it. One of the reasons I go grocery shopping at around 11pm usually, unless I need something from the butcher or somewhere else that isn't open that late.

You realize that's pretty far on the scale, multiple deviations from the norm? "Endure the office one day a week, only because I have to."

But you are still using the same streets. Occasionally a restaurant? Even if it is a non-busy one, so there aren't people, you're borrowing the chair & table, etc.

One of my sons is not unlike that in ways. Even in a busy school cafeteria he would have a table to himself. Outside of immediate family he is VERY on edge if someone is sitting at the same table while he's eating, whether they are near him or not. We knew from a very early age he had a lot of potential for these things to be an issue, so were very active in pushing out the envelope of his world with public bathrooms and such. Public washrooms can be a huge limiter and serious health concern, too. ((It's a big thing for transexuals in areas where they have poor acceptance.))

You realize that's pretty far on the scale, multiple deviations from the norm?

But you are still using the same streets. Occasionally a restaurant? Even if it is a non-busy one, so there aren't people, you're borrowing the chair & table, etc.

One of my sons is not unlike that in ways. Even in a busy school cafeteria he would have a table to himself. Outside of immediate family he is VERY on edge if someone is sitting at the same table while he's eating. We knew from a very early age he had a lot of potential for these things to be an issue, so were very active in pushing out the envelope of his world with public bathrooms and such. Public washrooms can be a huge limiter and serious health concern, too. ((It's a big thing for transexuals in areas where they have poor acceptance.))

Sure, there are obviously scenarios where I can't get around it so I deal with it. I still go to the movies every week, but I pay to go to a nicer theatre with less-crowded seating where they throw people out for being loud. I still fly when I need to go somewhere, and I pay for business or first class so I don't have someone basically in my lap, and I wear noise-cancelling headphones to try and minimize the impact of others on my experience. I still walk on the same sidewalks but when I have to deal with slow-moving groups or whatever, I get frustrated.

Restaurants are fine, that's a thing that's always going to be loud and it's just part of the reality so I just try and make it worthwhile. I don't have the financial standing to rent out a restaurant to myself when I want to eat dinner somewhere besides my house, sadly.

It's not a phobia or anything really in the same vein, I just have a very low tolerance for frustration and I'm acutely aware of it, so I just try to avoid situations that'll frustrate me. If i have to do something like go to a party or whatever I will be charming and nice to talk to and so forth, but I'll be plotting my escape the whole time :D

Restaurants are fine, that's a thing that's always going to be loud and it's just part of the reality so I just try and make it worthwhile. I don't have the financial standing to rent out a restaurant to myself when I want to eat dinner somewhere besides my house, sadly.

Even if you rent the restaurant it's not a restaurant you own. Other people are going to be there before, and between your visits. You're borrowing the furniture and so on.

Same with those sans driver Lyft/GM cars, for example. Someone comes in and cleans it periodically. There's nothing to be out of place. I'm expecting if there are adjustable seats they'll have your seat presence on profile and adjust for you as you open the door. Maybe you pay a small premium for "ride alone" (they'll call it "executive" perhaps), to ensure you are. That makes total sense.

Maybe in the end you won't bother because you have the means and can't be bothered to adjust like you've adapted for other things that weren't feasible to avoid. But with time it'll be more and more a "hobby" and new generations of like people are going to go the other way because they don't have the sunk investment you have and/or the trade-off looks different earlier in their life.

It's not a phobia or anything really in the same vein, I just have a very low tolerance for frustration and I'm acutely aware of it, so I just try to avoid situations that'll frustrate me. If i have to do something like go to a party or whatever I will be charming and nice to talk to and so forth, but I'll be plotting my escape the whole time :D

I totally get it. Like I said, my son. It's not phobia really, it's sensations and how the sensory propagates to the understanding of the experience. We purposely bought a bigger house just so he'd have more room to put space between him and the rest at times he needed to recoup. He has an accommodation at uni for a solo dorm room because of this, for example. He'd go squirrelly within days if he had to share it with a family member much less someone he's only known for several months.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: 9erDog
So TACC, without intervention, can follow the vehicle in front, whether it stops and resumes travel?

Most cars will need the resume button pressed.

Correct. If the delay gets to be excessively long or the car sees a pedestrian near you, it goes into Hold and you have to tap the accelerator, but 95% of the time it just stops, waits, and goes.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit