Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto up, Auto Down windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ElSupreme

Model S 03182
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Ok I can't imagine that the Model S doesn't have auto down on all 4 windows.

But what about auto up? I have auto up on all 4 of my VW windows, but don't think any other manufacturer does that.

Does the Model S have auto up? Only on the driver's window? Only on front windows? or On all four windows?

But what about auto up? I have auto up on all 4 of my VW windows, but don't think any other manufacturer does that.

Does the Model S have auto up? Only on the driver's window? Only on front windows? or On all four windows?

BMW does auto up/down on all 4 windows. I was told at Fashion Island event that all 4 windows are auto down, NOT auto up.

My Infiniti has auto up and down on all four windows.

Since the back windows on Model S don't go all the way down, maybe it doesn't make sense to have auto-down on them?

My Infiniti's back windows don't go all the way down either, yet they have auto.

I used to think it was child safety, then some tech told me it's because of the shape of the doors and/or crash rating stuff. Who knows.

For our family's BMW, we were told by the dealer that the back windows come down all the way because the dealer disabled the factory default child safety. The same thing for "daytime running lights" which is apparently a suggested factory default, once again shut off by the dealer...?

Confirm up and down and don't go all the way. Look like a kid could climb thru this.

IMG_3276.JPG

I think BS reasons often surface for things as extra selling points. Turning a negative into a positive sort of thing.

I don't think rear windows not going down all the way has EVER been about child safety. It has always been about how far down the window could go given the design of the door and window.

Same thing for cleanliness of air hand driers in bathrooms. It's not about the cleanliness (in fact there is a Mythbusters where they give reasonable evidence that hand towels spread less germs). It's not about saving the trees either. Most of the time, it's just about not having to deal with constantly stocking hand towels and emptying the hand towel garbage.

In another case, I've seen claims that flushless urinals are about environmental protection and saving clean water. No they are not. They are about not having to have as much plumbing and not having to pay for the water use.

I think BS reasons often surface for things as extra selling points. Turning a negative into a positive sort of thing.

I don't think rear windows not going down all the way has EVER been about child safety. It has always been about how far down the window could go given the design of the door and window.

FWIW there was a time in the 90's when it was (supposedly) a safety thing. Case in point: a couple of my buddies had similar 98 and 99 Chevy Cavaliers. While fixing a door handle on one of them we found the factory-installed bump stops. Two bolts later and the window now rolls down "all the way." Now if the window opens to where there is ~10% or less still exposed this is likely due to the shape of the door.

As for the Model S, each window control has two detent positions for up and down, the first detent is the momentary control and the second detent is the "express" "auto" mode that will continue the window to fully up or fully down position. If the window encounters too much resistance going up it will stop and back down a bit.

TL;DR: All four windows on the Model S are Auto up and down. Some exposed glass is most likely due to door design, some were factory limited for "safety"

Can confirm, all auto up and down. It was my 3rd highest reason for purchasing the car.