Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers are awful

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I put RainX on the front windscreen. The auto wipers have been flat out - completely unable to set the correct wipe frequency. I believe it is due to smearing fooling the camera. It is easy to see why everyone seems to report various amounts of success with auto mode. It is probably down to wiper blade condition, brand of screen wash or RainX even wax shampoo may be to blame.
Well, my car is filthy and they still don’t work. Lol.

I think. They’re just terrible no matter what.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are great on the Model 3, far from it! But I've found the Disco to be worse, to the point where I normally use old school intermittent over auto.
My LR4 (Discovery 4) had fantastic auto wipers, as does any other car I’ve owned with adjustable auto-wiper sensitivity. My other current car is an Audi Q5 and it has decent auto wipers. Sometimes they wipe a little too much for my liking even with sensitivity to the least sensitive setting, but they always come on when needed and I like the simplicity of being able to tap the wiper stalk up if I want to manually take it out of auto. The Tesla screen based system is stupid. They should redesign the stalk controls so if you single click the knob on the end of the stalk change the speed down by one, double click and it increases wiper speed. Long press is for continuous wipe... or something akin to that.

Nothing is more annoying than having to glance down to adjust the wipers back and forth. Even the slowest speed setting is often too fast in very light rain. This is one thing where I really don’t know why Elon couldn’t just be satisfied with a traditional wiper stalk. You would only need to add a little sliding ring to the stalk. It could still be very minimalistic.

After seeing the new S/X steering rectangle-wheel thing (yuck) I can’t help but be thankful at least my car has a real gear selector and turn signal stalk.

After seeing the new S/X steering rectangle-wheel thing (yuck) I can’t help but be thankful at least my car has a real gear selector and turn signal stalk.

They are doubling down and removed the stalk. Crazy. If they aren't able to solve the auto wiper issues via software, I wonder if they'll be forced to install hardware in the future. I am starting to wonder if things like the auto wipers weren't tested extensively enough outside of California.

I coincidentally drove down the M3 on Friday evening and back up again this morning and the rain varied significantly over those trips. The auto wiper setting was pretty much perfect the whole time - a couple of times I was about to hit the lever but the car just beat me too it. I had to keep playing with the autopilot but could leave wipers to do their thing and didn’t intervene once.

Time to kinda contradict myself from earlier in the thread. My subsequent experience is that the wipers are good for me in the daytime but I do sometimes need to intervene in the dark as they often don’t wipe frequently enough.

The wiper controls are truly awful. I thought that they improved this on the car since reading about it from before, but they basically just go to max speed whenever there is even a hint of rain. I just leave it on off and use the button most of the time. Crazy that we can’t adjust auto sensitivity. To me it is 5 times more sensitive than it needs to be.

Mine used monsoon mode on a dry windscreen when I first drove it today.

Mine seems to do this a fair bit now. It seems to be related to milder spells of weather in between the cold spells, and seems to be significantly worse at night. I'm now keeping the wipers switched off, which is less than ideal given that the wiper control is far from easy to use when driving at times.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are great on the Model 3, far from it! But I've found the Disco to be worse, to the point where I normally use old school intermittent over auto.

I do seem to be in the minority here, but I can only speak as I find!

I should also correct my previous statement, should have said "would prefer to use", not "normally use" - the Disco does not have intermittent, only auto! - surprised no one pulled me up on that o_O

I do seem to be in the minority here, but I can only speak as I find!

I should also correct my previous statement, should have said "would prefer to use", not "normally use" - the Disco does not have intermittent, only auto! - surprised no one pulled me up on that o_O

Everybody gets one... as long as you are clear on brake vs break and they're vs there vs their :p

I'm sure that you could pare a pair of pears :rolleyes:

the Disco does not have intermittent, only auto! - surprised no one pulled me up on that o_O

Up till now, I've never had reason to think about my D4 wipers - they just work.
However, your comments prompted me to look at them more closely. On my car, the wipers have intermittent, auto, quick wipe etc - in fact they are definitely luxury wipers:)
Maybe we have different models but these are how mine work and I'd LOVE them on my M3:

Up till now, I've never had reason to think about my D4 wipers - they just work.
However, your comments prompted me to look at them more closely. On my car, the wipers have intermittent, auto, quick wipe etc - in fact they are definitely luxury wipers:)
Maybe we have different models but these are how mine work and I'd LOVE them on my M3:

The controls & functions in my D4 are the same! I just don't find them (the wipers) to operate as well as the video suggests, genuinely those in the M3 seem to work better - perhaps I need to get the D4 checked over, or just wait for another software update in the M3 to set the wipers in mine to match everyone else ;)

They are doubling down and removed the stalk. Crazy. If they aren't able to solve the auto wiper issues via software, I wonder if they'll be forced to install hardware in the future. I am starting to wonder if things like the auto wipers weren't tested extensively enough outside of California.
Man, the hilarious thing is when you see people on Teslarati or Electrek or even Reddit trying to say how great their car’s wipers work…

you know it’s all BS, either that or the folks saying it aren’t the brightest bulbs in the box. Maybe they’re part of the club of folks I see at stoplights driving with their wipers on maximum speed when it’s not even raining, so to them they don’t even notice them. Windshield wipers going on a dry windshield or just way too frequently is a literal pet peeve of mine. When I see those folks with their wipers going full tilt like we are in a Hurricane, but the rainfall rate is more akin to fog, I just cringe inside.

Man, the hilarious thing is when you see people on Teslarati or Electrek or even Reddit trying to say how great their car’s wipers work…

you know it’s all BS, either that or the folks saying it aren’t the brightest bulbs in the box. Maybe they’re part of the club of folks I see at stoplights driving with their wipers on maximum speed when it’s not even raining, so to them they don’t even notice them. Windshield wipers going on a dry windshield or just way too frequently is a literal pet peeve of mine. When I see those folks with their wipers going full tilt like we are in a Hurricane, but the rainfall rate is more akin to fog, I just cringe inside.
Yeah I wish there was a way to adjust the sensitivity of this thing. I can count the number of rainstorms on one hand that would justify the full speed wipe setting.

Yeah I wish there was a way to adjust the sensitivity of this thing. I can count the number of rainstorms on one hand that would justify the full speed wipe setting.
You in CA have mostly pleasant weather & although the cars are designed and made in Fremont, Tesla does acknowledge that they sell globally & countries like ours (UK/Ireland section of the forum) experience a lot of rain, frequently heavy. Especially so with lorry (truck) spray & dealing with phantom braking at the same time.

Having said that, even the slightest mist on the screen sometimes sends the wipers into hyperdrive so I guess we all agree that these & several other mostly software features fall far short of some of the claims made by Tesla themselves...

"...As Tesla continues to deliver more and more vehicles to customers around the world, we always aim for the highest possible level of vehicle craftsmanship..."

Less farting, rainbows, mars and games, more vehicle craftsmanship please.

Last edited: