Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I am seeing, Tesla has achieved an autonomous driving prototype. The car has perception and planning for autonomous driving and can do driving hands-free. It still requires driver supervision of course since it is a beta prototype.
I swear, that is some new level of re-defining.
Prototype, that regular end-users own, and get software updates to try out.
The car Tesla had in their secret builds was the prototype, this is a beta release. Please grow up!
upload_2020-10-22_9-31-20.png

Reactions: scaesare
It doesn't look anywhere near feature complete to me. For a start there is no display of pedestrians at all. Can it even see pedestrians waiting at a pelican crossing (or whatever your local equivalent is)?

For that matter can it see cyclists and overtake them when safe?

So far it appears that it can barely cope with a roundabout and has very narrow situational awareness. Certainly no sign of a wide area birds-eye view showing other road users and their predicted paths.

That puts them behind where Waymo was over a decade ago when they were running Project Chauffer.

Can Waymo take me from home (a small village outside Madrid/Spain) to the city? Or it is just a very expensive geofenced experiment inside a bubble that will never work in the real world on uncontrolled roads and reallity?

Hey @diplomat33 are you going to tell @fmonera that Waymo, can indeed drive him from the village in Spain to Madrid?
View attachment 601258

Do, you even know if they have any of the roads mapped in Spain?

Their own system prohibits them from being able to claim they "can do it" until they have "mapped it"!

No. I don't disagree with the first part. Waymo cannot drive him from his home to the city yet. If Waymo deployed their robotaxis in his area of Spain, it could drive him.

I disagreed with your statement that Waymo "is a VERY "expensive geofenced experiment inside a bubble"!"

That is why I gave you a "disagree".

Can Waymo take me from home (a small village outside Madrid/Spain) to the city? Or it is just a very expensive geofenced experiment inside a bubble that will never work in the real world on uncontrolled roads and reallity?

No, not yet. Waymo has not deployed their robotaxis in your area of Spain yet. If they do, then yes, Waymo car could take you from your home to the city.

Waymo is not a "very expensive geofenced experiment inside a bubble that will never work in the real world on uncontrolled roads and reality".

Elon has always been anti-lidar from the very start and firmly believes in his camera-only approach. I think he would answer "no" even if they were not close to solving these problems.
This is the same bull$#!t argument that was used to attack Elon about "Elon hates yellow, there are no Tesla's offered in Yellow and that is why there are so many injuries in the factories because they do not paint to OSHA standards"

Elon, does not hate lidar.
He treats lidar like a tool - when it is useful - he/his companies use it (SpaceX Dragon 1 and 2 spacecraft)
When it is not useful - he does not use it and states why they will not use it (it is a crutch that distracts resources from solving passive camera vision)

Elon, does not hate lidar.
He treats lidar like a tool - when it is useful - he/his companies use it (SpaceX Dragon 1 and 2 spacecraft)
When it is not useful - he does not use it and states why they will not use it (it is a crutch that distracts resources from solving passive camera vision)

Weird then that everybody else found lidar to be a very useful tool for FSD, except Elon. And using lidar did not distract them from also doing passive camera vision.

Weird then that everybody else found lidar to be a very useful tool for FSD, except Elon. And using lidar did not distract them from also doing passive camera vision.
LMAO!
Okay dude, except all "they" have to show for it is some desert sandbox!

I believe that the resources drained on the "Lidar Crutch" at Waymo definitely slowed down their progress with passive camera vision!

Remember when Elon said, "I wish there was a factory that turned out great engineers, there isn't one"
This applies here.
Waymo has great engineers, they were just distracted with stupid crutches!

Reactions: scaesare
Interesting blog from Cruise on how they are making the Origin driverless robotaxi safe during covid:

Full blog: Sharing a Better Future

here is a pic of the interior:

1*xXY_Y_z293t6dJ8RocuFNg.jpeg

A member of my paddling club is a taxi driver. He told me he has to completely wipe down the interior of his taxi between passengers. I wonder how robotaxis are handling this. Or are they just saying "We can't do it, so wash your hands and your pants after riding in the car."?

Right now Waymo can't take you anywhere in Spain. Right now Waymo is conducting R&D testing in a tiny area of Phoenix, and with safety drivers is doing R&D testing elsewhere. Right now robotaxis wherever they exist are test beds for R&D. I for one expect that the day will come when all cars will be driverless. But I'm an old man and I no longer expect to live long enough to be able to buy a completely driverless car. I give it a 50-50 chance that I'll be able to take a driverless robotaxi where I live, before I die.

But my car does all the driving from the time I get on the highway until I leave the highway. And that's worth every penny I paid for it.

• Helpful
Reactions: mikes_fsd
... The car needs to be able to make sure you don't fall asleep ...
No I don't think so. Tesla can just pull over and park.
... freeway speed L3 system as that would be pretty sweet. But, I don't think its going to happen with a Tesla ...
I'll take a bet on that.

That way it avoids the entire hand off issue L3 has.
In the case of traffic jam assist, this is a non existent issue in a Tesla that can theoretically pull over and park.

Last edited:
A member of my paddling club is a taxi driver. He told me he has to completely wipe down the interior of his taxi between passengers. I wonder how robotaxis are handling this. Or are they just saying "We can't do it, so wash your hands and your pants after riding in the car."?

Is this due to COVID-19, or was this true before? By the time Tesla has Robotaxies, the pandemic may be over.

Quite frankly, not sure how you can show your face on this forum given past 24 hours. What more do need? As with everything else that Elon has competed in, the debate will now shift to how many years ahead Tesla are.

Quite frankly, not sure how you can show your face on this forum given past 24 hours. What more do need? As with everything else that Elon has competed in, the debate will now shift to how many years ahead Tesla are.

I find diplomat's thinking to be logical and consistent. He has strong opinions just like many of us. We still don't know for sure who's going to "win" this race, and I can still see both sides of the story.

I find diplomat's thinking to be logical and consistent.

L is for Logical...
From what I am seeing, Tesla has achieved an autonomous driving prototype. The car has perception and planning for autonomous driving and can do driving hands-free. It still requires driver supervision of course since it is a beta prototype. Tesla still has a lot of work to do to get to driverless. But this is a big step. I applaud Tesla for the FSD "feature complete". Finally.

I swear, that is some new level of re-defining.
Prototype, that regular end-users own, and get software updates to try out.
The car Tesla had in their secret builds was the prototype, this is a beta release. Please grow up!
View attachment 601244

How about everyone keep in mind that we haven't seen the faults of the new system yet? What can't it do? Where is it weak? What are the limitations and do they make it less useful than it could be?

I'm just as excited as everyone else is to get this on my car, but we are far from proving that Tesla is "almost there." Right now, everyone is filling in the blanks in their minds with what they see as the optimal solution, so therefore, everything is great! Reality will eventually collide with these ideas, and we'll all be discussing it in a 30 page thread entitled "FSD is Useless."