Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. It works in Israel, with good weather and very accurately mapped roads in one demo along a no doubt carefully planned route.

They wouldn't add cost if they didn't need to. The only reasonable conclusion is that they devided that the cameras are inadwinade.

fatal_crash_rate_2x.png

from xkcd: Fatal Crash Rate
I'm hoping that AP improves faster than my skills deteriorate.

Exactly. It works in Israel, with good weather and very accurately mapped roads in one demo along a no doubt carefully planned route.

They wouldn't add cost if they didn't need to. The only reasonable conclusion is that they devided that the cameras are inadwinade.

Or they needed a short cut, and for their purposes, the cheaper option is to outfit the car with more expensive hardware vs spending the money in R&D to perfect it with vision-only.

Out of market action
@Compton

Agree completely. I've thought about this for a while. If they can make street signs in two languages, why couldn't they put a barcode or QR code on one? Or on a traffic light? A QR code in particular can hold way more info than a typical street sign. Or perhaps change the size and shape of the sign itself depending on what it's intended to convey (eg stop sign v yield sign). This would be beneficial to almost all the cars to be built in the future.

One view of future:

Create common database each municipality road commission and police department has access to that has the geo tagged data of all signage/ traffic control points. Also use for construction zones, detours, and active accident scenes. Long term, signs become redundant to HUD/ AR access to database.

Upgrade all intersection lights to report light state. Long term light themselves are redundant.

Embed RF tags in road surface where needed. Short range transmitters for nonGPS locating/ accidents/detours.

(I'm leaning toward dumb vision though)

Reactions: wipster
Out of market action
@Compton

One view of future:

Create common database each municipality road commission and police department has access to that has the geo tagged data of all signage/ traffic control points. Also use for construction zones, detours, and active accident scenes. Long term, signs become redundant to HUD/ AR access to database.

Upgrade all intersection lights to report light state. Long term light themselves are redundant.

Embed RF tags in road surface where needed. Short range transmitters for nonGPS locating/ accidents/detours.

(I'm leaning toward dumb vision though)

I knew I liked you for some reason Mongo!

• Funny
Reactions: mongo
I'm hoping that AP improves faster than my skills deteriorate.

I concur. Relatedly, I decided this weekend that AP equal or better to Tesla current EAP is something I want on at least one car in the family, preferably the one we use for long trips going forward. It was a watershed moment. We drove 300 miles each way from the DMV to Raleigh, NC and back - down on Friday, back on Sunday. Was tired on both legs and AP was an invaluable aid. A lot less stress, and was less fatiguing than driving without it. Have used AP before but usually just little bits here and there. We are taking the grandson to Myrtle Beach in a month or so, and I was weighing the pros and cons of taking the S vs the wife's ICE SUV. After this weekend, I'm pretty sure we will take the S. I will just put some additional child protection measures in place and be careful where I park the car. The thought of driving tired vs having AP is a pretty easy decision.

Ironically, I received the latest update when I returned yesterday (21.9), that adds a few enhancements to AP. I may check them out in my normal commute, but real utility will come from the trip to SC.

Btw, IMO to have big SUVs operate autonomously may not pose a problem if you drive, let's say, from LA to Las Vegas. But it becomes problematic in dense (inner city) traffic. Since many experts believe that we need to keep the person behind the steering wheel involved for a very long time to come, why don't we help him/her by providing excellent 360 degree view. A small vehicle footprint also helps the driver to have a feel for the vehicle's outer dimensions.

self-driving%2B%25282%2529.jpg

Btw, IMO to have big SUVs operate autonomously may not pose a problem if you drive, let's say, from LA to Las Vegas. But it becomes problematic in dense (inner city) traffic. Since many experts believe that we need to keep the person behind the steering wheel involved for a very long time to come, why don't we help him/her by providing excellent 360 degree view. A small vehicle footprint also helps the driver to have a feel for the vehicle's outer dimensions.

self-driving%2B%25282%2529.jpg
Why not cameras and 360 view/birdsview? Windows are so 2015, besides they require to turn the head.

[QUOTE"]Why not cameras and 360 view/birdsview? Windows are so 2015, besides they require to turn the head.[/QUOTE]

Because experts expect that the person behind the steering wheel will be responsible for the car's trajectory for a long time to come. Btw, in the vehicle depicted the 'driver' does not need to turn his/her head.

Imagine paying for FSD in 2016, then reaching the end of your finance deal in 2020 and still not having it.

What is the current estimate, 2022 I seem to recall. Six year old cars with all the early model reliability problems, years out of warranty and FSD will be just entering beta.

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno
Imagine paying for FSD in 2016, then reaching the end of your finance deal in 2020 and still not having it.

What is the current estimate, 2022 I seem to recall. Six year old cars with all the early model reliability problems, years out of warranty and FSD will be just entering beta.
Yes. Now imagine paying for something in Kickstarter and never getting it? Same difference. Now imagine if someone paid in 2016 without being told when functionality will be available and started getting a trickle of that functionality in 2018. This I can sign up for.

• Funny
Reactions: 1 person
Yes. Now imagine paying for something in Kickstarter and never getting it? Same difference. Now imagine if someone paid in 2016 without being told when functionality will be available and started getting a trickle of that functionality in 2018. This I can sign up for.

Like many a Kickstarter I expect it will end up a lawsuit. Tesla already lost the one over missing AP functionality for several months on the AP2 hardware.