Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Complexity of china roads and driving habits is an order of magnitude harder than the US.

Imagine each car, van, and bus is an African animal in a confluence of paths. From gazelle to rhino-sized.
They manage to move around without head-on collisions, and without stoplights. The Chinese intersections you've shown seem to manage just fine too. I'm sure there is a scientific name for it, natural fluid dynamic flow or something like that. It's probably the quickest form of traffic management. When it works. I bet the human drivers screw up a lot though.

It may not be as difficult as it looks. Push ahead when there's a space, avoid anything moving quickly, prepare to stop/start quite a bit, don't hit anything, don't be entitled. Also use the horn a lot. I doubt it could be coded as a set of rules, more as a dynamic behavior. Looks more like instinct. I prefer traffic lights myself, though the EU/UK roundabouts are very good too.

New autonomous driving video from Zoox:

Good, on first view I didn't see much to complain about. The camera on the left is unnerving until you get used to it.
It's easier to watch FSD Beta videos as you know all information is in real-time and the driver gives verbal feedback on what is happening. Sped-up videos and anything with post-drive processing makes it feel like we're watching a replay of the best drive they had. Still it's something.

I'm waiting for the standardized testing results from a third party with realistic, high speed, and complicated scenarios to compare the various brands. I do fear that the testing will be done at 30mph, on known courses, and follow known routines which will just encourage brands to design for the tests.

@powertoold Still waiting for you to acknowledge your previous comments you made in the past and their validity today. It seems like you are dodging them. I have said some things that have been wrong, for example I thought Lidar will become cheap and go mass production in 2019, i was wrong. Turns out 2021 is the year. I admit that, i don't hide or run from that.

I'm not dodging your comments. I just don't find them compelling. As I've said multiple times before, you seem to be entranced by marketing media.

I've asked this before, but where do the SuperVision marketing materials mention things like "traffic light / stop sign recognition" / "response"? We got stuck on this last time.

I'm not dodging your comments.
You're. I mentioned two separate systems here, you completely avoided one. Why can't you accept the facts? You sound like this...

I just don't find them compelling. As I've said multiple times before, you seem to be entranced by marketing media.

You ain't entranced by the marketing media of Elon? That's the entire foundation of Tesla's fans thesis the last 5 years.

I've asked this before, but where do the SuperVision marketing materials mention things like "traffic light / stop sign recognition" / "response"? We got stuck on this last time.

I already responded to that before with quotes from Amnon which you refused to accept. Now here are exact quotes from Geely which you will also refuse and call marketing media while you wait breathlessly for every drop of words that Elon speaks or types.

Zeekr 001 Reveal

"In 2022, we will be the first in the industry to launch the urban autonomous driving function, so that autonomous driving can be started from your doorstep."​
"NZP City Autonomous Pilot: It can identify traffic light information and realize automatic assisted driving in an urban open road environment."​
"NZP high-speed autonomous navigation: On high-speed and express roads covered by high-precision maps, vehicles will automatically complete functions such as on-ramp, active cruise, active overtaking, and early lane change based on the navigation path."​
"AVP automatic parking In unmanned scene: remotely operated by mobile phone, the vehicle can automatically cruise to the designated parking space and park in and out of the parking space to cruise to the designated pick-up point."​
- Geely​

Zeekr 001 Reveal

"In 2022, we will be the first in the industry to launch the urban autonomous driving function, so that autonomous driving can be started from your doorstep.""NZP City Autonomous Pilot: It can identify traffic light information and realize automatic assisted driving in an urban open road environment.""NZP high-speed autonomous navigation: On high-speed and express roads covered by high-precision maps, vehicles will automatically complete functions such as on-ramp, active cruise, active overtaking, and early lane change based on the navigation path.""AVP automatic parking In unmanned scene: remotely operated by mobile phone, the vehicle can automatically cruise to the designated parking space and park in and out of the parking space to cruise to the designated pick-up point."- Geely

Ok but I don't see SuperVision / Mobileye mentioned anywhere in that? And also, whatever happened to 2021?

Ok but I don't see SuperVision / Mobileye mentioned anywhere in that? And also, whatever happened to 2021?

Geely created a new high-end premium brand called Zeekr
Lynk & Co Zero Concept became Zeekr 001.
It starts delivery Q4 2021.

5PXX7xV.png

• Informative
Reactions: croman
You're. I mentioned two separate systems here, you completely avoided one. Why can't you accept the facts? You sound like this...

You ain't entranced by the marketing media of Elon? That's the entire foundation of Tesla's fans thesis the last 5 years.
The thesis of Tesla fans is lots of hands on experience with the system, plus lots of videos of it being used by owners in the real world. Can't really say the same of most other systems, except Super Cruise (and even that has far fewer videos for whatever reason, again discussed elsewhere). There are some other nice systems in China, but I have discussed up thread why they don't tend to be visible to western audiences.

I already responded to that before with quotes from Amnon which you refused to accept. Now here are exact quotes from Geely which you will also refuse and call marketing media while you wait breathlessly for every drop of words that Elon speaks or types.

Zeekr 001 Reveal

"In 2022, we will be the first in the industry to launch the urban autonomous driving function, so that autonomous driving can be started from your doorstep."​
"NZP City Autonomous Pilot: It can identify traffic light information and realize automatic assisted driving in an urban open road environment."​
"NZP high-speed autonomous navigation: On high-speed and express roads covered by high-precision maps, vehicles will automatically complete functions such as on-ramp, active cruise, active overtaking, and early lane change based on the navigation path."​
"AVP automatic parking In unmanned scene: remotely operated by mobile phone, the vehicle can automatically cruise to the designated parking space and park in and out of the parking space to cruise to the designated pick-up point."​
- Geely​

I think one has to be careful not to count eggs before they hatch. It may end up like the Audi system, where it wasn't just late, but ultimately ended up not being released. And even when released, the capabilities have to be verified especially if it's based on software updates (so many features may be missing at launch).

Last edited:
I'll believe it more once I see it listed in Mobileye's marketing information. As of now, I don't see a traffic control feature listed in any of the SuperVision materials.

We all know what happened with Bmw's traffic light feature.

Its called "Urban driving".
This is pathetic and sad, just like I expected.
And the BMW Traffic light feature is live in the locales that BMW enabled it in.
There are dozens of features like that that is only available in some locales.
The same is the case with Tesla.

But not surprised you will duck everything. Deny and Deflect.
Why? Because it directly destroys the myth that has been pushed by the Tesla community for years.
I have yet to see a Tesla fan address it because they can't come to terms with it.

attachment.php

Last edited:
And the BMW Traffic light feature is live in the locales that BMW enabled it in.
There are dozens of features like that that is only available in some locales.

No, it's not officially deployed if you have to hack / tinker the software to enable it. You're telling me that bmw deployed their traffic light feature with no news articles / press release announcing the deployment, meanwhile there are tens, if not hundreds, of articles on Tesla's traffic control deployment? This is why your logic is so twisted.

What's even worse is that you talk about yourself admitting when you're wrong, then dig even deeper into this thing that you've been wrong about for months. Lol?

Last edited:
No, it's not officially deployed if you have to hack / tinker the software to enable it. You're telling me that bmw deployed their traffic light feature with no news articles / press release announcing the deployment, meanwhile there are tens, if not hundreds, of articles on Tesla's traffic control deployment? This is why your logic is so twisted.

What's even worse is that you talk about yourself admitting when you're wrong, then dig even deeper into this thing that you've been wrong about for months. Lol?
Here you go right on cue. Deny and Deflect. Deny the Huawei's ADS and Mobileye Supervision systems that is showing up in less than 7 months, the gravity of it and the questions it raises about the notions Tesla fans have. Deflect to something totally unrelated. This is Trump's MO. To obfuscate so you don't actually have to discuss the situation at hand.

BMW officially deployed their system in certain countries in the EU. This is a FACT. No coding or hacking needed.

There has already been several news articles on BMW urban cruise control/traffic light system already.

The bigger question you should ask yourself is, why hasn't Electrek done several articles on other car's ADAS system?
Yet there's thousands on AP, most are from random tweets/statements from Elon or random tweets, videos, comments from random users on twitter, reddit or TMC.

Electrek writes articles everytime anything remotely new and as silly as AP icon is now pink or whatever.
Why can't you ask why Electrek have such a bias for Tesla and against other companies?
Are you now realizing that like Trump during the 2016 campaign, Tesla gets unlimited news coverage?

Yet Tesla fans claim that the media hates them.
There are like 300,000+ FSD articles just presenting Elon's statements that FSD will be here by the end of the year for Teslas with no refutation.
This is why almost everyone i know believes Teslas are already fully autonomous.
We are talking about horrific journalism, as there isyet no FSD in sight for almost 6 years.
If this was trump, they will outline all his false statements that never happened.

That's why Tesla doesn't need a PR or advertisement, like Trump during his 2016 run, Tesla get billions in free ads through new articles.

nQJFyJ5.png

Last edited:
Reactions: diplomat33
No, that's an article about it being released "soon".

Again ignoring, ducking, denying and deflecting. Per for course.

As i said:

"The bigger question you should ask yourself is, why hasn't Electrek done several articles on other car's ADAS system?
Yet there's thousands on AP, most are from random tweets/statements from Elon or random tweets, videos, comments from random users on twitter, reddit or TMC.

Electrek writes articles everytime anything remotely new and as silly as AP icon is now pink or whatever.
Why can't you ask why Electrek have such a bias for Tesla and against other companies?
Are you now realizing that like Trump during the 2016 campaign, Tesla gets unlimited news coverage?

Yet Tesla fans claim that the media hates them.
There are like 300,000+ FSD articles just presenting Elon's statements that FSD will be here by the end of the year for Teslas with no refutation.
This is why almost everyone i know believes Teslas are already fully autonomous.
We are talking about horrific journalism, as there isyet no FSD in sight for almost 6 years.
If this was trump, they will outline all his false statements that never happened.

That's why Tesla doesn't need a PR or advertisement, like Trump during his 2016 run, Tesla get billions in free ads through new articles."

Why isn't there articles on the dozens of other features automakers release yearly on their ADAS system?
Think for yourself, its not yet illegal.