Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're wasting your time with these people. They don't care about your facts. Logic and reason is not involved.

Why are you trying to shut down discussion?

When your only argument is "But Tesla..." that's not logic and reason.

"Tesla doesn't report ANY meaningful KPIs around FSD" is not a "fact" that supports the notion that Waymo is transparent and open. It's another whataboutism. Waymo is just as protective of their business practices as any other corporation. Alphabet is not a non-profit.

Try adding to the conversation without stooping to ad hominem attacks.

Without watching I guess Tesla "won" because it could take the interstate knowing Waymo and Cruise cannot? Is that close?
Is he not the definition of that?

His videos are curated to only show the best of the software, but then he advertises it like it's common. He also sets it up to lead others to believe it's completely hands-free.

The Webster's definition is an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others.

That's exactly what he's doing.

Funny thing is that his first 2 Waymo vs Tesla race Waymo beat tesla by 10 mins in one and acouple minutes in another (Which he also had to intervene in).
Of-course @powertoold and @stopcrazypp won't analyze that.

So Omar staged this one and yet couldn't even get a clean "win" as he had to intervene.
Which isn't even a win as the only car which isn't self driving (moderator edit).

Last edited by a moderator:
And it runs a redlight at 19:00 with the pedal intervention

False. It stays yellow until the Tesla is halfway through the intersection.

5SGywE8.png

Yes. Foot on the pedal and through a red. Not that it matters much.View attachment 949182

TMC attachments don't seem to work at the moment. I had to use imgur to embed a screenshot. But the Tesla entered the intersection while the light was yellow. That's legal in my state and in California, at least.

And either way, the text on the screen says it's stopping for the light, and Omar decided to push it through with the pedal.

Reactions: KLam
TMC attachments don't seem to work at the moment. I had to use imgur to embed a screenshot. But the Tesla entered the intersection while the light was yellow. That's legal in my state and in California, at least.

And either way, the text on the screen says it's stopping for the light, and Omar decided to push it through with the pedal.
Yep California law allows you to enter an intersection while the light is still yellow (which as per your screenshot it did). It doesn't matter that the light turned red while you were already in the intersection. Of course people get into trouble when they misjudge the timing (not being inside the intersection before the light turns red).

"California Vehicle Code 21452 provides that a “driver facing a steady circular yellow or yellow arrow signal is, by that signal, warned that the related green movement is ending or that a red indication will be shown immediately thereafter.”

California’s yellow light law permits drivers to enter an intersection during a yellow light."

Instead of that article, I think this one is a better description of the requirements:
"As in other states, California yellow light law generally permits drivers to enter an intersection during a yellow light. This means there is no traffic violation unless the front wheels of a driver’s car cross the stopping line after the light has turned red."

Nothing in the law says your car needs to be fully past the limit line while the light turns red. It only says you can't cross it once the light turns red.

Last edited:
Yep California law allows you to enter an intersection while the light is still yellow (which as per your screenshot it did). It doesn't matter that the light turned red while you were already in the intersection. Of course people get into trouble when they misjudge the timing (not being inside the intersection before the light turns red).

"California Vehicle Code 21452 provides that a “driver facing a steady circular yellow or yellow arrow signal is, by that signal, warned that the related green movement is ending or that a red indication will be shown immediately thereafter.”

California’s yellow light law permits drivers to enter an intersection during a yellow light."

Instead of that article, I think this one is a better description of the requirements:
"As in other states, California yellow light law generally permits drivers to enter an intersection during a yellow light. This means there is no traffic violation unless the front wheels of a driver’s car cross the stopping line after the light has turned red."

Nothing in the law says your car needs to be fully past the limit line while the light turns red. It only says you can't cross it once the light turns red.
Since there is generally no way to know when the light will turn yellow, you have to be permitted to enter the intersection on a yellow light. And, once in the intersection, you are, of course permitted to continue out of it.

Reactions: KLam
Since there is generally no way to know when the light will turn yellow, you have to be permitted to enter the intersection on a yellow light. And, once in the intersection, you are, of course permitted to continue out of it.
There are 37 states (California included) where this is the case.

However:
"In Rhode Island, West Virginia, Louisiana, and Tennessee; drivers cannot be in the intersection when the red light appears."
"In Oregon, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Mississippi, Virginia, New Jersey, and Connecticut; the law is nuanced. In these states, drivers should stop when the yellow light appears, unless it is not safe to stop."
"The states of Arizona, Nevada, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Michigan, Tennessee, Virginia, Kentucky, and New Hampshire state in their driver training manuals that drivers are prohibited from accelerating to enter the intersection while the light is yellow."

The people claiming it is illegal are from Europe and Michigan, and in their laws that may be the case (for Michigan as above, when the light turns yellow, the car is supposed to attempt to stop, which it was apparently going to do, except the driver interfered). It is of course legal in California and most states.

This reminds me of the yellow light recall. I would guess this is related to it (behavior legal in California may not be in other states).

Funny thing is that his first 2 Waymo vs Tesla race Waymo beat tesla by 10 mins in one and acouple minutes in another (Which he also had to intervene in).
Of-course @powertoold and @stopcrazypp won't analyze that.
I didn't realize he had a prior one to this one. Not sure why you had to call me out? If you want me to analyze it, feel free to post the link.

Also, if he has ones where it shows the Tesla "lost," the argument pushed by others that he only shows the best results goes out the window. That's the impression I get from the "shill" label.

So Omar staged this one and yet couldn't even get a clean "win" as he had to intervene.
I called out the intervention also. It probably gave him about a minute's worth of advantage.
Which isn't even a win as the only car which isn't self driving as @EVNow would confirm only when it suites him...is Tesla!
As others mentioned, did anyone really focus on the "win"? I didn't even mention it.

Last edited:
Reactions: powertoold
What the TLDW?

Ride
The ride was free since Cruise is not allowed to charge money yet for their driverless rides.
The wait time was good, about 10 minutes.
The Cruise did not pull over for the pick up like the Waymo does. The Cruise just stopped in the middle of the road, puts its emergency lights on and waited for her to get in and start the ride.
The Cruise driving was smooth and good but slow (about 15-20 mph).
Some of the routing was "odd" although to be fair, she says Waymo can also pick routes that are not necessarily what a human driver would pick.

Customer Experience
The Cruise has touch screens on the back of the front seats that are very bright which she finds distracting, especially at night. The Cruise also does not let you stream music from your phone in the car which the Waymo does allow. The only entertainment options in the Cruise are trivia games or playing the radio.
She also feels the Cruise AV feels like a toy and is smaller, lighter and not as luxurious as the Waymo (which is not surprising since the Cruise is a Chevy Bolt and the Waymo is a Jaguar I-Pace). Cruise only allows up to 3 passengers in the back seat which can be tight, whereas the Waymo allows up to 4 passengers, with one person able to sit in the front passenger seat.

App
The Cruise app does not do multi-stops like the Waymo app allows and she feels the Cruise app is not as good as the Waymo app (the Cruise app did freeze on her when she was trying to edit her destination). Also, the Cruise app only shows wait time after you finish ordering your ride so you can't see before hand how long it might take to get your ride. The Waymo app does show wait times before you finish ordering the ride so you can see if the wait will be long before ordering.

After her first ride in the Cruise, she immediately summons a Waymo for the return trip.

Last edited: