Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you watched Tesla's presentation from CVPR this year? It also touches on end-to-end:

Yes I have. I didn't find it very interesting (not much new). Are they going to toss out their current modular architecture and start from scratch yet again? Perhaps in a few years? E2E isn't a magic bullet, and it comes with lots of problems rn.

This was the frank and good discussion I was referring to:

Full disclosure: I'm a long time secret admirer of Sergey Levine.

All talks are available here:

Last edited:
Are they going to toss out their current modular architecture and start from scratch yet again? Perhaps in a few years?

That's the fundamental issue with solving a problem nobody has solved yet and why all predications are so garbage on all sides.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, actually knows what is needed to solve it until someone does.

Tesla has thought they knew what at least 3 or 4 times now with various HW and SW approaches and versions? And been wrong every time- they keep eventually finding limits they didn't expect and having to go back to the drawing board.

Maybe the NEXT one will be the one. Or maybe the next 5 won't. And each takes years, and until one works you don't know which one will.

And it's not like anybody else taking different approaches has "solved" this yet either--- though they have deeper, but narrower, offerings in the space (L4 in parts of a few specific cities for example, or L3 on specific highways at low speeds)

That's the fundamental issue with solving a problem nobody has solved yet and why all predications are so garbage on all sides.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, actually knows what is needed to solve it until someone does.

Tesla has thought they knew what at least 3 or 4 times now with various HW and SW approaches and versions? And been wrong every time- they keep eventually finding limits they didn't expect and having to go back to the drawing board.

Maybe the NEXT one will be the one. Or maybe the next 5 won't. And each takes years, and until one works you don't know which one will.

And it's not like anybody else taking different approaches has "solved" this yet either--- though they have deeper, but narrower, offerings in the space (L4 in parts of a few specific cities for example, or L3 on specific highways at low speeds)
I agree. And If only Tesla wasn't busy fighting their crap hardware they might actually have a chance to contribute to the field instead of selling dreams and pumping that stock.

I've said for a very long time (in my local Tesla UG forum) that FSD city streets is a hopeless task right now. Highway L3 is on the other hand definitely in reach.

But Tesla can't have that because they already sold the other thing. They instead ship a (pretty useless) supervised forever* city streets FSD and start pumping the stock using pipe dreams like humanoid robots, which is a problem several magnitudes harder.

*) my car is four years old now, and I don't think it matters if i keep it four more. I still won't get an autonomous car.

Last edited:
Reactions: diplomat33
Let's cherry pick a meaningless piece of my post and write a wall of text on if I got it exactly right? Let's say it's $20 if you buy 2M and move on? Point is that pretty much everyone would pay $200 more for a car with a functioning auto wiper if given the option.
I wouldn't, given it works fine on my car. I think the post was informative. I've seen it posted a million times that the sensor costs dollars, or even cents, but didn't realize it costs considerably more, which changes the cost to benefit a lot. If it's a $200+ option, I have serious doubt people would opt for it.

Most of the issues stem anyways from not having a sensitivity adjustment, not necessarily the detection itself. Even the rain sensor cars have one, because automakers realize you can't have one size fits all, as Tesla is attempting.

Reactions: MP3Mike
But Tesla can't have that because they already sold the other thing. They instead ship a (pretty useless) supervised forever* city streets FSD and start pumping the stock using pipe dreams like humanoid robots, which is a problem several magnitudes harder.

FWIW I think L5 is WAY harder than human robots doing specific tasks.

Generalize AI in a humanoid robot? Sure, way harder than either.

But I fully expect Optimus to be doing actual work not just demos long before I expect to see Tesla L5 robotaxis.

Reactions: ZeApelido
SF police can't ticket Waymo for moving violations, that's one of complaints SFMTA has. So even if a cop saw it, no such tickets or reports would exist! They can only ticket for equipment, for example a broken light.

That's interesting. Seems like a quirk of local law which should be addressed.

Around here if a FexEx vehicle (for example) went through a red-light and the officer got the plate but was unable to give them a ticket, it would be sent to the registered owner of the vehicle (FexEx in this example). How does SF handle fleet vehicle incidents (like taxi, delivery, etc.) which run from the scene (purposfully or accidentally) so the specific driver cannot be identified by the officer?

Since Waymo vehicles have plates they would get tickets. Taking points off the license is a far more challenging item.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
FWIW I think L5 is WAY harder than human robots doing specific tasks.
Generalize AI in a humanoid robot? Sure, way harder than either.
For sure, we've had specialized robots for 40 years. Industrial robot - Wikipedia

Some humanoids like BD (now Hyundai) Atlas, Honda, etc. Lots of research ones too, like

Dennis was brought in to help Tesla build the first version btw.

However, the only (real) reason to pick the humanoid form is for social acceptance and possibly the ability to navigate in a world designed for humans (like stairs). Tesla's motives seem to be mainly stock pumping and pulling "an FSD" all over again, as the sw problem is likely decades away for it to make any sense to build a humanoid for use in a factory.

I'm a lot more impressed by DeepMind's recent innovations in software, and Everyday Robot's work with robotics in office spaces than the useless Optimus-without-a-brain piece of metal.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
The only (real) reason to pick the humanoid form is for social acceptance. Tesla's motives seem to be mainly stock pumping and pulling "an FSD" all over

I think there's an argument to be made that humanoid lets you use them in places that are, right now, designed for humans without having to redesign your entire business around a non-human form factor doing the work.

I'm not saying how GOOD an argument that is- and I think it'd be a complex debate whose answer would vary by industry too- and probably is getting way far afield of the topic here--- but I recognize it as AN argument other than just social acceptance.

I think there's an argument to be made that humanoid lets you use them in places that are, right now, designed for humans without having to redesign your entire business around a non-human form factor doing the work.

I'm not saying how GOOD an argument that is- and I think it'd be a complex debate whose answer would vary by industry too- and probably is getting way far afield of the topic here--- but I recognize it as AN argument other than just social acceptance.
Yeah, I was editing my post just now regarding that. Stairs etc. But again, the software is likely decades away, and BD already has a brain-dead humanoid that is too expensive for most applications. I think something like the Everyday Robots approach can work in offices and in factories. That form factor is a good trade off imho. Plastic for office/domestic and metal for industrial.

Last edited:
That's interesting. Seems like a quirk of local law which should be addressed.

Around here if a FexEx vehicle (for example) went through a red-light and the officer got the plate but was unable to give them a ticket, it would be sent to the registered owner of the vehicle (FexEx in this example). How does SF handle fleet vehicle incidents (like taxi, delivery, etc.) which run from the scene (purposfully or accidentally) so the specific driver cannot be identified by the officer?

Since Waymo vehicles have plates they would get tickets. Taking points off the license is a far more challenging item.
In California, generally vehicle owners are not liable for moving violations. Even when owner is issued a ticket with evidence (like for example a speeding or red light camera), the prosecution has to prove you were in the vehicle, as such the image of the driver must be clear enough in such cases to identify the driver. There is currently no legal mechanism to make owners liable when there is clearly no driver in the car.

They can however ticket cars for non-moving violations, given existing parking laws can be cited and does not require the driver to be present in the vehicle. As such, all of the reports you see are of this variation (blocking intersection or road, double parking, blocking emergency vehicles, etc).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
Seems there is an issue in Houston with Cruise taking up public charging. Coupled with the fact that these public chargers probably suck and I can see how that would be an issue for other EV owners.

Reminds me of when taxies took advantage of free unlimited supercharging, prompting Tesla to eventually put restrictions on commercial use (although not retroactively).

This time however it doesn't appear to be directly financially related, probably operation wise this is the only way they can keep cars running continuously at this moment (even with a home base it might not have fast charging).

Not sure if charge networks would necessarily step in either if users complain to them.

Last edited:
Not sure if charge networks would necessarily step in either if users complain to them.
If there is that much demand the charge networks should actually be making money, which would make them want to add more locations. (Though I suspect a lot of them are waiting for NEVI funds to get granted, not that that would likely even apply in an area where Cruise is charging.)

Ghost Autonomy released their first demo of their system.

Description: Ghost was built to generalize with universal AI, no HD-Maps, and fully auto-labeled training data. In this video Ghost drives autonomously on a road it’s never seen before – Interstate 15 from California to Las Vegas, NV, traveling 140+ miles with no safety driver interventions.

• Informative
Reactions: Bitdepth
Zoox starts deployment of their no steering wheel robotaxi in Las Vegas. They are starting with a 1 mile loop at 35 mph. Definitely not impressive but they promise to scale up in the coming months.

Since June 16, 2023, our robotaxi has been driving on public roads in Las Vegas. No driver. No steering wheel or pedals. It is the first time a fully driverless purpose-built robotaxi has operated autonomously on public roads in the state of Nevada. This state is the second that our robotaxi is driving autonomously in, following on from the deployment in Foster City, CA, in February.

We’re kicking things off with a one-mile loop around the neighborhood where our Las Vegas HQ is located, and we will expand over the coming months. Our robotaxis can transport four people at a time along this public route, at speeds up to 35 mph. The first riders are Zoox employees, and what we learn from these journeys will help us build our future public service.

We’ve chosen an initial route that will put our vehicle through its paces. It must navigate several unprotected turns and multi-way stops—all on busy public roads with cyclists, pedestrians, and cars.

More cases of stalling after SF pride parade and Waymo cars can't figure out how to handle traffic. Reports of stalling went up 3x in recent two months (May and June) compared to prior two months (March and April) Articles also mention Thursday vote by CPUC on expanding to 24/7 service.

More cases of stalling after SF pride parade and Waymo cars can't figure out how to handle traffic. Reports of stalling went up 3x in recent two months (May and June) compared to prior two months (March and April) Articles also mention Thursday vote by CPUC on expanding to 24/7 service.

CPUC hearing postponed to July 13. As for stalling, I wonder if they're driving 3x as much, stalling 3x as often per mile or if reporting stalls has just become a thing (as occasionally happens with 'unintended acceleration').