Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomy Investor Day - April 22 at 2pm ET

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't think that the custom toolset they used to build this, the new chip, the fleet, the training data, the breakthroughs in NN vision processing ... none of this demonstrates a lead?

Tough crowd.

You think their new chip is more powerful than what Waymo has in the trunk? Seriously? Cheaper, yes. More power efficient? Probably. More powerful? Not a chance.

You think Tesla knows something about deep learning that Waymo does not? You think they made a breakthrough? I haven't heard a single thing yet that isn't already well understood in the machine learning community.

The value of "the fleet" and training data has been debated endlessly, but let's just say that it is clear that they are only using a fraction of the fleet data, and that part is not debatable. Waymo has a lot of money. If they wanted more training data they could get it.

The Onion has a really funny parody piece about Tesla:

Tesla Posts Massive First Quarter Loss After Self-Driving Car Absconds With $702 Million in Cash

PALO ALTO, CA—Assuring investors that the rogue vehicle would be found and reprogrammed as soon as possible, Tesla announced Thursday that the company had posted a massive first-quarter loss after a self-driving car absconded with $702 million in cash. “Financially speaking, we could have never foreseen that one of our new Model 3s would wake itself up last night, run over several security officers, and slam its way through a double-reinforced, 3.5-foot-thick bank vault,” said CEO Elon Musk, adding that he was “totally blindsided” when he arrived at Tesla headquarters this morning to find the floor covered with loose $1,000 bills and walls filled with countless car-sized holes. “Again, just because the vehicle grabbed as much cash as it could, took a joy ride through my office, and then tore off into the night at 200 mph does not leave me concerned in the slightest. If anything, once we locate the vehicle, reprogram it, and learn exactly how it became sentient, Tesla will be stronger than ever.” At press time, authorities confirmed that the self-driving car had been found, but after a tense standoff with police, the vehicle blew itself up, taking the Q1 earnings and several officers with it.
https://www.theonion.com/tesla-posts-massive-first-quarter-loss-after-self-drivi-1834310890

You think their new chip is more powerful than what Waymo has in the trunk? Seriously? Cheaper, yes. More power efficient? Probably. More powerful? Not a chance.

You think Tesla knows something about deep learning that Waymo does not? You think they made a breakthrough? I haven't heard a single thing yet that isn't already well understood in the machine learning community.

The value of "the fleet" and training data has been debated endlessly, but let's just say that it is clear that they are only using a fraction of the fleet data, and that part is not debatable. Waymo has a lot of money. If they wanted more training data they could get it.

The answer is NO Waymo does not. Anthony Levandowski who was the Lidar guru at Google and started the whole thing there said in a recent interview "a wiser man than me said Lidar is a crutch" and "he (Elon) is right".

People usually don't understand those who are much smarter them and often even redicule them because of their own inadequacy. In the end the wiser man is always right. One of the definition of wise is to be right most of the time. You can probably figure out what not wise is, that is if you're smart enough to figure that out.

Last edited:
The answer is NO Waymo does not. Anthony Levandowski who was the Lidar guru at Google and started the whole thing there said in a recent interview "a wiser man than me said Lidar is a crutch" and "yes Elon is right".

Wow. You're going to use Levandowski as a source? The guy who stole from his employer and defrauded investors? OK.

People usually don't understand people who are much smarter them and often redicule them because of that. In the end wiser man is still right. One of the definition of wise is to be right most of the time. You can probably figure out what not wise is, that is if you're smart enough.

Well, as long as we're engaging in personal attacks, I would be happy to submit to an IQ test if you will, and we can compare scores. A real IQ test, not some random crap you find on the Internet. Heck, I'll even put myself up against Levandowski and Musk if you can convince them. Maybe they'll beat me, but I humbly submit that I think I have a shot.

Disclaimer: I've actually taken a real IQ test, administered one-on-one by a trained clinical psychologist over the course of two full days, and I know those results. Though admittedly that was decades ago; I might not do quite as well now -- carbon-based neural nets don't always age well.

Though to paraphrase the great philosopher Alanis Morissette, I will also admit that intellectual capacity alone does not equate wisdom.

You don't think that the custom toolset they used to build this, the new chip, the fleet, the training data, the breakthroughs in NN vision processing ... none of this demonstrates a lead?

Tough crowd.

As I said, I meant demonstrable by a test drive. How are any of those demonstrable by a test drive?

Several manufacturers have done more impressive demo drives, including without Lidar, so that alone is not yet a demonstrable lead.

I acknowledged the fleet and the project that goes along with that in the next paragraph you left out of your quote. I fully acknowledge Tesla’s deployment and validation advantage in the OTA fleet.

@R.SIt is obvious Tesla does not have any currently demonstrable lead (as in demonstrable by a test drive), otherwise they would have demonstrated it.

What they have is an OTA updateable fleet with certain features and a vision-based machine learning project to go along with that... and a plan to exceed others by the end of 2019 after which they should be able to demonstrate their Level 5 prowess (with a safety driver).

Tough crowd.

I’ve said time and again, both here and offline, that I’m a bit of a cynical asshole. That cynical side of me says that if they had an ACTUAL lead, they’d show it. They’d make sure EVERYONE was able to see it.

Check their stock price. They closed their worst day in two years yesterday. Whether you’re the most hardcore Tesla supporter or you’re one of the people that truly wants to see Tesla cease to exist, people can all agree on one thing: this is NOT GOOD for Tesla. They need some wins.

They spent almost four hours talking about how great their hardware and software is, and how they are on the cusp of putting a million fully, 100% level 5 autonomous robo-taxis on the road. But they DON’T show it to the world and specifically forbid photos and videos of it. You need to A) get people with money excited about this and B) get the general public comfortable about this concept.

You can look at pieces of the picture and maybe think there’s a lead there, but if you look at the whole picture, thinks start to look... questionable.

I really, truly want to see Tesla make this a reality. My struggles with believing it’ll happen don’t come from the likes of the Bladers of these forums, they come straight from Tesla themselves.

I’ve said time and again, both here and offline, that I’m a bit of a cynical asshole. That cynical side of me says that if they had an ACTUAL lead, they’d show it. They’d make sure EVERYONE was able to see it.

I say this as a huge Tesla fan who is totally in love with my Model 3: when it comes to actual capabilities, Tesla is not ahead in FSD right now. Tesla is behind the likes of Waymo, Cruise and Mobileye. They have cars that can do more than what Tesla can currently do, like navigate complex intersections completely hands free and more reliably. So we can stop the argument that Tesla secretly has a big lead and is just hiding it. They don't show off a big lead because they don't have a big lead. Right now, Tesla is still working on getting feature complete. What we saw in the demos is the best that Tesla has so far. They do have much better camera vision and computer hardware now (AP3) than they had before on AP2, and they have the software to do hands free driving pretty reliably on easy local roads and highways, including most easy intersections, traffic lights, stop signs, and highway transitions which they could not do before on AP2. So they have made big progress, not compared to the leaders, but progress compared to what they had before.

BUT, what Tesla does have is the ability to catch up very quickly and distribute that progress very quickly to a large number of cars already on the road.

Basically, the leaders like Waymo have:
- More comprehensive and redundant FSD hardware.
- Better software capabilities.
- More resources to devote to the problem.

What Tesla has:
- A large fleet of commercially available cars already driving on roads across the US that just need a software update to improve in their self-driving capabilities.
- The ability to grab large quantities of targeted snippets from this fleet to quickly train the machine on a particular task.
- The ability to run their software in shadow mode in a large number of their cars on the roads to test and validate an improvement very quickly.
- The ability to upload a newer version of the software to the large fleet to do real world testing and get feedback to further improve the software.
- An ever growing fleet of cars so the sample of data is increasing.
- Tesla can repeat this cycle over and over to refine the software.

I likened the comparison to a race. Waymo has 1 runner that is way head. Tesla has 100 runners that are currently behind but catching up.

Or think about it this way: Waymo gets to L4 first with a relatively small fleet of ride sharing cars. Maybe, Tesla gets to L3 but with hundreds of thousands of cars already driving on public roads all across the US now. And if and when Tesla does get to L4, it will be on hundreds of thousands of cars already on the road today.

Last edited:
Let’s stick to the facts and not make up stuff. Tesla’s entire expense structure is Autonomy so they have more.

Are you sure? Tesla has to worry about manufacturing cars, sales, gigafactory expansion, etc.. and Tesla did lose $700 million last quarter. They can't exactly afford to burn money. Waymo gets a ton of money from Google that they can pour directly into FSD with no other expenses. And by the way, Google is almost a trillion dollar company. Their market cap is $817 billion. They can just give Waymo a huge budget to work with. And Waymo does not have to worry about making a profit like Tesla does.

Are you sure? Tesla has to worry about manufacturing cars, sales, gigafactory expansion, etc.. and Tesla did lose $700 million last quarter. They can't exactly afford to burn money. Waymo gets a ton of money from Google that they can pour directly into FSD with no other expenses. And by the way, Google is almost a trillion dollar company. Their market cap is $817 billion. They can just give Waymo a huge budget to work with. And Waymo does not have to worry about making a profit like Tesla does.

I’m just quoting Tesla’s CEO from the 22nd. I would imagine he knows better than you or me.

Lidar is a stop gap, or crutch, and will let you to do things without a full machine learning capability. Vision and large machine learning fleet that covers all tail cases is the only way to get the last few 9's.

Tesla is the only company that is fully intergreted in this. Waymo is the only other company that makes all its components but it does not make cars and will never be able to run a large fleet. No one could catch up with Tesla in years if they copy what Tesla is doing today even if they have the ability to.

Why not allow the investors in the car to pick a route within a fixed radius?

They may not be ready for that yet but anyone else can do that? Also there is a likelihood that the route was just selected by the Nav.

Last edited:
Reactions: diplomat33

Check their stock price. They closed their worst day in two years yesterday. Whether you’re the most hardcore Tesla supporter or you’re one of the people that truly wants to see Tesla cease to exist, people can all agree on one thing: this is NOT GOOD for Tesla. They need some wins.

They spent almost four hours talking about how great their hardware and software is, and how they are on the cusp of putting a million fully, 100% level 5 autonomous robo-taxis on the road. But they DON’T show it to the world and specifically forbid photos and videos of it. You need to A) get people with money excited about this and B) get the general public comfortable about this concept.

You can look at pieces of the picture and maybe think there’s a lead there, but if you look at the whole picture, thinks start to look... questionable.

I really, truly want to see Tesla make this a reality. My struggles with believing it’ll happen don’t come from the likes of the Bladers of these forums, they come straight from Tesla themselves.

The stock price is a reflection of investor sentiment, nothing else. Multiple factors are pushing it down. The cynic in me says that the timing of the Autonomy Day was an attempt to defuse the impact of the bad results.

Ignore everything that Elon said at the event.

Step back and look at the picture objectively and you see something else.

Listen to the experts talking about their domains.

Understand that this is a moonshot, and like all moonshots, it has already produced some fantastic byproducts - but may not ever achieve all of the original goals.

For example, the HW3 board could be put in consumer packaging and sold as a standalone NN compute device. 144TOPS at 75W, for a couple of hundred bucks? IMO, this could be as revolutionary as the Raspberry Pi was.

Elon can't sell a moonshot without selling you the moon. So take the million robotaxis as an example of his ambition and not as a statement of fact.

• Love
Reactions: willow_hiller
Lidar is a stop gap, or crutch, and will let you to do things without a full machine learning capability. Vision and large machine learning fleet that covers all tail cases is the only way to get the last few 9's.

Tesla is the only company that is fully intergreted in this. Waymo is the only other company that makes all its components but it does not make cars and will never be able to run a large fleet. No one could catch up with Tesla in years if they copy what Tesla is doing today even if they have the ability to.

Except everyone else does this aswell. Everyone else uses Vision AND machine learning and they also have fleet of their own. there are literally companies whose only job is to collect, label and sell data to SDC companies.

Mobileye also makes all its components other than the car.

They may not be ready for that yet but anyone else can do that? Also there is a likelihood that the route was just selected by the Nav.

They picked the easiest highway and suburban route and STILL had disengagements.
Literally their demo consisted of like 90% highway, driving on one lane.

What breakthroughs?

tKDv3VXmIWJMFFwL.jpg

Tesla on Twitter