Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving my Model 3 on autopilot at night on a stretch of highway with gentle curves. I was driving a bit above the speed limit (what would be regarded as legal, and not result in a ticket).

So YOU are driving along, and YOU instruct the car to go faster than the speed limit. We all do it, but it's at YOUR risk.

At some point, the car could not negotiate what was a fairly gentle curve, and hit one of the plastic lane dividers. .

At some point YOU could not drive the car around a bend, and the car hit something in the road. i.e. The car was going too fast to negotiate the bend. The speed YOU controlled.

...I have not received any word on what caused it, who is to blame...

YOU, being in control of the car, instructed the car to go faster than the speed limit. YOU couldn't drive the car round the corner going a fast as it was, and hit something.

Also, when the speed limit changes, the autopilot doesn't seem to adjust the driving speed accordingly.

It does, when it knows that the speed limit has changed. but YOU are responsible for the speed of the car. So, did the speed limit change, before the curve that you failed to negotiate?

So you didn't see the speed limit change, didn't see the curve that couldn't be negotiated at the speed you had set, and you didn't see the obstacle, and didn't do anything to avoid the obstacle.

That plastic lane divider could well have been a child. You should have been paying attention.

You got lucky....

Reactions: ricohman
I was driving my Model 3 on autopilot at night on a stretch of highway with gentle curves. I was driving a bit above the speed limit (what would be regarded as legal, and not result in a ticket). At some point, the car could not negotiate what was a fairly gentle curve, and hit one of the plastic lane dividers. Fortunately, the body damage was minimal but the drivers-side glass just popped out and fell out. It was lost. Nothing broke. The glass just fell off! I contacted Tesla who said they will investigate as check why this happened. Despite multiple tries, I never hear back. They are collecting so much driving data from our vehicles but it seems they can't be bothered to even respond back. Cost estimate is $135 but I have not received any word on what caused it, who is to blame, and who will pay for the damage. Terrible! I don't really trust the autopilot. Now I trust it even less.

Also, when the speed limit changes, the autopilot doesn't seem to adjust the driving speed accordingly. For example, if you are driving in a 65MPH zone, and the autopilot has set max speed at 70MPH, and now you enter a 45MPH zone, the autopilot should reset max speed at 50MPH. It is a simple thing to do but it doesn't do that at this time.
Beta software. You are to blame.

Reactions: electrictorque
I was driving my Model 3
Did the glass fall out as I don't see the glass falling into the car.

Was it the front or passenger window glass? The reason I ask it should be easy to manually test a closed door from the other just pushing either side of the glass.

Was the window slightly opened? Fully closed the glass should be more mechanically secure than if the window glass is partially open.

Was there a metal fixture pulled out with the window glass? There should be some fixture that the raises and lower the window glass. It should have kept the glass in the door.

Could you give a specific address (i.e., Google map or Google Earth) of where this incident occurred?

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Observation:

There is a slot for the top of the window glass for both the driver and passenger window glass. There is no side rails for the glass.

Speculation:

The window was low enough that the top was not in the body slot. Then a violent steering maneuver put enough load on the glass that it 'peeled' out of the door. Since side damage was mentioned, this may have triggered a strong steering response that let the glass come out.

Bob Wilson