Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and lane keeping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes annoying but if you're ready & quick you can now tap the current speed which is safer & faster than scrolling back (& often in a contraflow you are following other cars so TACC won't actually speed up even though the car wants to).

The issue I find is that when using AP on the motorway, when I approach slower moving vehicles in front, and indicate to pull out, the car often begins to slow down and takes quite a while to realise the road ahead is clear before deciding to return to speed up to my original speed to overtake. Other than indicating and pulling out a lot earlier than is sometimes safe when the roads are busy, is there a setting I can change in the car that would remedy this? I haven't tried yet, but I'm thinking the follow distance might have something to do with this.

Yes, the follow distance is why you're slowing down 'early'.

If I find myself in this situation, due to busy roads, I just use the accelerator to manage the speed through the lane change and then let TACC take over again.

If the roads aren't that busy, I kick myself for not driving ahead far enough. The car has done a better job than I have.:rolleyes:

The issue I find is that when using AP on the motorway, when I approach slower moving vehicles in front, and indicate to pull out, the car often begins to slow down and takes quite a while to realise the road ahead is clear before deciding to return to speed up to my original speed to overtake. Other than indicating and pulling out a lot earlier than is sometimes safe when the roads are busy, is there a setting I can change in the car that would remedy this? I haven't tried yet, but I'm thinking the follow distance might have something to do with this.

Press the accelerator - you won't disengage TACC but the car will speed up immediately - just take your foot off when your back up to speed (you might also get a warning that "car will not brake for traffic" - or words to that effect, can't remember exactly until you take your foot off the accelerator).

Reactions: Empato
I paid £3400 last week to ugprade to “NoAA on motorways” half-upgrade, then used the lane change assist for a 7h journey across the country and wasn’t really impressed about it. It certainly is not worth the money.

I'm still toying with the idea of getting it... To be fair I thought the £3400 is a lot more reasonable than the £6k they want for the "FSD" which essentially in EU only does what the Enhanced does anyway - something I don't see changing much in the next few years.

Reactions: Jez_GB
I paid £3400 last week to ugprade to “NoAA on motorways” half-upgrade, then used the lane change assist for a 7h journey across the country and wasn’t really impressed about it. It certainly is not worth the money.

Useful feedback, toying with the idea and very unsure, now even more so as this was really the only feature that, for me, makes EAP worthwhile, that and showing off summon to my mates, but you only get to do that once, so would make it very expensive once I’ve shown both of them :p

• Funny
Reactions: pow216 and Drew57
To be fair I thought the £3400 is a lot more reasonable than the £6k they want for the "FSD" which essentially in EU only does what the Enhanced does anyway - something I don't see changing much in the next few years.

Based upon no evidence what so ever, by feeling is that the biggest differentiator between EAP and FSD will be the level of driver assistance or self driving supported.

I believe that AP and EAP will remain wholly as a driver aid, Level 2 ish if you like. At some point, FSD will be deemed self driving under certain circumstances and thus once it passes the relevant regulatory approval (its obviously got to be functionally capable first), FSD will offer more freedom, such as true hands off driver control and hopefully beyond.

I think the push for regulatory frameworks to be in place is not too far into the future, but getting approval will require strict testing (I know some of the industry is quite focused on defining self driving testing at present) and there are obviously uncertainties as to whether current solutions will be developed sufficiently to pass muster.

I also suspect that this regulatory approval may be at odds with Tesla's rapid rollout of frequent releases.

imho.

Shame, thanks for the clarification. I assume, in the EU, FSD still requires driver initiation to change lanes and won't change lanes on its own?

Yes, with a few exceptions. With "Navigate on Autopilot" enabled, the autopilot changes into an off-ramp lane on its own without driver confirmation after indicating the lane change far too late. I think it also changes into a lane without confirmation to change to another freeway.

At least in Germany it never auto-changes into a lane where traffic can come from behind, because there are often no speed limits on the German autobahn.

The indicators can be a bit of a faff sometimes - I usually push them past the initial resistance to the point that they stay on and have to be manually disengaged. Usually you can do this with a brief push in the same direction but sometimes that doesn't work and you have to do a brief push in the opposite direction. Sometimes that will then put the indicators on the opposite direction for 3 flashes and sometimes it won't. o_O

The seemingly strange behavior occurs when you try to cancel the indicator just after it already ended on its own.

The best procedure is to push the stalk half-way in the same direction, then release and sometimes endure three more blinks (exactly when you happened to try to cancel after it had already cancelled itself). You may be able to reduce it to one or two blinks by holding the stalk half-way for a whole second or a little more.

I think the difference between EAP and FSD at the moment is virtually nothing feature wise, but the extra for FSD buys you all the new stuff as and when it happens (which may be virtually nothing useful in the next few years) and an insurance policy if they need to update the hardware. EAP you pretty much get what they give you now and anything else is only if they feel generous. FSD is certainly an expensive option if you have a lease or PCP and intend to throw the keys back in 2 years.