Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At that exact moment, I think the meter is telling you he was essentially coasting (near 0kW instantaneous consumption). I bet if you had terrain and climate data he was going slightly downhill or had a tailwind.

That's possible, I guess.

I went back and watched the video again, and it's difficult to ever see that meter registering anything. There's one distant shot where I think it may be perhaps 20% of the distance to 100, but it's not clear.

I'll add a 4th nit: I don't like the open-ended (no numbers, no ticks) nature of the arc, especially in the interesting/controversial 450-550 kW range.

For me this is one of the most important instruments in the vehicle, so it needs to be the most refined and functional.
And that's another thing with this new regen scale that really bugs me. When I floor it in my P85+, the energy goes right up to EXACTLY 320kw. And full regen goes to exactly 60kw (and 30kw on "low" mode). I know other cars have different limits. but with this new graph and at "full electrons", the line would be as some indeterminate spot between 200 and 400. It's like "what were they thinking???"

I think it's what others have said -- everything about this new design screams that it was designed by someone who has never driven the car.
We agree here, methinks.

In fact, I *thought* the reason the ticks are 240, 360, 480 in the current UI on different configurations is because they were cognizant of wanting to make the tick marks appropriate for each configuration. Maybe the new UI hasn't had that level of attention to detail just yet. "Equipping optimism hat."

I really want to like the new UI -- especially since it's required for my P85D to use the features that I paid for (autopilot).

As for older vehicles, I understand the engineering overhead for it -- but I wish my Sig could have a setting to display (even older than) 6.2 UI. Partly for nostalgic reasons, partly because I liked some things about it better than (what we've seen of) 7+.

Assertion: arclength(0,100)==arclength(100,200)==arclength(200,400)
Conclusion: exponential
Incorrect, this is not exponential.

For exponential you'd want...
  • AL(200,400) == AL(100,200) == AL(50,100) == AL(25,50)=...
  • AL(100,200) == 2*[AL(50,100)+AL(25,50)+..]
  • AL(100,200) > 2*[AL(50,100)+AL(25,50)+..]
Put more simply, for an exponential scale if the arc length for any two segments is identical then the numerical distance for those two segments must not be the same. As such, for (0,100] and (100,200) to be matched then we know it's not an exponential scale.

How can you tell the scale for regen arc with only one non-zero data point? It could be linear. It could be exponential. It could be exponential squared.

I'll add a 4th nit: I don't like the open-ended (no numbers, no ticks) nature of the arc, especially in the interesting/controversial 450-550 kW range.

For me this is one of the most important instruments in the vehicle, so it needs to be the most refined and functional.

Nevermind, I'm an idiot.

At that exact moment, I think the meter is telling you he was essentially coasting (near 0kW instantaneous consumption). I bet if you had terrain and climate data he was going slightly downhill or had a tailwind.
Autopilot should be very good at coasting. Probably better than many people who alternate slightly between acceleration and regening when trying to maintain speed.

It would be interesting to have different autopilot modes: normal, full hypermiling, and something in between (let your speed range by something like +/- 5 MPH, set to something reasonable, so as to not cause road range in the drivers around you.

I'm guessing Tesla dumbed down the kW usage because of the TMC users scrutiny of the usage (ie: power level right below 480 kW in P85D). It seems to me they are trying to give us vague numbers instead (basically trying to hide the real numbers).

If you find another photo of him driving and that graph at 0kw, I will NOT eat my hat, but I will admit I was wrong.

Here are a few more photos, including one with him driving and that graph at 0kW, but no need to admit that you were wrong, because I'm sure you were right.

I guess you can see the power displayed in the video if you look closely.

v7 68 mp6.jpg

Attachments

• v7 38, with no power.jpg
    v7 38, with no power.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 93
  • v7 38 MPH.jpg
    v7 38 MPH.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 77
Autopilot should be very good at coasting. Probably better than many people who alternate slightly between acceleration and regening when trying to maintain speed.

It would be interesting to have different autopilot modes: normal, full hypermiling, and something in between (let your speed range by something like +/- 5 MPH, set to something reasonable, so as to not cause road range in the drivers around you.
Efficiency Miser Mode

Maybe in two more years they'll implement it. ;)

And maybe I should have tried to patent it back then. :(

In the full-dashboard picture, ignoring the power data, note that the car ahead is shown
about halfway out of the lane. Previously, I had not noticed that sideways positioning
of the car-ahead, although I have seen the representation of "our" car move left and
right in the representation of the lane. Are the adjacent lanes also represented?

Does the lane "curve" on the screen when the steering is rounding a curve in the highway?

If a car is "cutting in", into the space in front of your car, when is it represented on the screen?

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Last edited:
Just watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw7Esg-txR0
At 7 seconds in you can clearly see the instantaneous power meter moving as the car accelerates.
Good call.

Also notice that in the [0, something-small] range the color is yellow in the (something-small, something-slightly-larger] range the color switched to orange. Or maybe the camera is doing some brightness correction, or I'm just imagining things.

Random sidenote: The song is growing on me.

I'm guessing Tesla dumbed down the kW usage because of the TMC users scrutiny of the usage (ie: power level right below 480 kW in P85D). It seems to me they are trying to give us vague numbers instead (basically trying to hide the real numbers).
I guess there are a few people who watch the energy/regen meters and graph compulsively but I really couldn't care less. It's just a distraction.
When I first got the car, I looked at it and it was interesting but I couldn't see any use for it. Like any car, I press the go pedal and it goes... press harder and it goes faster. Meter goes up to some number. Release the pedal and it goes down. I guess if you are hypermiling it would be useful but for daily driving it's useless information and just clutters up the display. I turned off the graph display that used to be on the right of the screen and I'm looking forward to the new UI where the meters for power/regen are gone completely.

I guess there are a few people who watch the energy/regen meters and graph compulsively but I really couldn't care less. It's just a distraction.
When I first got the car, I looked at it and it was interesting but I couldn't see any use for it. Like any car, I press the go pedal and it goes... press harder and it goes faster. Meter goes up to some number. Release the pedal and it goes down. I guess if you are hypermiling it would be useful but for daily driving it's useless information and just clutters up the display. I turned off the graph display that used to be on the right of the screen and I'm looking forward to the new UI where the meters for power/regen are gone completely.
I want to make two points:
(1) If you don't use the meter, then turn it off. The ability to do so has been available in the firmware since 2012.
(2) For those that do use the meter, we have opinions about how to make it, well, most useful.

In simpler form, my initial reaction to your post could be summarized as "I don't understand why people are fussy about something I don't care about." That's a bit of a selfish and narrow perspective, so I presumed you didn't mean it as such and reread a few times before posting.

I want to make two points:
(1) If you don't use the meter, then turn it off. The ability to do so has been available in the firmware since 2012.
(2) For those that do use the meter, we have opinions about how to make it, well, most useful.

In simpler form, my initial reaction to your post could be summarized as "I don't understand why people are fussy about something I don't care about." That's a bit of a selfish and narrow perspective, so I presumed you didn't mean it as such and reread a few times before posting.

I am confused brianman, how do you accomplish (1) in Firmware 6.2. I thought the power/regen meter is permanent on 6.2. Personally, I love it and love its current implementation. That said, I lived with my other cars have a tachometer separate from the speedometer and I've driven cars without a tachometer. Moving the power/regen meter to a side screen allows someone who doesn't want the meter to disable it easily, but I would have preferred if that could be an option while it remained in the center w/ the speedometer. So I'm interested in hearing how your (1) is accomplished.

I am confused brianman, how do you accomplish (1) in Firmware 6.2. I thought the power/regen meter is permanent on 6.2.
I was referring to the same meter that mspohr was -- the widget. Press the scroller on the steering wheel to choose a different widget.

As for the power meter on the speedometer, that's not configurable AFAIK.