Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Tesla requires drivers to remain engaged and aware when Autosteer is enabled. Drivers must keep their hands on the steering wheel."

That is driving in my world with the car wiggling the wheel annoyingly.

I think Tesla just made their release data for AP by not providing AP.

Could that be a CYA statement? Also, did Tesla ever promise AP would be hands-off-the-wheel?

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, looks like the auto steer will require the hands be on the wheel after all :-(

Interesting they are calling it beta still. Maybe that is how they limit the liability.

They called the trip planner beta, look how good it works... sigh

"Tesla requires drivers to remain engaged and aware when Autosteer is enabled. Drivers must keep their hands on the steering wheel."

That is driving in my world with the car wiggling the wheel annoyingly.

I think Tesla just made their release data for AP by not providing AP.

Well... I'm disappointed. It looks like we're getting dumbed down half-AP. I'm going to guess that they couldn't resolve some issues in the beta testing, decided that they needed to issue SOMETHING, and so we get less that what exists in other vehicles already on the road.

At least the dash display is better looking than most of the beta leaks (and keeps time and temp)

press01_autopilot_dash.jpg

I'm still not a fan of the "flat" power meter. A little beveling/depth, would make it look much nicer. I'm not saying go crazy with drop shadows and fake glass reflections but something a little more elegant would be nice.

Damn, looks like the auto steer will require the hands be on the wheel after all :-(

Interesting they are calling it beta still. Maybe that is how they limit the liability.

Ya I think it's just a liability thing. Meaning if something happens they can always say "we told you to keep your hands on the wheel at all times." However, I don't think AP will refuse to operate unless hands are on the steering wheel. We've already seen video evidence that verify this assertion.

"Good" is subjective. It is different.
It has a full circle for power and regen vs the current implementation where it only has a half circle... do you prefer the half circle?
I have little opinion on circle vs. semicircle on this one, so far.

- - - Updated - - -

At least the dash display is better looking than most of the beta leaks (and keeps time and temp)
+ 1

If Tesla's auto steer requires more than just occasional touching of the wheel to maintain auto steer then this is not what I bought, not what was advertised, and I'll demand my money back. Guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow.

My main concern was the downgraded power meter. Looks like the new power meter is better. Has ticks at 10, 20, 40, 80, 160, 320. So actually a bit better than current meter that starts at 20. Happy about that. Wish it had at least a tick/hash mark at each number though, for some more accuracy.

Hands on the wheel for auto steering seems lame.

To my recollection, this was never stated or addressed directly by Tesla.

Elon specifically said in the Q&A during one of the conference calls that Tesla's implementation would not require hands on the wheel at all times and that he thought this was counter to the purpose. I don't recall the exact spot, but I do specifically remember the question and answer.

My main concern was the downgraded power meter. Looks like the new power meter is better. Has ticks at 10, 20, 40, 80, 160, 320. So actually a bit better than current meter that starts at 20. Happy about that. Wish it had at least a tick/hash mark at each number though, for some more accuracy.

Better than what we've seen from the betas. Looks like the numbers will highlight as you reach them as well, so that's something.