Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is our civic duty and moral responsibility to assist him in remembering that awesome throwing down of the gauntlet. He was close to getting away with it ... I wonder if Elon whipped the coders even harder to try to beat it.

Would you like Mayo with that hat, sir?

Yep, maybe we should remember him.

Screenshot to avoid to much traffic on his website ;)

Someone need to remember him: Tweets with replies by Bertel Schmitt (@BertelSchmitt) | Twitter

Untitled.png

Last edited:
To be fair, it's been more than a year since the AP announcement :p

To be fair, his article was dated "December 10, 2014"

- - - Updated - - -

Well, there is no Model D.

I hope he doesn't try to weasel his way out of it that way!

Its just poor journalism, he doesnt understand much of what he's talking about, unfortunately...

But the essence was that it was at the introduction of the Dual Motor variant, so technically only we need a Dual Motor model S switching lanes with a touch of a blinker.

It has been discussed quite a bit on here before but the context of his hat-eating is laid out in the full editorial. The Model S hardware suite cannot safely change lanes on its own without the driver making sure the adjacent lane is clear because it cannot "see" far enough behind to know that it won't cut off a fast-approaching car. In that sense I think he is correct. On the other hand, I don't feel that Tesla ever promised or implied completely unsupervised lane changes so his entire point is moot to begin with. I doubt any hats will be eaten here.

Do any of you understand the new power meter? (Screen capture from the WSJ video below.) I imagine the graph is some recent length of time, and in some way the height represents power used and regen when below the line. But the 400 mark is below the 200 mark. Also -50 is as far from 0 as + 100. And looking at the distance below the line, it would appear regen braking never achieved more than, say 5 kW (not including the very beginning of what's shown,) and that's reading the graph generously.

This isn't a complaint. I am upset about the loss of the combined power meter speedometer, but that's a separate issue. I genuinely want to know how the heck we're supposed to interpret this.

Tesla v7 Release UI WSJ-crop.jpg

It has been discussed quite a bit on here before but the context of his hat-eating is laid out in the full editorial. The Model S hardware suite cannot safely change lanes on its own without the driver making sure the adjacent lane is clear because it cannot "see" far enough behind to know that it won't cut off a fast-approaching car. In that sense I think he is correct. On the other hand, I don't feel that Tesla ever promised or implied completely unsupervised lane changes so his entire point is moot to begin with. I doubt any hats will be eaten here.

I fully understand but he still claimed that the car would not "changes lanes automatically at the touch of a blinker stalk" which is exactly what the autopilot software will do. The liability is on the driver to check for upcoming traffic and signal once its safe to proceed...

Do any of you understand the new power meter? (Screen capture from the WSJ video below.) I imagine the graph is some recent length of time, and in some way the height represents power used and regen when below the line. But the 400 mark is below the 200 mark. And looking at the distance below the line, it would appear regen braking never achieved more than, say 5 kW, and that's reading the graph generously.

This isn't a complaint. I am upset about the loss of the combined power meter speedometer, but that's a separate issue. I genuinely want to know how the heck we're supposed to interpret this.

View attachment 97758

The graph X-axis is likely the distance you set on your 17" display (5miles/15miles/30miles). The line is the rated miles (290wh/mi?), the green (not visible) would be regen.

- - - Updated - - -

He said "one year from now" and the article was dated December 10, 2014, so he can't get out of it that way.

To be fair, his article was dated "December 10, 2014"

Maybe he misread 12/10/14 as 10/12/14. :)

Hardy-har-har, I didn't click the article, I assumed it was at the unveiling. My bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Do any of you understand the new power meter? (Screen capture from the WSJ video below.) I imagine the graph is some recent length of time, and in some way the height represents power used and regen when below the line. But the 400 mark is below the 200 mark. Also -50 is as far from 0 as + 100. And looking at the distance below the line, it would appear regen braking never achieved more than, say 5 kW (not including the very beginning of what's shown,) and that's reading the graph generously.

View attachment 97758

OOO, you mean the circle around it? Nevermind, I thought you meant the graph. The circle is simple, imagine a speedomoter, it'll go past 200 to get to 400. It'll go to -50kw also.

The outside circle graph for energy being instantaneously used is not related [I guess it is in the long term] to the inside historical energy energy graph. Think of it as two independent sources of information. I think it's very clever.

The energy meter was there before, they just took the regen/acceleration portion of the speedomoter in the Model S, rotated it, and overlaid the two pieces.

View attachment 97758

The circular part is just the instantaneous power meter (the orange or green bar we have now). You can see the little mark very low near the "kW" (0) mark. It goes up and down around the circle for power or regen.

The inner part is unrelated and is just a tiny version of the energy graph we already have, except without any labels.

Annoyingly, there are no ticks or anything to accurately quantify any of this data, so it's mostly useless IMO, compared to the current setup.

The outside circle graph for energy being instantaneously used is not related to the inside historical energy energy graph. Think of it as two independent sources of information. I think it's very clever.

The energy meter was there before, they just took the regen/acceleration portion of the speedomoter in the Model S, rotated it, and overlaid the two pieces.

If that is true, why isn't anything showing on the outer part of the meter? The "current" energy usage would have to be between 250 and 300, give or take.