Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot & Cruise control unavailable??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 MS 100D with FSD today did not allow either cruise control or autopilot to engage. Rather it simply displayed an error saying “auto steer temporarily unavailable” or “cruise control temporarily unavailable.”

Also there were no other vehicles displayed in the visualizations yet the lane keep still worked.

Software version is 2022.12.3.2 and the MCU was restarted twice with no changes. Anyone else having similar issues today??

Same here, but 2020 MYP, same SW version (found thread via search). Although it doesn't "see" other cars, I got a collision warning with the red car icon, then it vanished. It doesn't "see" traffic lights, but I got the green light chime when the light changed. No traffic signs, cars, or obstructions, but it sees lane markers. Cameras are all clean with no glass or camera changes.

I opened a ticket, and just now received a "software update available", although it's the same version. We'll see what happens. If that doesn't help, maybe I'll try a camera calibration.

OK, apparently a reload of the same 2022.12.3.2 software fixed the problem, at least for me. It was "fixed" less than an hour after i submitted the ticket. I have to say that I am pretty pleased with that level of service!

Did it resolve itself?

Tesla did a remote diagnostic and found fault codes for the front radar unit and the left side fender camera. The Service appointment “could not replicate” and thus nothing is wrong…so says Tesla. The issue hasn’t repeated and I suspect was likely specific to that Software version; I’m not on FSD Beta 10.12.2.

I have a service appointment tomorrow for the same issue. It started after the software update 2022.16.1.2 for my Model S Plaid (5 days ago). They originally scheduled a mobile service, but after remote diagnosis they need to further diagnose in the shop. They are also taking the opportunity to perform two recalls (replace airbag and retrofit hydraulic control unit wake-up wire).

I also heard from others that Tesla has been getting many customer cases on this very issue.

Funny: as I'm typing this message, a new software update 2022.16.2 is now available to install. I hope this fixes the issue, but they are asking me to go in for the recall is my guess.

I am on 2022.12.3.20. Does 2022.16.1.2 have FSD beta?
Not sure. I don't have beta yet as my safety score fluctuates between 93-97. Paid for FSD and in almost a year, I haven't been given the opportunity to even try it out. I basically paid $10k for highway cruise control autopilot, which doesn't work currently. Thanks Tesla :) I may wan to do the trick where you opt out of beta, exit your car for 30 minutes, opt back in, and then safely and conservatively drive 100 miles at 3am on an empty highway and you should get the 100 score at the end of the trip.

Not sure. I don't have beta yet as my safety score fluctuates between 93-97. Paid for FSD and in almost a year, I haven't been given the opportunity to even try it out. I basically paid $10k for highway cruise control autopilot, which doesn't work currently. Thanks Tesla :) I may wan to do the trick where you opt out of beta, exit your car for 30 minutes, opt back in, and then safely and conservatively drive 100 miles at 3am on an empty highway and you should get the 100 score at the end of the trip.
I had a score of 88, so I opted out and back in and got beta within a week by driving like my great-aunt. Please let us know whether 2022.16.2 fixes the autopilot problem.

No, you're on the latest FSD.

This site has lots of good info on the various software releases:

Yeah I know about that site. I don't think the information it has is all that great. It cites the same information over and over for each release and does not distinguish between releases adequately. If there is no new release information for a new release, they should say that, instead of repeating the information for the previous release.

I had a score of 88, so I opted out and back in and got beta within a week by driving like my great-aunt. Please let us know whether 2022.16.2 fixes the autopilot problem.
Software update did not fix the issue. The car is in the shop and after day 1 the service advisor doesn’t think that there is anything wrong with the radar. They are still trouble shooting.

Are they able to reproduce the problem?
Yes, they are able to. I am picking up the car for the long weekend and will bring it back in next week. They can't figure out the radar/AP issue. They put close to 50 miles on the car and can't fix it. With that kind of mileage, they might as well bring it to the Fremont factory to get real engineers and mechanics to look at it. Really frustrated. Two full days in the shop and they can't figure it out. The radar unit and cameras all function as normal. Let's just hope that I pick it up without any damage. Wonder if they tried to recalibrate the cameras on the highway and hit potholes and sat behind a truck the entire time.

I have been having these problems on and off for a few months. Now every time this happens, I schedule an appointment on the Tesla app and ask them to reinstall the software. Version 2022.16.1.2 seemed to work but now I am experiencing all these problems (no autopilot, cruise control, or visual) after yesterday's update to 2022.16.2.

2019 M3LR