Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Besides distance between the pedals, there is also the heights of the pedals to consider. Brake pedals are usually 'higher' than accelerator pedals - in the Model 3 it is about 2 inches higher . I don't know what the specific reason for that design is, or what the industry average is, but I think its plausible that changes in that distance differential would have an effect on reaction times, odds of misapplication, and overall safety with regard to pedal application. Also pedal lengths/widths, materials, texture, tension, travel, and location of fulcrum probably have an impact. So, there are lots of places to look for faults and/or improvements.
The brake pedal is always larger than the accelerator pedal too.

More than likely, all cases will typically reveal some level of human error. But, the issue is how can the car's system lead to human error and how can it prevent it. That's why pulling logs can be beneficial even if they reveal what we already know. If Tesla made it easy to understand common events of human error they could better build a system to protect us from our own mistakes, or we could be more aware of these events which would then make them less likely to happen.

Well said. That approach is similar to what is used in aviation safety, and Tesla has done this in certain areas. One of the software updates limited acceleration when the car detects an object in front in order to give the driver more time to react to pedal misapplication. (I think it did get tweaked a bit when people complained of slow acceleration when in traffic. Safety fixes almost always have trade offs.) To me it looks like the general safety culture at Tesla is to find and fix problems to make not just future cars safer, but the ones we are driving today.

This is clearly human error but I think there are a couple things Tesla can do to help with the issue. First disabling AP by moving the steering wheel should make a different sound than disable by pressing the brake or using the stalk. Second when AP is disabled by moving the wheel TAC should be automatically set to the current speed. When you new to the car it accelerating when you hear "you have control" sound can be startling.

Reactions: TankoftheNorth