Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

Yesterday my Tesla Model 3 (2018 version) proceeded to accelerate while the brake pedal was depressed going through an intersection at 20 miles and hour (accelerated to 45) causing an uncontrollable maneuver and vehicle control loss. The vehicle failed to respond to pedal and some steering input and failed to deploy airbags upon impact with a tree and fence continuing to accelerate throughout such incident. Autopilot was engaged prior to crash. No forward collision warning activated.

The car is now totaled and will be handed over to the NHTSA pending an investigation if they want.

Haven’t crashed into any fences or trees recently but autopilot did try to kill me on a few occasions. However; I had my hands on the wheel at all times and my feet near the accelerator/brake and was able to immediately take over without incident. Have you contacted Tesla? I’m sure they’d be interested in finding out what happened. Shouldn’t be that difficult with all the onboard sensors and diagnostics.

Reactions: Trevlan006
Haven’t crashed into any fences or trees recently but autopilot did try to kill me on a few occasions. However; I had my hands on the wheel at all times and my feet near the accelerator/brake and was able to immediately take over without incident. Have you contacted Tesla? I’m sure they’d be interested in finding out what happened. Shouldn’t be that difficult with all the onboard sensors and diagnostics.
I contacted Tesla after the crash and they indicated that they want to conduct an investigation.

I've also contacted the NHTSA.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Wow. Confirmation that Model 3 is the safest car on the road. You were in a 45 mph collision with a tree, no airbags inflated, and the next day you have the wherewithal to sign up for this forum and post your story. Truly impressive.

Chalk up another one for Tesla!

You forgot the fence. It was a tree and a fence and continue to accelerate. Not only it is safe... also very powerful.

Video or it didn't happen. So you had autopilot set at 45 on a road that you should use extreme caution on. It slowed down to 20 for a turning car and accelerated back to 45 mph after the car turned. This surprised you as you were not following the warning you get every time you engage autopilot. You then freaked out and crashed into a tree and want someone to blame.

"My car tried to kill me!"
"What were you doing with it when that happened?"
"Using Autopilot on an undivided road, with stoplights. When I entered an intersection it didn't know whats going on and I crashed"
"You realize the car tells you every time you engage autopilot not to use it in the kind of roads where you used it right?"
"I called the NHTSA to investigate"

The first and glaring error was using AP where not recommended, and not being ready to take control. It will be interesting to see what really happened when looking at the logs. I'd not be surprised to find the accelerator was pressed rather than the brake.

OP glad you're ok, otherwise instead of ribbing you, we'd be reading about you in the obituary. Every single Tesla accident and death makes it on news these days

While I would agree with you in general as the driver I know that not to be the case (the police had a similar opinion).

Sorry for your experience. Do you mind sharing the dash cam footage?

If your incident is true, here is my theory: you were in autopilot, took control of the steering by grabbing the steering wheel but TACC remained on and accelerated you up to the speed limit since the road was now clear. Given the situation, this unexpected acceleration (if you erroneously thought you took full control of the car) can fluster the driver. Combine that with pedal misapplication from the confusion and you have yourself quite a recipe for an accident.

The brake pedal should always override everything. The brakes should also be strong enough to bring the car to a stop even if the motors were still applying power (which is not possible). Finally, the steering wheel is connected directly to the wheels. There is no way for the car to ignore your steering inputs.

While I would agree with you in general as the driver I know that not to be the case (the police had a similar opinion).
Do you have pictures and videos or the crash?

I doubt the police can tell whether a crash is caused by a driver or EAP. I don't think anyone can tell by just looking at the aftermath of the accident. A review of the computer logs would be needed to made any credible assessment.

Video or it didn't happen. So you had autopilot set at 45 on a road that you should use extreme caution on. It slowed down to 20 for a turning car and accelerated back to 45 mph after the car turned. This surprised you as you were not following the warning you get every time you engage autopilot. You then freaked out and crashed into a tree and want someone to blame.
No. I was the turning car.

I slowed the car down to 20 manually and it proceed to engage the autopilot in the center of the intersection.

No. I was the turning car.

I slowed the car down to 20 manually and it proceed to engage the autopilot in the center of the intersection.
How about some pictures of the crashed car? I'm sure you have them. This is all seeming very unlikely.

I have not been able to engage the autopilot in an intersection, as it doesn't have any lines on the road to hook up with. Now it will drive through an intersection, as it's been following the lines before the intersection, and can "see" the lines down the road (or follow a car through the intersection)"

It's unlikely the OPs version is correct. Logs will tell. There have never been valid runaways except the Lexus that got the floor mat stuck in the pedal. ALL the rest are frauds or mental lapses. Pedal confusion is highest with new drivers and old drivers and is lowest for experienced middle age drivers. The Toyota settlement was a legal mistake on their part. The government investigation of unintended acceleration found no possible mechanism. Big Earl is correct.

Plus the reason for the NHTSA report is because the car failed to deploy its airbags.