Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot functionality for HW2 towards the end of next week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My hunch: The first update to AP2 will contain only AP1 functionality.

The rest of the advanced self driving will come in phases over a period of a year.

Atleast that's what I would do, if I were in charge. You validate every step, set the real world feedback mechanism in place and graudually add additional steps. This also keeps the excitement and frenzy going for a year

AP2 isn't really that much functionally different than AP1, is it? My understanding is that it has more sensors, so it should be more accurate, but from a driving standpoint, the only thing that seems different from the description on Tesla's website is that it will change lanes with no drive input (AP1 required the driver to activate the turn signal) and exiting off the freeway? Is there something else that is expected in AP2 vs AP1?

The Self Driving functionality is a thing all in it's own and not part of AP2.

Expectations are it will have better blind spot monitoring, be able to Summon itself around complex objects, use navigation to determine if it should exit the freeway and take the exit automatically, navigate complex roads, have better pedestrian detection, and more.

By next week he means next month I'm sure. I wouldn't be surprised if "something" makes them delay it.

But they have a very compelling reason to deploy it before the end of the year. They can't recognize the EAP money that they have collected until the delivery the feature. And I'm sure that they want to include that month, $5k/car, in Q4.

I would love just the auto wipers and headlights at this point for my APHW2 car! So that it feels like my Signature P85 at least. I also can't get my iPhone 7 to play my podcasts over Bluetooth like I could in my P85, tried hardware resetting HUD and Infortainment screen and unpaired and repaired, nothing worked. Any advice?

But they have a very compelling reason to deploy it before the end of the year. They can't recognize the EAP money that they have collected until the delivery the feature. And I'm sure that they want to include that month, $5k/car, in Q4.
They already have had my money for AP for a month, and I have no AP so clearly you are wrong. Tesla will gladly take your money with a vaugue promise of future feature delivery (that they will break....repeatadly)

They already have had my money for AP for a month, and I have no AP so clearly you are wrong. Tesla will gladly take your money with a vaugue promise of future feature delivery (that they will break....repeatadly)

I think you mis-understand. While they have your money that can't recognize it in their accounting because they haven't delivered the functionality. So to make Q4 numbers better they have to deliver the features. (That would mean including any additional ~$100,000,000 in income in their numbers.)

I think you mis-understand. While they have your money that can't recognize it in their accounting because they haven't delivered the functionality. So to make Q4 numbers better they have to deliver the features. (That would mean including any additional ~$100,000,000 in income in their numbers.)
Are you sure Tesla can't recognize the money? Since they plan to incrementally release AP2 functionality over many months, when would they decide to recognize?

Are you sure Tesla can't recognize the money? Since they plan to incrementally release AP2 functionality over many months, when would they decide to recognize?
I have been wondering this also. I have seen many people on multiple sites talking about not being able to recognize the income on features that haven't been enabled, but who would be the person that verifies that they have enabled enough to claim that money?

I assume they can spend the money already so what is the big deal if it isn't seen as income right away? The metric which seems to be important for them and Wall Street now are vehicles delivered.

If it is called "enhanced" autopilot and they release just enough to be on par with AP1 is that good enough?
My car seems to take about four days from when others see the update to where mine says there is an update available. If they send out an update before the end of the year but my car doesn't receive it until the 4th of January do they claim the cash this year?

I am really excited for the updates, but I am not sure how heavily weighted the end of the year is with their deployment strategies and timeline.