Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot is already improving.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is 'controller smoothing' ?

If you have an discrete controller for example setting reference velocity from 45mph to 60mph after a sign, you can have the reference move like a second order system(spring mass dampener) for example so the actual reference at t=0.01s is 45.1mph and at t=0.5s is 50mph etc. This to decrease the absolute value of the jerk(change in acceleration) which humans tend to find uncomfortable.

Or if you use a Model Predictive Controller (MPC) you can set a slightly larger penalty on change in the control signals in your optimization algorithm.

Basically it makes the car less aggressive and more smooth.

All cars get updates based on the learning of every other car in the fleet, i.e. all Tesla cars.
We need more Tesla in Vancouver. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Figured out the problem -

The engineering team was presented with the task of creating a system to do on-ramp to off-ramp freeway driving.

It wasn't specified that it wasn't the FIRST off-ramp it should take.
Why would the car not simply stay on freeway unless initiated by driver to go off ramp, or unless there is a Super Charger nearby?

Why would the car not simply stay on freeway unless initiated by driver to go off ramp, or unless there is a Super Charger nearby?

I'll reiterate my belief that the car should always err towards staying on the highway right now. There are a few situations (highway-highway ramps) where it makes sense, but overall it's intended for non-exiting highway use at this time.

I am willing to bet when "Autopilot 1.01" is released, the model will change the weights towards the left lane markings and trajectory.

I'll reiterate my belief that the car should always err towards staying on the highway right now. There are a few situations (highway-highway ramps) where it makes sense, but overall it's intended for non-exiting highway use at this time.

I am willing to bet when "Autopilot 1.01" is released, the model will change the weights towards the left lane markings and trajectory.

I would be shocked if they have it follow left lane markings due to the risky people using it in 2 lane roads, what if the center lines get faded and the car thinks the lane is splitting so it goes left toward oncoming traffic? This must be why they programmed it to follow thr right side lane marking until they figure out a way to check highway precision maps for exits or wait for it to learn.

I would be shocked if they have it follow left lane markings due to the risky people using it in 2 lane roads, what if the center lines get faded and the car thinks the lane is splitting so it goes left toward oncoming traffic? This must be why they programmed it to follow thr right side lane marking until they figure out a way to check highway precision maps for exits or wait for it to learn.

To be clear, I didn't suggest it would "follow left lane markings". They're already included in the model. I am suggesting the weighting would increase, as would trajectory and other items that keep it on the highway. And I'm not suggesting this is a programmer's tweak, just that the model will have learned to do so.

Agreed. There's a good reason for its natural right-marker preference. The system will learn, though, and I'm sure eventually will link with navigation to help make proper decisions too.

I disagree completely. It makes more sense to keep following a steady left lane it reads perfectly, than it is to actively make a change in direction, and drive off the road to the right because the right lane disappeared. However, if it was even slightly uncertain about the left lane, it would make sense to prioritize going for the right lane. When the options are "Keep going straight" or "Make hard turn" it should never select the last one unless it's very sure that's the best option. If it's really unsure it should rather immediately slow down and require driver to take over.

I disagree completely. It makes more sense to keep following a steady left lane it reads perfectly, than it is to actively make a change in direction, and drive off the road to the right because the right lane disappeared. However, if it was even slightly uncertain about the left lane, it would make sense to prioritize going for the right lane. When the options are "Keep going straight" or "Make hard turn" it should never select the last one unless it's very sure that's the best option. If it's really unsure it should rather immediately slow down and require driver to take over.
In the general case, if the computer is thinking "Diverging lane markings, I'm 40% confident there's a rightward curve", taking the exit is safer than staying on course and ending up in an oncoming lane... The algorithm needs an adjustment for divided highways where maintaining the lane based on left lane marking is generally the preferable course of action. Is that Autopilot 1.01?

If you have an discrete controller for example setting reference velocity from 45mph to 60mph after a sign, you can have the reference move like a second order system(spring mass dampener) for example so the actual reference at t=0.01s is 45.1mph and at t=0.5s is 50mph etc. This to decrease the absolute value of the jerk(change in acceleration) which humans tend to find uncomfortable.

Or if you use a Model Predictive Controller (MPC) you can set a slightly larger penalty on change in the control signals in your optimization algorithm.

Basically it makes the car less aggressive and more smooth.

Actually, after sleeping on it, I think Elon means that turns will be smoother. Right now they're a little jerky.

Thanks for the unrelated physics lesson though I do think that the adjustments will be more discretized.

I disagree because it would not veer off the road if the right lane marker is faded when in the right lane since it does not see more road space to the right; it'd follow the lane marker on the left side.

In contrast, if they make it follow the left side lane marker like you suggest and that fades but it sees more road on the left it would think the lane diverges and treat it like an exit like it does now when taking right side exits until learning not to. This would be EXTREMELY dangerous.

I disagree because it would not veer off the road if the right lane marker is faded when in the right lane since it does not see more road space to the right; it'd follow the lane marker on the left side.
No it does not necessarily follow the lane marker on the left side. I have attached a picture showing the car's driving in both directions in this particular road (both would likely have ended with a crash since it wouldn't be able to correct itself at that speed when it detected the right line).

I did not suggest it to follow the left lane if it started to fade. I only suggested it to follow the left lane if it's 100% about that lane.

Attachments

• tesla.jpg
    tesla.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 146
Yeah following left is safest, for countries that drive on the rightside.

On another note I wonder how many changes they need to make to the algorithms for us leftside drivers for AP in general.

FWIW, here is a situation where I am glad it follows right. I drive this weekdays in the AM, on the top lanes from right to left in the picture, driving in the right-hand lane on the road. I lose the dashed line on my left and track through a single big double-wide lane until the road finally narrows, exiting the left side of the picture. AP has learned to handle this well, tracking along the right side of the road the whole way. If it lurched left to find the left lane marker it would be all over the place and have to swerve right again when the lane narrows. The first time through this section it got flustered and lost lock. AP clearly has a tough job to do to adapt to all situations.
Route 50.jpg

Last edited:
I should add that this is the other trouble point on my drive, going right to left in the picture. Here, following the right line - which because of the left curve is actually straight as it goes into the turn lane - is a disaster. AP is now doing it correctly, at least when the lighting is good. My point is that it needs to adapt to both kinds of situations. Neither a strong bias right or left will work.

Route 50a.jpg