Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@wk507, completely agree. This has gone way beyond the available in a few months (or whatever the exact words were). What are your thoughts of possible actions? I can't help to think that the hardware now has one year less warranty on it and this is just the least of my concerns. Frustrated to say the least.

Again, Tesla NEVER gave a launch date. I still do not understand why anyone could possibly be upset over buying something that didn't exist when they bought it with no set date as to when it will be available. I just don't get it.

Jeff
I haven't searched for it, but I always remember that Elon said that TACC would come early and then AutoPilot by end of summer 2015. Maybe I am wrong about that, but it seems to me that it wont slip by much.

Again, Tesla NEVER gave a launch date. I still do not understand why anyone could possibly be upset over buying something that didn't exist when they bought it with no set date as to when it will be available. I just don't get it.

Jeff

People who don't make software often have no clue how much uncertainty exists when doing something new (even recreating something someone else does on different hardware).

There are a lot of possibilities around pressure or even overstating things, but no reason to believe anything but "there were unanticipated complications."

Software goes over-schedule all the time. All. The. Time.

And in the old triangle of date, scope, and quality (you can have any two), if scope isn't flexible and quality isn't flexible (and I would damn well hope it's not), then time is your only flexible dimension.

They've already played with scope once to give you TACC and Auto-High Beams.

it's possible that the code for auto-steer and self-park is too intertwined to tease out one and deliver it first.

Or not. None of us know anything about the inner workings at Tesla.

But if they are looking for a senior software executive with plenty of entrepreneurial experience shipping code, my profile is right here. :)

That's not a bait-and-switch at all.

It's a missed deadline, plain and simple.

No matter how easy or hard we think it is, it's proving harder for Tesla's team to crack than the CEO thought it would be (no idea what dates the team leaders actually gave him, so it's hard to say if they were ignored or they were all over-optimistic).

"1 year" does not equal "several months"

autopilot.png

lol!

@wk507, completely agree. This has gone way beyond the available in a few months (or whatever the exact words were). What are your thoughts of possible actions? I can't help to think that the hardware now has one year less warranty on it and this is just the least of my concerns. Frustrated to say the least.

Not sure on actions just yet. Still paying mild attention to the live conference call with my investor hat on.