Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this was posted in this thread already, I just now saw it on FB...

autopilot.jpg

It's complicated by the fact that such statements have an impact on stock price, and so are risky to make -- even worse if they could be used by competitors (or blown out of proportion, distorted, or misreported) to harm you (a virtual certainty in this day and age).
You are 101% correct. Especially if the challenge is very significant, such that it opens the discussion in the media that Tesla over-promised. :scared: But if I have anything to say to Tesla, it is - please do whatever is possible to make the version 1 AP live up to its promise on the brochure. We will continue to support you in whatever manner that is mutually beneficial.

Wow, so when you read the Tesla blog on 10-10-2014 that said "Model S will be able to steer to stay within a lane, change lanes with the simple tap of a turn signal, and manage speed by reading road signs and using active, traffic aware cruise control. It will take several months for all Autopilot features to be completed and uploaded to the cars.", you knew it'd be a year? Wow, you should change your name to Nostradamus.

If it comes out in Q4 2015, my "Senior Member" is changing to Nostradamus.

Schedule for Autopilot features

I don't know if this has any bearing on the side mirror hardware discussion or not, but when the P85Ds, (and perhaps some cars before those) first were being delivered, people were talking about the new visible screw on them that apparently had not been there before. There was some conjecture that this could have something to do with a potential future hardware change.

I was thinking the same thing, but if non-P85D models with AutoPilot that were delivered shortly after the AP announcement don't also have the screw in the sideview mirrors, the theory may not hold true.

My S85 that just missed the autopilot hardware did not have the screw. So it definitely wasn't there just before Autopilot rolled out. So now you just need someone who just managed to get Autopilot if they have it.

You were a little optimistic on some of those "December or January" predictions, Nostra. :)

Yeah was a little surprised that 6.2 took till March. But I'm going to claim victory if I hit the auto steering timeline. I suspect parking won't be Q4 2015 at this point though. But who knows maybe Tesla will surprise me and drop a big update on us.

But either way I'm just not worried about it. It'll happen when it happens.

Yeah was a little surprised that 6.2 took till March. But I'm going to claim victory if I hit the auto steering timeline. I suspect parking won't be Q4 2015 at this point though. But who knows maybe Tesla will surprise me and drop a big update on us.

But either way I'm just not worried about it. It'll happen when it happens.

I actually remember reading your predictions last fall and thinking, at the time, that you were being ridiculously pessimistic on the lane keeping stuff. Oh well. :)

I don't think this is it, but just a random question: Do the mirrors without the screw have the ability to pop forward (i.e. towards the front of the car?)

I was at a carwash recently (the horror, a non-brushless carwash), and after I came out I thought they broke both my mirrors... I've never seen them point towards the hood, lol

I haven't read all 198 pages of this thread, but a large reason for the delays (I believe) is that Apple has been poaching a large number of the AutoPilot engineers (including the head of the program) with signing offers of $250,000 and promises to double their Tesla salary so they could work on the Apple car project.

Apple poaches another Tesla Engineer...

This has been happening as early as February - probably earlier.

This question about the screw is pointless. There is 0% possibility that Tesla would retrofit anything at their own cost.

I don't agree. If side camera are necessary to make AP work (not work better, but just plain work) -- Tesla will be retrofitting it at their own cost.

Otherwise I see a class action lawsuit happening (no, not from me, just based on how people reacted to the whole 691hp, lane keeping delays, etc. I think this will be the straw that breaks the camels back).

I don't think this is it, but just a random question: Do the mirrors without the screw have the ability to pop forward (i.e. towards the front of the car?)

I was at a carwash recently (the horror, a non-brushless carwash), and after I came out I thought they broke both my mirrors... I've never seen them point towards the hood, lol
Scary experience indeed. Did the car wash unfolded your mirrors from the folded position and brought it forward?

Scary experience indeed. Did the car wash unfolded your mirrors from the folded position and brought it forward?

The guy drying the car just took his towel as it's nothing and put them back in place (assuming when they're folded closed they go "back", my mirrors went "forward").

I checked the auto-folding functionality, and all was good. I knew my other cars mirrors can do this, just didn't realize Tesla's auto-folding mirrors can too, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Other car makers have lane assist function with the same Mobileye hardware, so I'm sure Tesla can make it work, allthough not necessarily better than others.

Then I don't understand what your comment was in reference to?

Then I don't understand what your comment was in reference to?

I've understood (maybe wrong) that some think that Tesla would do some retrofit if lane keeping assist or self parking is not as good as promised. I'm trying to say, that it will be at least mediocre, and that will be enough to Tesla. They will not retrofit something to make it excellent.

I've understood (maybe wrong) that some think that Tesla would do some retrofit if lane keeping assist or self parking is not as good as promised. I'm trying to say, that it will be at least mediocre, and that will be enough to Tesla. They will not retrofit something to make it excellent.

Ah, yes, then we agree. I've stated it elsewhere, I think many people will be disappointed that some of the AP features are not more autonomous (even though nothing autonomous was promised).