Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot more sensitive after the latest updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed the car beeps alot more if it thinks you don't have hands on steering wheel. It didn't happen before it wouldn't beep just start flashing until it got really upset then it would sound off. But sometimes now if I take my hands off the wheel. It beeps with the pic below. I can have my hands on the wheel and for a split second it beeps. Very irritating is this new feature or bad software or hardware issue?
IMG_20200506_112820.jpg
IMG_20200506_112820.jpg

Here goes a video of my issue with auto pilot. It beeps with no warning and it shows put your hands on steering wheel in red even though I do have them on there. I get this multiple times during my 40 minute trip to work. Did not happen before starting occuring with the last couple of firmware updates. I dont think this is a safety feature.

I picked my Model 3 up yesterday and overall I'm pleased but Autopilot is a big disappointment - at the moment anyway. Obviously, I've watched lots of videos while waiting for delivery and I think I rest my hands on the wheel in a 'normal' and certainly safe way. Not good enough for autopilot though as I keep getting the warning mentioned above requiring me to 'apply slight force turning force to the wheel'. One of three things then happen - my turning force isn't slight enough and AP turns off because the wheel is turned too far, it works but I then am half looking at the screen waiting for the next warning... or I miss it completely and the car cancels AP. I'm aware of all the options on warning chimes etc but on the whole, I find it stressful rather than assisting me. I hope it's just a glitch from the lastest update because otherwise, I'm in acceleration heaven :)

I find it best to just rest one hand on the steering wheel with autopilot on. It provides just enough torque for it to know you're there. I used to keep both hands on and it can't tell if you have any hands on at all.
Maybe for you. My car seems to have no balance between death grip and nothing. If I don’t have a death grip it says I’m not holding the wheel. So I just flick the volume up and down one setting the whole trip.

It took me a few trips to get accustomed to the AP requirements. It seems like the steering wheel turns slightly left/right periodically, and you just need to apply some resistive force without actually moving it.

Tesla seems to want to use the fewest sensors, utilizing existing equipment as much as possible. While design simplicity is great, I don't understand why they would not want to have additional sensors if not just for redundancy. My Mazda uses capacitive-detection (like a touchscreen) for the steering wheel, and other manufacturers have face-detecting cameras on the driver to make sure they are paying attention.

They don't want to have to retrofit hundreds of thousands of cars to add more sensors and cameras

Plus they keep thinking they're just a few months away from L4 self driving where you don't NEED to monitor the driver.

(granted they keep being wrong on the second one- going on 3+ years now...)

I thought I noticed it was warning more often. I haven't been on the highway since the last update but wasn't it closer to 60-90 seconds for the highway before? (60+ mph).

I can’t comment on “back in the day”, lol. It’s been 30 seconds since I got mine in December.

also a quick update on the newest...update:

-the nag on a regular road is now 17 seconds (yes that’s weird and yes I timed it 3 times).

- max speeds are all over the place. On the same road It let me drive 15 mph over the limit one time and only 5 mph over the next. Same day. Idk what that was about.

-the AP would disengage every time I went past two green lights close together, even when I tapped the accelerator OR held my foot down. Car visuals would flash and say take control.

- car still stops WAY to abruptly when approaching already stopped traffic (feels like I’m going to run into the stopped car). They need to smooth that out.

besides the double light thing I did see improvements since the first release though.

I can’t comment on “back in the day”, lol. It’s been 30 seconds since I got mine in December.

also a quick update on the newest...update:

-the nag on a regular road is now 17 seconds (yes that’s weird and yes I timed it 3 times).

- max speeds are all over the place. On the same road It let me drive 15 mph over the limit one time and only 5 mph over the next. Same day. Idk what that was about.

-the AP would disengage every time I went past two green lights close together, even when I tapped the accelerator OR held my foot down. Car visuals would flash and say take control.

- car still stops WAY to abruptly when approaching already stopped traffic (feels like I’m going to run into the stopped car). They need to smooth that out.

besides the double light thing I did see improvements since the first release though.
Interesting ... did some testing today and it's definitely 30 seconds on the highway. Also tried just resting my hand on the bottom of the wheel. Didn't get a single nag in the 20 minutes on the highway. I don't remember if that was that way before.

My biggest complaint on braking is it's WAY too "safe" on turning cars. It slams on the breaks anytime someone turns in front of you even if they are several hundred feet away it seems. It's far enough away I wouldn't even think to slow down, let alone slow down rapidly. Same with cars that get into the next lane slowly. I say it's the "safe" way only because i'm much more likely to get rear ended than to hit the car it's braking for.

Interesting ... did some testing today and it's definitely 30 seconds on the highway. Also tried just resting my hand on the bottom of the wheel. Didn't get a single nag in the 20 minutes on the highway. I don't remember if that was that way before.

My biggest complaint on braking is it's WAY too "safe" on turning cars. It slams on the breaks anytime someone turns in front of you even if they are several hundred feet away it seems. It's far enough away I wouldn't even think to slow down, let alone slow down rapidly. Same with cars that get into the next lane slowly. I say it's the "safe" way only because i'm much more likely to get rear ended than to hit the car it's braking for.

Agree. Technically it’s safe because YOU won’t hit someone...but being rear ended is a very real concern.

Hopefully they smooth it out to brake more naturally.

When I use autopilot my hands rest on my thighs. I have adjusted the steering wheel so that I can rest my index finger on the steering wheel. I find it quite easy to apply enough pressure, left or right, to prevent the warnings without causing autopilot to disengage. It is a very relaxing way to drive on the highway.