Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot on HW1 now better than New Autopilot on HW2+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
With the recent changes to Autopilot options on HW2+, we can now definitively say that Autopilot on HW1 is better than the New Autopilot on HW2+. Traffic aware cruise control and autosteer are standard, but Autopilot on HW1 also has automatic parallel and perpendicular parking, and summon. Interestingly, one touch automatic lane change isn’t mentioned on the website so I wonder if the New Autopilot will not be able to change lanes without cancelling autosteer. That would really suck.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and Kant.Ing
In terms of quantity of features, yes, maybe AP1 edges out the new AP. But you have to also look at the future. AP1 is the end of the line. It won't be receiving any new autopilot features. Whereas, AP2 and AP3 will be receiving "FSD" features that will be far greater than what AP1 does.

I think the moral of the story is if AP1 does what you want/need it to do (it certainly does for me) then it's great. it's been around for some time, it's not going through growing pains and is mostly pretty well debugged. I think a lot of people are putting too much value on the newer hardware personally. Sure if you're betting your bottom dollar (literally) on FSD then go for it, but if not you're really not losing out of much of anything if you buy a used AP1 vehicle. That might change in a couple/few/who-knows-how-many years once FSD is a reality and it's debugged and working well, but until then I'm pretty happy with my AP1 vehicle. By the time FSD is a thing and working well I'll probably be ready for a newer Tesla at that point anyway ...

Just my $0.02. I spent a lot of time wondering whether I would regret buying an AP1 vehicle and I do not, and I do not see anything in the foreseeable future that will make me change my mind on that.

Yeah, agree that HW2+ is capable of more, but I find it ironic and amusing that Tesla decided to decontent the New Autopilot option to a level below classic Autopilot. Also I don’t think Tesla will be giving away FSD features for free so for Tesla owners that only buy the New Autopilot option, they’ll never experience the full benefits of the newer hardware.

Reactions: P85_DA
I do not think the opening statement is correct - this is enhanced autopilot vs new autopilot. Elon tweeted all EAP owners (HW1 or HW2) keep the original navigate on autopilot, summon and parking - without needing to upgrade to FSD. So a more accurate statement is that new autopilot has fewer features than enhanced autopilot, and if you must have those you now need to purchase FSD.

tweet about enhance autopilot March 2 2019.JPG

HW1 or AP1 has been designated as "Autopilot".

When HW2 or AP2 came out, it is designated as "Enhanced Autopilot" due to more powerful computer and robust numbers of cameras as well as more capable radar and sonars.

That is inaccurate. AP1 has line change and summon which are part of EAP - and not included in current autopilot package. Not sure on NOA, as I have not driven an old S recently.

That is inaccurate. AP1 has line change and summon which are part of EAP - and not included in current autopilot package. Not sure on NOA, as I have not driven an old S recently.

There's no question that AP1 or Gen1 Autopilot has more features than Gen2 Autopilot (as of 2/28/2019).

Gen2 Autopilot (as of 2/28/2019) has only 2 features:
1) TACC
2) AutoSteer

Gen1 Autopilot (AP1 without the word "Enhanced") has more features:
1) TACC
2) AutoSteer

plus
3) Auto Lane Change with manual signaling.
4) AutoPark
5) Summon
6) Speed sign recognition

Note that Gen1 Autopilot (AP1 without the word "Enhanced") does not have Navigation on Autopilot which requires more computing power.

So when talking about EAP, that is NOT Gen1 AP1.

In terms of quantity of features, yes, maybe AP1 edges out the new AP. But you have to also look at the future. AP1 is the end of the line. It won't be receiving any new autopilot features. Whereas, AP2 and AP3 will be receiving "FSD" features that will be far greater than what AP1 does.

Yup, and these features will roll out in summer 2018.

There's no question that AP1 or Gen1 Autopilot has more features than Gen2 Autopilot (as of 2/28/2019).

Gen2 Autopilot (as of 2/28/2019) has only 2 features:
1) TACC
2) AutoSteer

Gen1 Autopilot (AP1 without the word "Enhanced"), and AP2/2.5 before 2/28/19, has more features:
1) TACC
2) AutoSteer

plus
3) Auto Lane Change with manual signaling.
4) AutoPark
5) Summon
6) Speed sign recognition

Note that Gen1 Autopilot (AP1 without the word "Enhanced") does not have Navigation on Autopilot which requires more computing power.

So when talking about EAP, that is NOT Gen1 AP1.

Fixed. You forget that all AP2/2.5 cars before 2/28/19 also have all those features too.

• Love
Reactions: brkaus
With this change, Tesla has essentially lowered the price for TACC and lane keeping, the features being provided by other manufacturers, and bundled all of the enhanced autopilot/future self driving features into one package.

Before this, customers who didn't care about NOAP/FSD were forced to spend more $ just to have TACC. Now TACC is less expensive.

And, it's likely that at some point (in the next year or two?) we'll see Tesla bundle TACC/AutoSteer into all vehicles as a standard feature, just like they've bundled all of the other options that were previously offered as configuration options and are now standard today.

Reactions: kavyboy and drklain
Such as when the sign says 35 MPH, the instrument white speed detector icon says 45 MPH on the instrument clusters?

JvR1XTq.jpg

Numerous of stretches the automation does not recognize speed signs. EAP relies on its database for speed limit on the road.

Exactly. When I pass by the real signs the new white speed sign changes. Maybe it knows the location off the map I'm not sure but I can attest to the dynamic speed sign change.