Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot saves the day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good save. This sort of thing is why I'm always extremely wary when going through an intersection when there's a gap in another lane like that. People love to forget that there's more than one lane, and that just because one person is letting them through doesn't mean the cars in the other lane even have any idea of what's going on.

The speed limit is 45 mph. I was going just under that because of the rain. So between 40 and 45. I never set the speed over the limit with Autopilot.

- - - Updated - - -

Good save. This sort of thing is why I'm always extremely wary when going through an intersection when there's a gap in another lane like that. People love to forget that there's more than one lane, and that just because one person is letting them through doesn't mean the cars in the other lane even have any idea of what's going on.

Absolutely! The reason I didn't catch this, was because I was looking at the stopped traffic to my right. Usually that's where this sort of thing happens from. This idiot had no excuse for not waiting for me to pass. I guess they just misjudged my speed?

The reason I didn't catch this, was because I was looking at the stopped traffic to my right. Usually that's where this sort of thing happens from. This idiot had no excuse for not waiting for me to pass. I guess they just misjudged my speed?

That's where I was looking while watching the video...was quite surprised when it came from the left. It also didn't seem like the driver ever hesitated...

Looks like Tesla's AP is great while braking, however it needs a speed module.

I don't think any human would drive this fast in this conditions. And btw, what happened to "you are supposed to be in control at all times".

Last edited:
So, you're saying that AP did all of the braking here? Or it started it and then you took over and stepped on the brake? Hard to tell from the video.

So did AEB do all the braking? It looks like it did, but would be great if you could verify. So cool that the accident was avoided! 100% crash energy mitigated above 40MPH

So did AEB do all the braking? It looks like it did, but would be great if you could verify. So cool that the accident was avoided! 100% crash energy mitigated above 40MPH

The only thing I did was scream and honk my horn! I did mash on the break after I was already stopped, but I totally missed this guy pulling out.

I would not try to test this though. In my experience the car tends not to see turning traffic in the little heads up thing. I wish I would have been recording audio, but whatever.