Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot steering wheel hack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I see it’s my car, it’s a free country, I should be able to shut that down and take responsibility for it as I am regardless if I crash.
So you`re also taking responsibility for those you crash INTO then? I´m sure they will be really happy to hear that.....

Rules are rules, and the awareness alert isn`t just for fun but because a LOT of people simply trust this very limited unreliable system way too much. I already had 2 occasions where the model S I was driving back then would have crashed if I hadn`t taken over quickly.

Is it too much to ask to simply wait for the systems to actually reach lvl 4-5 before treating them as such? Have people reached a level of laziness where just touching the steering wheel every few minutes in the name of security is already considered a hassle?

Last edited:
Good Morning everyone,

we use an exercise wrist weight:
1.5lbs,
Velcro straps allow a tight fit,
Soft on the steering wheel and you.
If you need to take over, it stay attached while turning.

have a great day
So, do you strap it to the right side so that if AP cuts off it drives into a ditch or a truck that you are passing, or do you strap it to the left so that it veers into oncoming traffic? Just curious about which poison you picked...:confused:

So, do you strap it to the right side so that if AP cuts off it drives into a ditch or a truck that you are passing, or do you strap it to the left so that it veers into oncoming traffic? Just curious about which poison you picked...:confused:
hahaha. funny stuff, actually it doesnt affect the steering enough to change lanes swiftly. it is just enough to signal to the AP. but to answer you question on the left.

good times

So you`re also taking responsibility for those you crash INTO then? I´m sure they will be really happy to hear that.....

Aren't we all? If you drive a car at all, you are necessarily taking responsibility for those you could, potentially, crash into.

You correctly point out that the nags are there for those who trust the system too much, but without noticing that OP clearly is aware of the limitations. They said they would use weights to not have to deal with nags, not so they could take a nap while driving.

Aren't we all? If you drive a car at all, you are necessarily taking responsibility for those you could, potentially, crash into.

You correctly point out that the nags are there for those who trust the system too much, but without noticing that OP clearly is aware of the limitations. They said they would use weights to not have to deal with nags, not so they could take a nap while driving.

It is refreshing to see people with common sense instead of illogical extrapolation

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Wow does your bloody Car totally drives straight when disengage when you sleep? Why do u ever need autopilot? Duh
The reason there ARE nags is because of someone boasting on the Internet about driving with no hands and using the system in ways it was not designed. So the nags got put in place for everyone, and Tesla and the regulators were appeased. Bypassing this system will possibly result in further, more strict measures or the banning of AP completely until the bureaucrats come up with a solution.

I don't care if you do it. I care if you talk about it on the Internet.

The reason there ARE nags is because of someone boasting on the Internet about driving with no hands and using the system in ways it was not designed. So the nags got put in place for everyone, and Tesla and the regulators were appeased. Bypassing this system will possibly result in further, more strict measures or the banning of AP completely until the bureaucrats come up with a solution.

I don't care if you do it. I care if you talk about it on the Internet.

11.5oz was the magic number on my tests with steering on comfort mode. Any less than that it fails from time to time.

Now all of internet knows the magic number.

Hear anything? No? Exactly: No one cares. By the time regulators wrap their head on anything and act we are already at level 5 and this is all useless.

Chill.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: NerdUno and cwerdna
By the time regulators wrap their head on anything and act we are already at level 5 and this is all useless.

With respect, I beg to differ. You could be right about the speed of regulation. But I'm not convinced. You can do whatever you like with your vehicle. But I'd thank you to be circumspect about it, so that we don't all lose the features we have today.

L5 is still a long way away: we haven't even seen a C2C drive yet. It'll take even longer for regulators to approve the technology. NHTSA is already on Tesla due to previous accidents. True, anyone savvy enough to pour sand out of a boot with instructions printed on the heel can figure out how to defeat the existing nag. But talking about it online? My friends, this is why we can't have nice things.

Here's how I fear this might play out:
  1. Consumers post online about defeating AP safety measures, aka hacking the nag
  2. Accidents make the news, forcing NHTSA to do something
  3. NHTSA requires new safety hardware: for example an interior camera monitored by software
  4. Overnight mandatory software update disables AutoSteer permanently on vehicles that can't be brought up to NHTSA requirements. Say this covers any vehicle without an interior camera: HW1 and HW2. Sorry, there is no upgrade path
  5. Overnight mandatory software update disables AutoSteer temporarily on newest vehicles, which have an interior camera. Tesla announces AutoSteer will be re-enabled pending software updates

We've had a semi and some crazy person try to lane change into us while on long trips. I'm happy to leave two hands on the wheel. Quick jog to the left and hit the go pedal or brakes and I know where the wheels are pointing because my hands are in a normal position. Those quick freeway jogs in construction zones might also be fun if you're not holding the wheel and can't see them coming in traffic.

And you actually believe that a human will not divert his attention from the street over several hours when he`s not forced to focus from time to time by the system?......yeah that`s exactly how humans work. We never get bored or tired or want distraction.....
There`s a very good reason why tesla or the officials don`t offer or even allow autopilot-nag-stop-weights!

Imho this thread belongs in some "welcome to jackass" category and should be deleted.

Last edited:
And you actually believe that a human will not divert his attention from the street over several hours when he`s not forced to focus from time to time by the system?......yeah that`s exactly how humans work. We never get bored or tired or want distraction.....
There`s a very good reason why tesla or the officials don`t offer or even allow autopilot-nag-stop-weights!

Imho this thread belongs in some "welcome to jackass" category and should be deleted.

If necessary, Tesla can probably freeze out the fixed weight people, too.

I'm sure the car can be programmed to notice when the pressure on the steering wheel is one constant torque level for minutes on end - at which point Tesla can either Red Hand them and disable for the trip, or just ask for hands on wheel as normal, ignoring the weight.

Personally, I'd hand them the Red Hands of Shame - Tesla certainly doesn't want to be encouraging such bypasses of simple safety measures.

I would say it's no more likely than someone who just rests their hands holding the wheel with autosteering on. There's nothing at all that forces you to focus in that condition. In general, both are going to be pretty safe as long as you don't take out your phone to watch a movie or decide to take a nap. We tend to pay attention to things that capture our attention and there's nothing that can really grab human attention inside the cabin over the quickly moving external environment.