Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot steering wheel hack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
baxter-fruit.jpg

Glen Baxter born 1944 | Tate

No, I understood correctly, you don't understand to consequences of what you've proposed. You would have to keep looking at the dash to see when you need to jiggle the wheel, because now even constant pressure is not enough. Don't look at the dash enough? interrupts your music and beeps loudly. Do it a couple more times, autopilot jail for you!

None of this actually forced you to pay attention to the road. You can jiggle the wheel and never take your eyes off YOUR PHONE.
Err.. I believe Tesla’s intentions are that you keep your hands on the wheel (and presumably, eyes on the road)... not that you stare at your dashboard waiting for the next nag.

I’m sorry the Tesla software doesn’t always detect your hand on the wheel. Sloppy software. They probably set the minimum torque high enough so that phantom torque (mass of the steering wheel when the AP is applying torque) doesn’t incorrectly detect hands on wheel.

Perhaps they should write better software to actually detect when the drivers hands are on the wheel.. and while they’re at it.. add a check for constant moderate torque so threads like this would never exist in the first place.

I wonder if Nissan’s ProPilot can be tricked with a weight..?

Err.. I believe Tesla’s intentions are that you keep your hands on the wheel (and presumably, eyes on the road)... not that you stare at your dashboard waiting for the next nag.
Whether or not your hands are on the wheel doesn't matter. If you don't pay attention to the road, you will crash. There are no presumptions, well except on Tesla's blog.

I’m sorry the Tesla software doesn’t always detect your hand on the wheel. Sloppy software. They probably set the minimum torque high enough so that phantom torque (mass of the steering wheel when the AP is applying torque) doesn’t incorrectly detect hands on wheel.
Can't be done. The proper way to drive is to have minimum steering inputs at all times. Which means detecting any amount of torque fails. Autopilot is effectively teaching people to drive poorly.

Perhaps they should write better software to actually detect when the drivers hands are on the wheel.. and while they’re at it.. add a check for constant moderate torque so threads like this would never exist in the first place.
It's not even constant torque. There is both a circular moment AND a change in gravitational mass in relation to the axis of spin with a "fixed" weight.

Hopefully I burst your bubble properly this time.

BS, my solution still works.

Nailed it.

Yeah yeah I know, it's your car you stay awake, you're paying attention, yada yada yada.

But what you may not realize is the system is already further limited because other owners boasted online as to how they were defeating nags. If you think NHTSA and others don't pay attention, then (no offense, but) you're not paying attention. If you think you're going to win this game of 'how to defeat nags', your victory is only temporary. And we will all have to live with additional controls as a result.

I don't really care what you do unless it impacts me. And owners posting stuff like this will impact me and force regulators to put more controls in place. So I am not appreciating your *creativity*.

File under 'This is why we cannot have nice things'.
Bs

I am so sick of the nags since the last two firmware updates I do not use it anymore. I can't see my self paying for the commercial "tesla phone holder" either so I went out and got the ingreadients to mould my own Autopilot buddy. A 12oz pack of FIMO and some button neodymium magnets.
For those unfamiliar with FIMO it's a German product found in arts and crafts stores. Is pliable like playdough but hardens permanently when heated in the oven at 230F.

It should not stain but I will wrap the wheel spoke in plastic wrap before I take press it on.
20180716_125602.jpg

When AutoPIlot was first released with firmware 7.0 there were NO NAGS. The system was quiet until it needed driver intervention. FW 7.1 introduced the first "nag" after approximately 15 minutes of not sensing torque on the wheel. My opinion(s) is/are based on the almost 80k miles on enjoyed on my previous Teslas which were both on FW 7.1 while I owned them.

Reactions: sorka
It's not even constant torque. There is both a circular moment AND a change in gravitational mass in relation to the axis of spin with a "fixed" weight.

Hopefully I burst your bubble properly this time.
Well, speaking of burst bubbles...

"circular moment" doesn't mean anything. Moment is force times distance

"change in gravitational mass" doesn't mean anything. Unless you are considering relativistic effects, mass is explicitly not a function of gravity or any other acceleration and it certainly doesn't change "in relation to the axis of spin".

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18