Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot steering wheel hack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow
Getting maybe one or two nags a day, usually because I’m holding the wheel by a finger.
I’ve got knee pressure just right now as well.
It still seems so easy to feel AP steering and resisting it just a bit.
Been trying sport mode steering to see if it made a difference to AP sensitivity. Not really but does feel better driving.

Or Tesla should reduce the amount of torque required to LESS THAN THAT TAKEN TO CHANGE LANES. As is the case now.
I think @banned-66611 was suggesting that the for the vast majority of users, the amount of torque required to suppress the nag is minimal; if you have to add a significant amount of torque, you likely have some miscalibration of your power steering unit.

Of course it seems that if the amount of torque needed is excessive (as you claim) that AP would disconnect first. So I am a bit skeptical of your claims.

Reactions: 1 person
Try
I think @banned-66611 was suggesting that the for the vast majority of users, the amount of torque required to suppress the nag is minimal; if you have to add a significant amount of torque, you likely have some miscalibration of your power steering unit.

Of course it seems that if the amount of torque needed is excessive (as you claim) that AP would disconnect first. So I am a bit skeptical of your claims.

Most of my commute is very long straight / very slight turns - miles of driving. Keeping the car in it's lane requires less "torque" than AutoPilot requires to satisfy the NAG. You can disbelieve all you want but after 10 years of the same 100 mile a day commute between my BMW 7's and two Model S' and probably more than 600k miles it is my reality. You can choose to unknowingly declare otherwise.

Try

Most of my commute is very long straight / very slight turns - miles of driving. Keeping the car in it's lane requires less "torque" than AutoPilot requires to satisfy the NAG. You can disbelieve all you want but after 10 years of the same 100 mile a day commute between my BMW 7's and two Model S' and probably more than 600k miles it is my reality. You can choose to unknowingly declare otherwise.
On a straight road, you should require zero torque.

Perhaps I misinterpreted your original post. But that being said, the amount of torque needed seems to be a non-issue for most people here. But it's a problem for you. So let's have Tesla modify their software to fit your needs; screw the rest of us.

Perhaps I misinterpreted your original post. But that being said, the amount of torque needed seems to be a non-issue for most people here. But it's a problem for you. So let's have Tesla modify their software to fit your needs; screw the rest of us.
I would be okay with that!!

If it benefits us that want less torque inputs it wouldn’t be screwing you.

The truth is that Tesla needed something to try to reassure the public, regulators, whoever, that drivers were paying attention when autopilot was engaged. The autopilot system was never designed to have this type of feedback, so the "safety system" is just a hack. It's a fallacy to believe that this registered torque on the wheel is keeping you any safer. Look at every accident that makes news involving Teslas on autopilot that are running into concrete barriers, firetrucks, or whatever. All those drivers were satisfying autopilot to at least the extent that it was still engaged upon impact. Tesla will publish some "facts" about how the autopilot system did not detect input from the driver for 12 seconds prior to impact, or that multiple warnings were flashed to the driver during the previous 10 minutes prior to the crash. All of us who drive on autopilot know that is just a bunch of BS. When I am most attentive to a situation with autopilot engaged, I hold the wheel with two hands, balanced at 10 and 2. This is guaranteed to generate all sorts of warnings.

On the other hand, when I am traveling on wide open country highway driving, with just the occasional car or semi to pass, I put a weight on the wheel. It is just so much less fatiguing for long distance travel. I still monitor what the car is doing and situations that are approaching. When I see a potential autopilot difficulty approach, I put both hands back on the wheel... and inevitably get a flashing IC.

A weight on the wheel is no more a hack than the "safety system" it is trying to appease. Just be safe and drive the car, regardless of how you choose to do it.

The truth is that Tesla needed something to try to reassure the public, regulators, whoever, that drivers were paying attention when autopilot was engaged. The autopilot system was never designed to have this type of feedback, so the "safety system" is just a hack. It's a fallacy to believe that this registered torque on the wheel is keeping you any safer. Look at every accident that makes news involving Teslas on autopilot that are running into concrete barriers, firetrucks, or whatever. All those drivers were satisfying autopilot to at least the extent that it was still engaged upon impact. Tesla will publish some "facts" about how the autopilot system did not detect input from the driver for 12 seconds prior to impact, or that multiple warnings were flashed to the driver during the previous 10 minutes prior to the crash. All of us who drive on autopilot know that is just a bunch of BS. When I am most attentive to a situation with autopilot engaged, I hold the wheel with two hands, balanced at 10 and 2. This is guaranteed to generate all sorts of warnings.

On the other hand, when I am traveling on wide open country highway driving, with just the occasional car or semi to pass, I put a weight on the wheel. It is just so much less fatiguing for long distance travel. I still monitor what the car is doing and situations that are approaching. When I see a potential autopilot difficulty approach, I put both hands back on the wheel... and inevitably get a flashing IC.

A weight on the wheel is no more a hack than the "safety system" it is trying to appease. Just be safe and drive the car, regardless of how you choose to do it.

I was able to bypass the applied lightforce the steering wheel. I don't get any warnings anymore. I do get confirmation for the lane change. I can bypass that to but I rather bypass it through software. I can drive from Chicago to New Orleans without having to intervene. I'm not using any sort of weights. I did it with a $10 off the shelf part

I post a YouTube link.

Attachments

• 20181209_184526.jpg
    20181209_184526.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 722
I did this through a hardware hack using the radio :

Let me see if I understand what you are saying.

You did not put any weights on the stewing wheel, but instead you are mimicking the mechanism of a mild torque to the wheel by sending the appropriate signal to the downstream system, so that they computer is fooled thinking the wheel was torqued.

?

Let me see if I understand what you are saying.

You did not put any weights on the stewing wheel, but instead you are mimicking the mechanism of a mild torque to the wheel by sending the appropriate signal to the downstream system, so that they computer is fooled thinking the wheel was torqued.

?

It's actually so simple it's dumb. But it works. You know the volume scroll knob wheel on the steering wheel? I connected a pulse timer to the - + on the scroll wheel. Next time you are on Autopilot scroll the volume up or down and it will cancel out the apply lightforce the steering wheel pop up. I bought the 12v Accessory Pulse Timer on Amazon. I used 2 and hided them behind the dash.

Don't know how long it will last. I told Tesla how I did it. They will probably push out a software update to fix my work around.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
It's actually so simple it's dumb. But it works. You know the volume scroll knob wheel on the steering wheel? I connected a pulse timer to the - + on the scroll wheel. Next time you are on Autopilot scroll the volume up or down and it will cancel out the apply lightforce the steering wheel pop up. I bought the 12v Accessory Pulse Timer on Amazon. I used 2 and hided them behind the dash.

Don't know how long it will last. I told Tesla how I did it. They will probably push out a software update to fix my work around.

Attachments

• pulse.jpg
    pulse.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 620