Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot steering wheel hack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I see it’s my car, it’s a free country, I should be able to shut that down and take responsibility for it as I am regardless if I crash.

Yea, until you kill someone, or yourself and Tesla is forced to update the software to require variable resistance on the wheel due to the overblown press reaction.

Sorry, but these safety bypasses are moronic. Just REST YOUR HAND ON THE WHEEL like a normal person. It's not that hard.

We are all ambassadors people. And there is a major push to Kill Tesla. Stop giving them a reason. Honestly, I think the mods should delete threads designed to bypass Teslas safety features given the environment.

Yea, until you kill someone, or yourself and Tesla is forced to update the software to require variable resistance on the wheel due to the overblown press reaction.

Sorry, but these safety bypasses are moronic. Just REST YOUR HAND ON THE WHEEL like a normal person. It's not that hard.

We are all ambassadors people. And there is a major push to Kill Tesla. Stop giving them a reason. Honestly, I think the mods should delete threads designed to bypass Teslas safety features given the environment.
Except we're not ambassadors, we're consumers.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Yes, ignoring the people you crash INTO and possibly severely hurt or kill.
I drove autopilot (with hands off device) NYC TO vancouver canada round trip 9,456 miles total mostly autopilot, no accidents, no hassle, ....it is actually more dangerous to "Summon" the car in the parking lot than driving hands OFF in autopilot.
Ive seen lots of "summon" accidents and it is actually a feature designed to be used this way.
autopilot hands off doesnt mean you sleep in the car, you are actively surveilling the vehicle like an airline pilot.
you pay attention to everything, don't do stupid things, be mature and responsible and you r actually ok in hands off.

I drove autopilot (with hands off device) NYC TO vancouver canada round trip 9,456 miles total mostly autopilot, no accidents, no hassle, ....it is actually more dangerous to "Summon" the car in the parking lot than driving hands OFF in autopilot.
Ive seen lots of "summon" accidents and it is actually a feature designed to be used this way.
autopilot hands off doesn't mean you sleep in the car, you are actively surveilling the vehicle like an airline pilot.
you pay attention to everything, don't do stupid things, be mature and responsible and you r actually ok in hands off.
Agree 100%. With AP you still need to watch the road, so nothing wrong with hanging an apple there. People tend to forget that the safety of your drive is a combination of AP driving and the driver watching the road, and not by constantly clutching the twisting the steering.

All this 12 oz talk is ridiculous. It defeats an important safety, it's unnecessary, it pulls the car terribly when in manual. A small 3.5 Oz (100g) weight is perfect. Keep a hand on the wheel. With a small counterweight the natural rocking of the wheel/hand makes nags infrequent. When they happen, as they should, a slight motion of the hand satisfies the nag without jerking out of AP.

• Funny
All this 12 oz talk is ridiculous. It defeats an important safety, it's unnecessary, it pulls the car terribly when in manual. A small 3.5 Oz (100g) weight is perfect. Keep a hand on the wheel. With a small counterweight the natural rocking of the wheel/hand makes nags infrequent. When they happen, as they should, a slight motion of the hand satisfies the nag without jerking out of AP.
I still like the water bottle inside a Starbucks cup trick I saw on YouTube best. :p

For the record to this day the nag is inoperative in my P3D. Not complaining.

Yeah, but what's the point of totally defeating a safety? A small counterweight can stay on all the time. The car has been driven by Tesla techs, they don't touch it. It tunes the nag to a lighter touch, but if you e.g. lose your ability to steer, it will still save your butt. You must be a young optimist to not consider that possibility. It's like they say, there are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

Yeah, but what's the point of totally defeating a safety? You must be a young optimist. A 100g counterweight can stay on all the time. The car has been driven by Tesla techs, they don't touch it. It tunes the nag to a lighter touch, but if you e.g. lose your ability to steer, it will still save your butt.
Didn’t say I would use it. Just said I liked it!

For the record I’ve done nothing to defeat the nag myself, but I’m not going to complain about it being inoperative either. :)

The nag in Europe is worse than the US. Every 15 seconds. For long straight line roadtrips on the highway it's a nice to have while maintaining awareness of the car.
I think the best for a guy using this hack is the police to cancel immediatly is driver licence for x months !
And sorry but TMC need better moderator if I have a blog /forum like this one I close immediatly this discussion.

The virtue signaling in this thread is overpowering. We get it, you're all perfect and follow every rule imposed on you w/o fail.

For those so comfortable with passing judgement on others, allow me to remind you that this is how these cars were when this feature came out. The sky didn't fall and everyone was fine. Then, due to someone deciding they wanted to take a nap in the back seat while on the Autobahn at speed and dying as a result, we are all left with this nanny.

It would then seem entirely logical that as long as you still use this system the way it was intended (read: a driver's aid that still requires your attention and supervision) it doesn't matter if you use one of these to defeat the steering wheel nanny. As long as you're not using it to do something extreme outside of it's intended purpose it's just as safe as it would be w/o the nanny. Why everyone feels so comfortable savagely attacking those who would dare return their functionality to the way it was is beyond me.

Get over yourselves. The sky is not falling and, like much of our big brother oversight, the world will not end if many of the rules/laws were rolled back. Be an adult. Think for yourself and apply common sense and we won't need drastic rules to lower us all to the lowest common denominator among us.

The nag in Europe is worse than the US. Every 15 seconds. For long straight line roadtrips on the highway it's a nice to have while maintaining awareness of the car.

Last I checked, my S nag shows up every 11 seconds if I don't keep torque on the wheel. It's annoying as I can't simply relax my hand on the wheel like normal people do when driving.

I'm going to look into a weight just so that I can drive normally again. It's actually less fatiguing to drive with AP off.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Last I checked, my S nag shows up every 11 seconds if I don't keep torque on the wheel. It's annoying as I can't simply relax my hand on the wheel like normal people do when driving.

I'm going to look into a weight just so that I can drive normally again. It's actually less fatiguing to drive with AP off.

Agree. On short trips its fine, on long ones it's simply annoying and having to constantly look at my IC for the nag warning is distracting.

This one is really good, it's what I have: Tesla Autopilot Balancer Accessory | eBay