Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer on local Roads Videos (17.7.2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. The local road Autoseer is not ready. Be very careful while using it. I tried it multiple times today and on 3 lanes road, the autosteer tends to take the car to the rightmost lane if you are in the middle lane. Luckily there was no one coming from behind. little scary

2. This a little longer video on a curvy two lane internal road. Autosteer works well although the blue lines dance a lot.

I've had the same experience proceeding through an intersection and having to grab the steering wheel because the car pulls toward the right lane. It seems not to know what to do because there are no lines painted in the intersection to guide it. Very concerning to say that least. And I discovered what 'truck lust' is as well. I'll be glad when all these wrinkles are ironed out.

Had the same intersection issues that you did. It doesn't seem to be able to see lane markings a few car lengths in front of it and instead of continuing in a straight line it likes to go right. It seems to drive like an intoxicated driver for now. Hopefully this gets improved soon.

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno
Ok so my 3500 miles on my first Tesla AP 2, 90D, and autopilot is all pretty new to me.... downloaded last night and went down and auto parked for first time which was super slick and precise, however I have a hard time getting it to find and open spot... also realized that autosteer for local roads was working, and I haven't really ever been able to use the tech thus far, but it it definitely an early iteration... I have been learning the tacc lately and have noticed it to improve somewhat despite no official updates... my wife and I got a sitter tonight and took it on a rally around town testing the local autosteer, we threw it all at the system, roundabouts, snow banks, parked cars, pedestrians(very "on point driving required"). It had a hard time with hard bends in road and the roundabout, it had no clue. I will continue to gather data.... my wife joked I we were going to get pulled over for dui...

What happens if autosteer really does not work in a long run.
I just got auto steer working in my car today and these are my observations:
1) My TMS was steering into the opposite lane within seconds of starting from light. It happened multiple times. I had to takeover.
2) It looks like it still does not follow the destination directions set, I set my directions to a nearby pizza place and auto steer did not follow it. May be too early.
3) IT did not detect a vehicle near a stop light, I had to take over.

What happens if autosteer really does not work in a long run.
I just got auto steer working in my car today and these are my observations:
1) My TMS was steering into the opposite lane within seconds of starting from light. It happened multiple times. I had to takeover.
2) It looks like it still does not follow the destination directions set, I set my directions to a nearby pizza place and auto steer did not follow it. May be too early.
3) IT did not detect a vehicle near a stop light, I had to take over.
Autosteer isn't meant to follow navigation directions. It works just like it does on freeways: it tries to keep you in your current lane.

Got 17.7.2 yesterday and appreciate it. We have put a lot of miles on it using Autostee in just two days. It seems to be learning and getting more stable after many miles. I believe the improvements will come incrementally as we get firmware releases.

Yes, gotta keep hands on steering wheel. Yes, it has problems with some curves. As others note it can move into the left lane at times (VERY good idea to keep hands on wheel !) However, the majority of the miles on back roads in and out of traffic went well. For us, the TACC has worked flawlessly.. Keeping the faith that the stability will come, the speed limiting will go up, stop signs and stop lights will be recognized AND maybe we will get the rain sensor and auto high beam sensor back soon!

For the time being my very timid and conservative wife (won't even get on a big Ferris Wheel!) .....um ... is somewhat addicted to pulling off "launch mode" at least once or twice each time she has driven my car. We will adjust and not abuse the privilege!

Optimistically looking forward to "Autosteer" incremental improvements.Meanwhile, keeping hands ON the steering wheel!

I have to say I am a bit disappointed with how poorly autosteer works on local roads. I'd rather just drive myself. TACC however does work incredibly well. I expected the same level of precision for autosteer.

What part of the Tesla manual did you not understand?

Quote:
Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding tra c. Do not use Autosteer on city streets or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause serious property damage, injury or death.

It's like reading people complain that they can't use their toaster while taking bath... except the toaster only kills the idiot who fails to understand that electricity and water doesn't mix.

What part of the Tesla manual did you not understand?

Quote:
Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding tra c. Do not use Autosteer on city streets or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause serious property damage, injury or death.

It's like reading people complain that they can't use their toaster while taking bath... except the toaster only kills the idiot who fails to understand that electricity and water doesn't mix.

I agree.

I think the slow roll out isn't so much to give them time to correct it, but to give us time to learn how to use it. I'm finding the skill of knowing when I'm going to have to take control becoming almost second nature.

I think a system that works during long, straight, boring drives or in stop and go traffic is very useful as it is, the only thing I want right now is speed increases. All the hyperbole in the various AP2 threads is getting ridiculous.

I agree.

I think the slow roll out isn't so much to give them time to correct it, but to give us time to learn how to use it. .

Interesting. I had not thought of that. Could be a test of whether we can read and follow the release notes. Or read at at all. As we continue on our quest for the BEST "self driving" "Autonomous" "Autosteer" "Enhanced Autosteer" .....um...as drivers (?) it is more likely than not we will have to follow some simple to understand directions which IMHO we should read, understand and follow to stay safe (time wise - this will be the case probably for future months or years no matter how smart and fast handed we think we are.)

Yeah, they could be pacing our learning. At any rate, it tells me to keep my hands on the wheel and I will. When the release notes tell me to go ahead order a burger and sit in the back seat to enjoy the ride.....maybe.

Meanwhile, as a guy who seldom reads instruction manuals (I now read release notes carefully), AND has NO patience to wait for incremental firmware upgrades.....I am forced to learn new skills:eek:. Heading out now for lunch and letting the car do it's thing. I like it. Y'all be safe out there, ok? :)

Interesting. I had not thought of that. Could be a test of whether we can read and follow the release notes. Or read at at all. As we continue on our quest for the BEST "self driving" "Autonomous" "Autosteer" "Enhanced Autosteer" .....um...as drivers (?) it is more likely than not we will have to follow some simple to understand directions which IMHO we should read, understand and follow to stay safe (time wise - this will be the case probably for future months or years no matter how smart and fast handed we think we are.)

Yeah, they could be pacing our learning. At any rate, it tells me to keep my hands on the wheel and I will. When the release notes tell me to go ahead order a burger and sit in the back seat to enjoy the ride.....maybe.

Meanwhile, as a guy who seldom reads instruction manuals (I now read release notes carefully), AND has NO patience to wait for incremental firmware upgrades.....I am forced to learn new skills:eek:. Heading out now for lunch and letting the car do it's thing. I like it. Y'all be safe out there, ok? :)

I can't remember where I read it, but some study mentioned the most dangerous part of semi-autonomous driving is in the "hand off" from car to driver when the AP can't navigate the situation.

A somewhat handicapped AP2 is definitely teaching me to only trust the car in certain situations, and be ready to jerk the wheel to keep the car from hitting a curb or whatever. As it gets more capable, I'll be erring on the side of safety rather than being overconfident. The poor AP performance is making me a much better AP driver I think than a good AP would.

While I doubt they have intentionally made AP2 less capable than it could be besides the speed limits, it does seem to be following a similar path as AP1 where they let the less capable versions teach the driver before improvements came along. As the idiot who ran into the truck taught us all, overconfidence in the AP is far more dangerous than a poor AP that requires lots of driver intervention. The bug might actually be a feature.

Reactions: Mobster
Watching these videos, it makes me think. What about that video Tesla it showing on their website? It shows the car driving so well. I get when they released the video they had an excuse that they needed government approvals, but they are now shipping AP2 functionality so approvals are in place, so why can't it work as well as the Tesla demo video? If I was to guess, the video was staged or hard-coded - software only works on that specific stretch of road, possibly remote controlled too.

Reactions: mikerathbun