TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autosteer on local Roads Videos (17.7.2)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by seevT, Feb 25, 2017.

1. xborg

xborg Member

Thanks for posting.
    What kind of camera are you sing? It made me sick :)

2. disagree

disagree hos epi to polu

What part of the update did you not understand?

- What's new in this update:

"AUTOSTEER WHILE ON LOCAL ROADS"

Please, be careful with your toaster.

• Like x 3
  3. Archduke

Archduke Member

I wondered this as well.

4. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

As someone else noted before, it's fully possible/probable that the networks that actually perform the driving/steering aren't in place in production cars yet. That would mean they just use a rules-based architecture for actually driving and neural networks for, at this point, detecting cars and lane markers.

The reason to do so would be if the former works well in very particular conditions with some very bad failure cases when you get outside those conditions. Depending on their network architecture, it may not even be possible to split off segments of it to handle keeping in the same lane without also trying to follow navigation directions.

5. eloder

eloder Active Member

It's about as alarming as an iPhone's ability to fly under its own power.

(Don't be alarmed when you use technology in complete opposition of how the instructions tell you to use said technology, and get poor results)

6. MasterT

MasterT Member

Which is??? Which way?

7. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

The instructions in the release notes, the manual, and that pop up every time you activate auto steering clearly say you should keep your hands on the wheel at all times and be ready to take over. The person in that video, instead, left the car to its own devices entirely and waited until it put them in an incredibly dangerous position(particularly with the oncoming car) before doing so.

8. Lauz

Lauz Member

The software update screen tells you that speed is limited to 35mph on local roads with AP2. Which is different to AP1, where speed on local roads does not suffer the same limitation. But that still not overrules the manual. AP is meant for highway driving. Take it out on local roads at your own risk.

I start to understand why all plastic bags in the US carries suffocation warnings...

• Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 2
  9. disagree

disagree hos epi to polu

So even though the release notes for our EAP update EXPLICITLY tell us that we now have autosteer on local roads up to 35mph, we shouldn't use it because the manual -- which was written before the update -- says that we don't have local road autosteer?

Take me to your leader.

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  10. tezzla

tezzla Member

You can either complain about the software being late OR how crappie it is. You can't have both (at this early stage anyways).

• Like x 1
  11. disagree

disagree hos epi to polu

Actually, that's not, like, a rule of logic.

• Funny x 1
  12. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

From my understanding, also based on the FSD info they had to release to CA, it appears those X's they used had a combined 500 miles of FSD likely on one or two routes, just to get that video.

The difference of how Nvidia does it's learning versus how Mobileye did theirs.

13. Joe F

Joe F Disruption is hard.

He can't. His leader visited the US and failed to read the warnings on the plastic bag. His family misses him dearly. :rolleyes:

14. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Member

Just tried it this morning and yeah below beta quality. I really hope it's automatically sending feedback whenever you disengage it by grabbing the wheel, hell I really hope it's sending the feedback when it's not active and it would've made a different decision than the one you make.

15. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Blader,
    Thanks for posting this. WRT determining whether AP 2.0 is doing any on the fly "learning" or whether it only improves with subsequent releases, we need more videos like this. And what is specifically needed, is for someone to drive the same road under very similar conditions frequently, and post the resulting videos. Only then will there be any solid evidence as to the rate at which the software is improving. Empirical evidence is what is needed.

On the 5-6 threads here where people report on AP 2.0 issues, this kind of repeatable testing is sorely lacking. I'm surprised no one has started a thread with that level of testing in mind. It could be something as simple as recording your daily trip into work, pointing out where the AP 2.0 gets confused, and seeing whether it gets confused in the same place over time.

RT

• Like x 1
  16. daviddc

daviddc Member

I agree completely. I also thank you for posting this video. First, it gives me confidence that my car is not the only one that is operating so poorly on local roads. We all want Tesla to get their software right and feedback like this can only help - assuming anyone from Tesla is listening.

I completely disagree with the attitude that we are not supposed to provide negative feedback because the manual warns us to keep our hands on the wheel.

If Tesla gave us a mechanism to provide feedback, I would gladly take time from my day to provide it on a regular basis. As it is, we just have to hope they have an efficient means of gathering the data.

And lastly, I also agree with the posts that note that Tesla sold something completely different from what they have delivered so far. Since then, they have changed the language on their website which promised enhanced auto pilot in Dec 2016. With that said, I'm very happy with my car and I will continue to contribute if it helps.

17. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

If I am not mistaken you can leave feedback. Press the voice button and then say feedback (I think) and leave your feedback. No clue if they listen to it though.

18. anonim1979

anonim1979 Member

EAP "is expected to" not "promissed".
    "Forward-looking statement" that might or might not happen in a predicted time.

[​IMG]

19. NerdUno

NerdUno Member

@anonim1979 Is it fair to say English isn't your primary language?

• Love x 1
  20. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

For me, its scary to use AP2 on anything other than the following
    - Stop go traffic on freeway
    - Single lane highway with 50mph speeds

Just about all other scenarios, even with my hands on the wheel are a bit scary and nervous. The car drifts, darts unexpectedly and just feels nervous and unsure. There are so many times the lane markers have gaps, but instead of sticking to the line or following the straight line on one side, the car seems to get confused. I would not trust the car at 55mph on a freeway at this point, I have no idea why they are releasing that now when it feels so unstable and unsafe.

For stop and go in freeway during commute hours and traffic though, its really nice and works very well though so it is useful even in its current state, but the speed increases seem pointless when the overall quality does not seem to be improving as such.