Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer problem with "Super Street" U-turn Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to be flippant, but autopilot follows lane markings. With that in mind, I'm curious as to what you thought that it was going to do in this case?

I would hope it would follow the lane markings and end up in the correct lane.

I have a 5 way intersection near my house and the lane departure warning freaks out when on manual drive going through the intersection. I haven't tried it on AP.

kaffine said:
I have a 5 way intersection near my house and the lane departure warning freaks out ...
Nor should you since the system is explicitly not intended for use with intersections
Which is why it shouldn't have been used in the situation shown by the OP

Pleas STOP spreading BS.
There are no disclaimers in Model 3 manual restricting use of AutoSteer and Lane Departure Warnings across intersections!

If you disagree, share the text, or reference to page/paragraph from here:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

In general, these excuses of "Tesla's features do not work not because it's driver's fault for not using them correctly" are tired, lame, and lazy.

Yes, there are a LOT of bugs in Tesla's features.
Yes, we are all collectively learning to work around them.
Yes, Tesla's disclaimers are numerous, confusing, and if taken literally, would void 99% of real-world driving situations.
No, it's not user's fault. It's Tesla's fault. We are all learning to deal with it.

We are all here to help each other out, not cover Tesla's butt!

Pleas STOP spreading BS.
There are no disclaimers in Model 3 manual restricting use of AutoSteer and Lane Departure Warnings across intersections!

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

In general, these excuses of "Tesla's features do not work not because it's driver's fault for not using them correctly" are tired, lame, and lazy.

Yes, there are a LOT of bugs in Tesla's features.
Yes, we are all collectively learning to work around them.
Yes, Tesla's disclaimers are numerous, confusing, and if taken literally, would void 99% of real-world driving situations.
No, it's not user's fault. It's Tesla's fault. We are all learning to deal with it.

We are all here to help each other out, not cover Tesla's butt!

The lines always feel blurred to me and change with each update in capability and AP driving characteristics. If it was just plain LKA Lane keeping assist & LFA Lane Following Assist then in my experience this just drives on and only looks at the lines in the lane you should be in until you chose to change. Autopilot however seems to also work on some self driving step over and sometimes turn off when you least expect it as a new driver and kind of expect it being an experienced one. My feeling is we are all trying to train the AI regardless of having FSD or not ( speculation ). I never had the Eniro ( previous EV ) phantom break once in 1000,s of miles with LKA+LFA enabled on most of the trip there on highway and some town roads. AP to me is def beta and would have no realistic chance yet of getting it to do anything in that picture unless it was allowed to just go forward and pickup the lines. One would argue LKA+LFA is superior to AP in its current state for lane keeping and traffic distance and stop start following in terms of smoothness. Which for all the touted could do's is getting long in the tooth. I agree its not the drivers fault when these features do not come with practical you are a beta testing warning and what it really entails moving at 70mph.

When I mean practical and instructional txt and video showing what it could do by surprise and what to be ready for until it no longer does this.

Pleas STOP spreading BS.

Except yes, there are.

The only BS here is yours. Again.

It explicitly states it on page 93, just like the last 10 times you've asked.

Page 93 of owners manual said:
Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited access roads with a fully attentive driver"

If there's a light-controlled intersection with cross traffic, which there is in the picture in the original post- that is not a limited access highway

I even cited the federal definition of this earlier in this thread.

Not sure why you keep pretending it's new info every time you have to have this explained to you?

Nor should you since the system is explicitly not intended for use with intersections

Which is why it shouldn't have been used in the situation shown by the OP

Tesla knows if the car is on a limited access road if they were serious about it they would disable autosteer unless on limited access roads in fact they do disable NoAP if not on limited access road so they have the ability. As the driver is 100% responsible for what happens it is up the the driver if they want to use autosteer on surface streets or not.

I use autosteer for most of my driving. There are a few roads either due to poor or no lane markings or odd intersections that I don't use it on. I am ready to take over when needed no reason not to use it.

Tesla knows if the car is on a limited access road if they were serious about it they would disable autosteer unless on limited access roads

Tesla (and in fact every other brand of car with a nav system) knows the speed limit in the same database.

If they were serious about you driving legally they'd restrict your top speed to the speed limit right? Or at least lock out setting any cruise control system it has to not go above that- right?

No, of course not.

In both cases they leave it to the human driving the car to use the system correctly and safely in accordance with the directions in the owners manual.

As the driver is 100% responsible for what happens it is up the the driver if they want to use autosteer on surface streets or not.

Right.

Just as its up to them if they wanna drive while texting... or drunk... or doing 120 mph through a school zone... the car will let them do ll those things too (even though it could actually prevent at least one of them with existing HW, and the other two pretty easily with not much added HW)

Likewise it's the drivers responsibility to be aware of if/when any of those things are actually appropriate to do- including knowing what roads AP is explicitly not intended for use on

If they want to use it anyway then come complain about it "not working right" here they can expect to have it pointed out to them.

What's extra weird is the folks hitting "disagree" with someone quoting the literal users manual to them.

if anything this shows us why mass market level 5 fsd is probably 20 years away at the soonest

Since the current AP code is not, at all, the code that Tesla is planning to use for FSD..... no, it doesn't show that at all.

Reactions: Salted
Since the current AP code is not, at all, the code that Tesla is planning to use for FSD..... no, it doesn't show that at all.

...right... so what your saying is the fact that Tesla isn’t running/testing the code they plan to use for FSD that means they are close to rolling it out. LOL. Also, i think you are pulling this out of your nether regions since FSD code is an iterative process...

Tesla (and in fact every other brand of car with a nav system) knows the speed limit in the same database.

If they were serious about you driving legally they'd restrict your top speed to the speed limit right? Or at least lock out setting any cruise control system it has to not go above that- right?

No, of course not.

In both cases they leave it to the human driving the car to use the system correctly and safely in accordance with the directions in the owners manual.

Right.

Just as its up to them if they wanna drive while texting... or drunk... or doing 120 mph through a school zone... the car will let them do ll those things too (even though it could actually prevent at least one of them with existing HW, and the other two pretty easily with not much added HW)

Likewise it's the drivers responsibility to be aware of if/when any of those things are actually appropriate to do- including knowing what roads AP is explicitly not intended for use on

If they want to use it anyway then come complain about it "not working right" here they can expect to have it pointed out to them.

What's extra weird is the folks hitting "disagree" with someone quoting the literal users manual to them.

Based on my experience the maps do not know the speed limits on a lot of roads. This isn't even accounting for construction zones just the normal posted speed limits is frequently wrong.

Doing 120mph in a school zone is a bit more dangerous than using lane assist. I'm already holding the steering wheel and am ready to take over so it isn't going to cause a crash. Doing 120 mph in a school zone will increase my stopping distance though.

Reactions: Salted
But the markings confused Autosteer (see illustration), and at 55 mph it suddenly veered me from the right lane into the left lane, and I had to manually jerk it back into the proper lane.

In my 35 years of driving experience, I've driven over a half million miles. I can tell you with utmost confidence that there are many human drivers that would get confused and incorrectly navigate this abomination of an intersection.

If I was approaching this intersection with autosteer engaged, the very first thought that would enter my head when I saw the intersection would be the near certainty that AP would f*ck it up. I would have both hands on the wheel waiting for the first 2 inches of misposition as AP attempted to follow the dotted line rather than crossing it as intended, and I'd steer the car correctly to disengage autosteer.

If this reaction is not what entered your head as you approached this intersection, you need to rethink your expectations of autosteer's capabilities.

Reactions: Salted and sduck
...right... so what your saying is the fact that Tesla isn’t running/testing the code they plan to use for FSD that means they are close to rolling it out. LOL.

Uh... what?

I'm saying the current code isn't what they're going to use for FSD.

Elon Musk has mentioned it as well.

Apparently the only LOL here is how out of the loop you are on information....

...r
Also, i think you are pulling this out of your nether regions since FSD code is an iterative process...

Nope, not at all what's being discussed.

They've been working a fundamental, foundational, re-write of the system and object labeling.

This has been public info since at least late January.

It's expected this will be the first HW3 native code since it'll use all the cameras at full frame rate for 3D labeling (something HW2.5 is incapable of)

So again, what the current 2.5 native code is doing today has little to nothing at all to do with what the HW3 code will do once it's finished.

Sounds like you need to do some reading before you do any more writing :)

Doing 120mph in a school zone is a bit more dangerous than using lane assist. I'm already holding the steering wheel and am ready to take over so it isn't going to cause a crash.

That's great.

But we know, for a fact, many drivers are not doing that when using autosteer.

See for example the two very famous deaths using it... specifically using it on roads it's not intended to be used

Who both had plenty of time to avoid the accident if they actually had been holding the wheel and ready to take over and paying attention.

By all means- if you wish to use it on such roads anyway, and you're paying constant attention, your car, your call.

As long as you're doing it with the clear understanding the system isn't meant to be used on such roads, and explicitly is not intended to handle many situations that those roads might present, and is likely to fail to handle some of said situations, and it'll be entirely on the driver who chose to use it anyway when that happens.

Last edited:
By all means- if you wish to use it on such roads anyway, and you're paying constant attention, your car, your call.

AP can be quite amusing in weird, light-traffic settings. While vacationing in the south Jan/Feb I would use it on frontage and camping roads, many without markings, just to see how well it could cope. Late January we stayed at an Arizona state park (Kartchner Caverns) for a week, so I was able to try the same non-road 30+ times, at different speeds, monitoring how it responded without discernable lines (painted ~'89?). I've no idea if Tesla HQ noticed the repetition but there was a definite improvement over our stay, especially with the late Jan OTA.

Anyway, simple entertainment for this retired developer. Most of the time I ping-pong between awe and "WTF are you DOING?" Have to wonder if they're recording the in-car cam and microphone when we override AP. :D

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar