Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average waiting time from order to delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered July and haven't heard anything. SR+ in blue, the rest standard.

It said August when I ordered it. I got a call to say September. It's now October and there's no sight of it.

Not even got an SC VIN.

Starting to give up hope. My lease ended a month ago and I've been renting a car. It's costing me a fortune. I think I'll just get an Alfa Giulia instead. Telsa don't even have the common decency to phone and say there's a delay. It ridiculous. Never have I been treated so poorly by a car dealer.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Not SR+, but ordered 9th May, so 147 days so far.

Not so much as a hidden VIN yet.

No changes made to order after placing.

LR AWD, MSM, black interior, 18" aero, tow hitch, no FSD.
That’s my spec except I coughed up for FSD, I ordered after you. I believe it was more to do with delivery location, but possibly FSD. Although Tesla get more cash for FSD they report car sales to the market as the headline figure. FSD must help their cashflow.

Still can’t quite believe I have a Tesla, hang on in there, the car is like owning alien technology, good luck :)

Reactions: pmg102 and Roy W.

It said August when I ordered it. I got a call to say September. It's now October and there's no sight of it.

Not even got an SC VIN.

Starting to give up hope. My lease ended a month ago and I've been renting a car. It's costing me a fortune. I think I'll just get an Alfa Giulia instead. Telsa don't even have the common decency to phone and say there's a delay. It ridiculous. Never have I been treated so poorly by a car dealer.
Charge thst back to tesla for poor information and advertising. Might even get it in small claims court if you try.

This is old (but I'm not sure the spreadsheet has much new data for estimated deliveries in the last month). If you believe the recent tranche, 6-8 weeks might be the new norm (excluding the odd lucky inventory match which is the result of a cancellation).
M3_order_to_deliver.PNG

Reactions: Clunk

Not even got an SC VIN.

For future reference leasing companies often offer what's called an Informal Extension. So if you are due to give you car back and don't have a replacement, you can ring them up and extend for a few months without having to sign a new agreement.

VW offer this - my VW was due to go back at the end of September, but I rang them and in 2 mins had sorted a 2 month extension. They offer up to 3 months on an informal basis. All I had to do was sort out the MOT, but the maintinence plan and all monthly payments stay the same during the informal extension.

Also wouldn't give up on Tesla just yet. It seems like a lot of people waiting right now ordered in July/August - I think we will be seeing a lot of July/August orders delivered on one of the next two ships. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: ringi
That’s my spec except I coughed up for FSD, I ordered after you. I believe it was more to do with delivery location, but possibly FSD. Although Tesla get more cash for FSD they report car sales to the market as the headline figure. FSD must help their cashflow.

Still can’t quite believe I have a Tesla, hang on in there, the car is like owning alien technology, good luck :)
FSD does not help their cash flow. They must put the FSD money in a suspense account, and can only bank it when they deliver the FSD features promised. In the US, it is expected that, having delivered Advance Summon, they will be able to bank a percentage of the money. That will not apply for European sales, I think.

I ordered a Model 3 Performance in Blue on 12th Sept and I'm picking it up this weekend. Not sure if I've been very lucky or just getting a car that no one else wanted ??
Could also just be a misallocated car. When I went to pickup I heard them talking about how somebody had changed colour but it wasn't correct on all their systems so their original colour had turned up

I like the table, but at 148 days and counting, think it needs to have the scale expanded upwards.

A drawback of the methodology, I don't know where to put 'future delivery' estimates. This is only entries where there is a firm delivery estimate. I guess yours won't be even on the boat loading now (since that looks like a rush load from the factory last week). Maybe I could put a T+2 month line on the next version for all the 'open' entries.

FSD does not help their cash flow. They must put the FSD money in a suspense account, and can only bank it when they deliver the FSD features promised.

They certainly shouldn't book it 100% to revenue and report it as income to the market till the feature is delivered, but I'm not sure it needs to be ringfenced. They may even be able to book a small fraction of it based on intermediate milestones (such as submission for regulatory approval, or NDA deployment). So it should help cashflow, but not the profit/loss account.

Reactions: TM3PTN