Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average Wh/mi since owning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F62F6BE0-1A86-4345-8434-2B92C37A6CE3.png

Last update I can be bothered with! I think we can all see the picture.

The SR+ well above the others happens to be mine. Most my pre- heating last Winter was unplugged.

The positions will be enormously influenced by the amount of summer vs winter driving.
Most Teslas won’t tow, but other than cold that is the thing that will kill range stone dead. When I tow using my X it’s a good day if Wh per mile is below the 450~500 Wh/mi level. Trying to second guess actual range and charge stops on a long towing trip can be interesting.

Otherwise the difference between summer and winter can typically upwards of 100 Wh/Mike. The car is also warming the battery as well as the humans.

The positions will be enormously influenced by the amount of summer vs winter driving.
You are right.this will be a big factor and you can see the low milage figures are generally lower. This will be because they are mainly newer owners who have done no winter miles. The LR's show this best on the graph. the low mileres are at around 250wh/m and the high milers more like 280. Having collected in November I have seen both and in my personal M3 LR experience I would put it at around 50wh/m for me (250 summer 300 winter) which gives me an average of around 280 ( more miles over the winter) which fits the data above spot on

Most Teslas won’t tow, but other than cold that is the thing that will kill range stone dead. When I tow using my X it’s a good day if Wh per mile is below the 450~500 Wh/mi level. Trying to second guess actual range and charge stops on a long towing trip can be interesting.
This is a route we've done several times in my Daughters Model X 75D - USA Santa Barbara California to Boise Idaho via Nevada. One overnight & between 5-6 supercharger stops.

However on one occasion the son-in law towed a heavy trailer & a loaded car, needed additional destination charger stops & on the longest stretch the car advised 45mph to arrive with 5% (however for the last 30 miles, needed 35mph to arrive at only 2%). At every stop he had to charge to full, usually +60 minutes.

afZovTD.jpg

Very interesting results. Thank you to all who responded and to NewbieT in particular for the scatter plots.

Besides the cold-weather observations, my takeaway is that the Performance model seems to encourage a heavy right foot in the owner community (lots of high silver dots) and especially for me it would seem. No surprise there I suppose, why else would anyone choose that model?

To follow up on my last post. Forgive the man maths.

0.4L / 100km is about 7mpg. The average car in the UK is about 39mpg. So 7mpg is about 18% hit.

The LRs average about 278 Wh/mi in scatter graph. So 18% off 278 brings it to 228 Wh/mi to compensate for the extra weight. This isn’t far off the SR+ average of 244 Wh/mi (excluding the inefficient outlining car, ahem).

Basically the difference in weight is a credible argument for the difference in efficiency between SR+ and LR. Probably a heavy right foot accounts for the difference between LR and P.

My previous post assumed the weight difference was all batteries. There is of course a second motor to consider probably 120kg, oh, and a sub-woofer. Let’s say extra 5,000 cells?

If someone wants to count cells or weigh their rear motor I’m all ears!!

Musings finished. Carry on regardless.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeeves
Basically the difference in weight is a credible argument for the difference in efficiency between SR+ and LR. Probably a heavy right foot accounts for the difference between LR and P.

Base performance maybe, but on performance with PUP, ie current standard performance spec, the 20" wheels and 'sticky rubber' will make a difference too. People who run 18" winters and 20" normally may have some info from the shoulder months.

Just under 16K miles on 2018 Model 3 LR in California, averaging 231 wh/mi for at least the last 10K miles. We don’t drive 70+ on freeways, within 5mph of speed limit all the time, rare jack rabbit starts, usually only two of us in the car, A/C off until upper 70sF, and rare that our heater is required in central California (use seat heaters instead). We are not surprised with our 231 wh/mi average.

Otherwise the difference between summer and winter can typically upwards of 100 Wh/Mike. The car is also warming the battery as well as the humans.

I use my std Range Model X (75Kw Dual Motor Raven) for towing a LOT - towing a speedboat most summer weekends, an Ifor Williams 4 wheel 3500Kg trailer regularly with a John Deere Compact tractor or cement or some such on it.

My normal WH/Km is somewhere between 180 to 220 Wh/Km with no trailer and I regularly see 350 to 430 Wh/Km with a trailer. Simple rule of thumb that has worked for me so far over 15,000 Km is to halve the quoted range when towing something. If your range displayed 100Km remaining, then you will safely cover 40Km, but you cannot go much above the speed limit if you want to get there, or accelerate like a lunatic. The X is BY FAR the best tow vehicle I have ever owned, range anxiety issues aside, however.