Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average Wh/mi since owning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dec 21 M3LR on 18 inch wheels. Mainly 15 mile journeys and short under 1 mile trips around town. Plus several 550 milers (one way trip) at motorway speeds usually in winter. Use Michelin CC2s for Oct to March driving. PS4s in spring and summer.

19000 miles at 252 wh/mi

It’s a reasonable difference between a performance and LR. All down to the tyres or that 1,000 tons of downforce the massive rear spoiler gives it? 😉

Has anyone ever done a test where say you take a Model 3 Long Range then test the same car on same route with the 18’s, 19’s and then also the Performance 20inch wheels? Be curious what the differences are between them all.

Sounds like a job for Bjorn Nyland
I’ve found a few places where many suggest it’s at least 50Wh/mile more to be on the 20’s vs 18’s so it’s quite the difference.

Probably a LR with Acceleration Boost if you want it is ideal. Range and really strong performance. Shame they aren’t offering Acceleration Boost on the Highland I believe at the moment.

Reactions: Js1977
M3LR. Feb ‘22. 47k mostly long runs 274 HW/m. That’s on 19” (still original tyres probably 5k left). until about 2k ago when I fitted 18” ex Subaru Speedline Corse with Winter tyres

Getting about 270- 330 on a long run now with the winter tyres.

One of the sales guys I work with got a Highland last week .. just 2 weeks from order to delivery via Lease Plan.

He will be driving from Bristol to Aberdeen in a few weeks, be interesting to see what gets.

Plenty of history of improvements like that "coming later". maybe its because they have wanted to see how batteries (on new models) perform before unlocking such features.
I don’t quite buy that in this case as it’s the same battery and motors so they should understand this already.

I have a feeling it’s either so people who might buy a Performance keep waiting for it or the new Performance isn’t going to be quicker so they want to keep a larger gap between the models this time. Got to think that acceleration boost cannibalised some Performance sales in the past.

So for ages I've been sweating about my Wh/mi being over 300 and thinking I'm getting terrible efficiency because others are saying 250.

Then I did the math and for a 200 mile trip -

250Wh/mi costs £7.50
350Wh/mi costs £10.50

Worst case £3 difference on a long trip. No more sleepless nights for me. Sometimes with this car I get lost in the data.

So for ages I've been sweating about my Wh/mi being over 300 and thinking I'm getting terrible efficiency because others are saying 250.

Then I did the math and for a 200 mile trip -

250Wh/mi costs £7.50
350Wh/mi costs £10.50

Worst case £3 difference on a long trip. No more sleepless nights for me. Sometimes with this car I get lost in the data.
Agree totally, that's the beauty of a home charger on a decent tariff.
If I didn't have a home charger/subject to on the road costs likely I'd be a little more mindful!