Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week i was able to go to the designer url (even though i had no edit link for some time now after i had completed steps with no trade in, no financing). But this week i just get bumped back to my car "manage" page. Clearly, designer is closed for me now regardless of my contract details.

But the car page is unchanged. I don't have vin and it still promises sep-nov with "we will contact you" phrase. I wonder if the designer just shuts off automatically after 6 weeks, and in this case bears no particular significance.

PS reservation 3/17

Trust me, I am in no way trying to rain on anyone's parade. My sense is there is a lot of, how did Greenspan put it, irrational exuberance, going on. I don't pretend to be anyone's financial advisor.
No dont worry - no raining perceived - reality checks are good... Sooo want electric, Can't stand the chunky dial and buttons look - Love the minimalist look and feel in a car - had a Prius liked the look, loved the mileage, but the experience left me "bored". If I didnt have the lease looming I would wait more patiently! - no apologies necessary I am using the blog to gather information from those who know more than I :)

I don't think the edit button disappearing has any bearing on the process.

I submitted my order 7/18/18, no reservation. My edit button disappeared about a week later when I set the payment information to cash. I'm hoping to get it closer to the end of November.

Reactions: gjunky
Based on 640 entries to the AWD / P-AWD tracking sheet (data entry form here) started by @Revelate, only 9.2% of orders have received a VIN, and only 8% have received their delivery. But based on those, here's the summary of days between order → delivery by state:

upload_2018-8-13_12-33-4.png

Observations
  • California has the quickest average turnaround of 51 days for AWD and 29 days for Performance
  • North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Utah each get deliveries on average almost 3 months after ordering, or twice as long as California.
  • Only four states have received Performance Model 3s: California (3), Florida (1), New Jersey (2), and Oregon (1) (though it's still a small sample size)
  • I say "state", because apparently no AWDs or P-AWD VINs have been given to Canada yet.

Map of US AWD & Performance orders

upload_2018-8-13_12-35-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-13_12-32-41.png
    upload_2018-8-13_12-32-41.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 52
I talked to delivery adviser this morning. She said that they are trying to find one that is in transit already to replace mine that we rejected. I'll know more this afternoon.
Wow! While I certainly understand refusing a car damaged at delivery, giving you someone else's car is unconsciensable. Consider if your car, after notifying you it was enroute was redirected to someone else. Perhaps you'll get a showroom m
Based on 640 entries to the AWD / P-AWD tracking sheet (data entry form here) started by @Revelate, only 9.2% of orders have received a VIN, and only 8% have received their delivery. But based on those, here's the summary of days between order → delivery by state:

Observations
  • California has the quickest average turnaround of 51 days for AWD and 29 days for Performance
  • North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Utah each get deliveries on average almost 3 months after ordering, or twice as long as California.
  • Only four states have received Performance Model 3s: California (3), Florida (1), New Jersey (2), and Oregon (1) (though it's still a small sample size)
  • I say "state", because apparently no AWDs or P-AWD VINs have been given to Canada yet.

View attachment 325380
There are many inherent flaws in all these trackers. MANY, cars will arrive when they arrive. CA gets quicker delivery because the factory is there.

Reactions: Ejl80
Wow! While I certainly understand refusing a car damaged at delivery, giving you someone else's car is unconsciensable. Consider if your car, after notifying you it was enroute was redirected to someone else. Perhaps you'll get a showroom m
The cars in transit are not assigned to anyone. The VIN is not matched to a customer until the car reaches it's final distribution point.

• Informative
Reactions: Yuri_G and Big Earl
"...There are many inherent flaws in all these trackers. MANY, cars will arrive when they arrive. CA gets quicker delivery because the factory is there.

I would suggest there are "limitations" based on a small data set, but this is the best info available, and better than assertions based on no data. The fact California is getting deliveries faster is supported by the data. Besides, I'm sure some people are reassured if their state is seeing at least some deliveries. Thanks for providing constructive feedback, @wcorey - not.

Last edited:
I wish Tesla was better at just having a party line for all this information that they kept posted in FAQ’s, or on our account pages because while I totally believe you have been told that jkirkwood001, the person I just spoke with in Utah implied to me that as soon as it finished production I’d get a VIN and a call. As of now, still no VIN, so I’ll be polluting the crap out of the world starting on Thursday. ☹️ They also said they started AWD deliveries in Utah 7 days ago.

Reactions: Ron Kerensky
[QUOTE="...There are many inherent flaws in all these trackers. MANY, cars will arrive when they arrive. CA gets quicker delivery because the factory is there.

I would suggest there are "limitations" based on a small data set, but this is the best info available, and better than assertions based on no data. The fact California is getting deliveries faster is supported by the data. Besides, I'm sure some people are reassured if their state is seeing at least some deliveries. Thanks for providing constructive feedback, @wcorey - not.[/QUOTE]
If you bothered to look at my timeline, so to speak, I've gone into great detail why. But you be you.
Perhaps it would help if you took several courses in statistics and sampling bias.

I wish Tesla was better at just having a party line for all this information that they kept posted in FAQ’s, or on our account pages because while I totally believe you have been told that jkirkwood001, the person I just spoke with in Utah implied to me that as soon as it finished production I’d get a VIN and a call. As of now, still no VIN, so I’ll be polluting the crap out of the world starting on Thursday. ☹️ They also said they started AWD deliveries in Utah 7 days ago.

Not sure what you're telling me, but I got the same promise almost a month ago. The sheet is just trying to get some data to back up the promises. More data, better observations.

Observations

I want to believe this, but being that 43 days have passed since I configured, and my reservation was only 1.25 years ago, I don't think I will be getting my car anytime soon. I still have the edit button, and no contact from tesla other than to have an electrician come out)

Also I changed to white interior on July 23rd (when it was fist offered), so perhaps that rest me back to 0 days, meaning only 20 days have passed?

I want to believe this, but being that 43 days have passed since I configured, and my reservation was only 1.25 years ago, I don't think I will be getting my car anytime soon. I still have the edit button, and no contact from tesla other than to have an electrician come out)

Also I changed to white interior on July 23rd (when it was fist offered), so perhaps that rest me back to 0 days, meaning only 20 days have passed?
I'm in roughly the same boat (configured May 2017) - I called to see what switching to white interior would mean and was told that it would definitely have a negative impact on my delivery date. He couldn't give me much detail but said that I would possibly be pushed past the end of December. As always, the usual caveats apply when discussing information given out by the customer support reps...

So, 700 posts... ain't gonna read them all. But just curious if anyone has a good sense of what the AWD delivery rollout is looking like.
Previous S and X owner. Deposit on March 31 online night of launch, reserved 6/28 for AWD. Seems like I oughta be up there in the queue, but still just showing a RN number.