Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just called today to see if I would get lucky. I did get lucky with no hold time, but unfortunately no VIN (or even marked as having a tentative VIN). That makes me really consider switching to white seats. The photos people posted with Red + White looks awesome! I figured if I was marked at least with a tentative VIN, I wouldn't touch a thing...decisions, decisions

Edit: switched to white interior :p

Last edited:
But I have my money out, ordered concisely, and didn't look him in the eye. George Costanza would have approved. :p
Seriously, that department is a mess. I wanted to talk to a manager. I'm a shareholder also. I want the company to succeed wildly. Try calling Apple for customer service. Completely different experience. The gold standard in my book.

I'm so glad you were old enough to get the reference!

I agree with everything you said. I'm a shareholder, a three time Model S owner and this Model 3 buying experience has been an exercise in frustration. I still believe in the company whole heartedly but they need to push through these growing pains quickly.

Mike

Just called today to see if I would get lucky. Nope, no VIN (or even marked as having a tentative VIN). That makes me really consider switching to white seats. The photos people posted with Red + White looks awesome! I figured if I was marked at least with a tentative VIN, I wouldn't touch a thing...decisions, decisions
What is a "tentative VIN?" The first guy I spoke with this morning said that I have "the first four numbers" of a VIN indicating that I was going into production AND that a DA or OA was assigned. Then my call got dropped. Argh. Called back and spoke with the manager and he said it was all bullshit and just didn't happen. I asked what the first guy was looking at and he didn't have a good answer. Nice.

• Funny
Reactions: riverFox
Just as another data point. Excited to say I have a delivery scheduled for tomorrow. Crossing my fingers that there are no issues/delays:

Reserved 4-3-16
Ordered 6-27-18
Edit button disappeared 8-4-18 (I think)
Multi-Coat Red
Black Interior
LR AWD (non-P)
19” Sport Wheels
EAP
Pickup Location: Cherry Hill

Congrats! Do you know the VIN and are you a previous Tesla owner?

Starting to get really annoyed with Tesla though. Have the exact same configuration, but reserved on 3/31/16 (#11 or so in line), am in northern CA about 100 miles from the factory, and ordered the car on 5/31/2018.

What is a "tentative VIN?" The first guy I spoke with this morning said that I have "the first four numbers" of a VIN indicating that I was going into production AND that a DA or OA was assigned. Then my call got dropped. Argh. Called back and spoke with the manager and he said it was all bullshit and just didn't happen. I asked what the first guy was looking at and he didn't have a good answer. Nice.

My overview (i)'s clicking on the (i) does not show a VIN assigned, but the lower right Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement is populated and when you view it it has a VIN in the document.

I really don't think these are regional issues, except for the fact that if you aren't in California you are at the back of the list or maybe it is way more random. I'm in Utah where I bet there really should have only been about 100-200 people max ahead of me at reservation who would not still be waiting for SR or non-premium interior. Pre-reveal reserved w/ early morning 6/27 config of AWD/silver/aero. At 5000 cars/wk shipped to 75 SC's across the US, that would be ~67 cars per week delivered per SC. While a lot of cars, that isn't crazy high numbers. Also, by that metric I already would have the car, but I have heard nothing from Tesla except that everything is in order and no VIN. I don't have numbers, but from what I've seen I'd be surprised if they have delivered more than 50-75 Model 3's in Utah. They are super rare still. I see as many Maserati's as Tesla's :)

I agree with others that they could easily create better transparency in the post configuration process. By now they should have good data on fallout rates at each step along the way and they should be able to just map out where people's cars are with a buffer of volume that get's rapidly assigned if it isn't needed due to improved quality metrics. I wouldn't give people a VIN, just a production phase that the person's car is currently in. (say 1-5) At most someone would get stalled in a phase for an extra cycle. This isn't rocket science, and even if it was, they got that.

Yeah I have only seen maybe 5 in Utah on the streets and can map most of them to the spreadsheets on this site. It doesn't seem like many have made it our way. I think just a few more updates would go a long way, let people know when their likely batch is going into production or even post a schedule of when they do different color combination batches so people can hope theirs is in the latest batch that matches their config. Pretty much anything to make it feel like the process is moving rather than you sitting refreshing for months and then having 3 days to get a loan and all of that.

Reactions: JFW1103
You guys! I just called them to see if I have a VIN.
The good news? I DO!! :D
The bad news? The rep couldn't tell me what it is! :confused:
I have no reason to disbelieve her - but would've liked to know which batch.

Anyone else experience this?

Blue AWD EAP 19" Black Interior
Reserved: 4/1/16
Configured/ordered: 4/24/18
Devon PA delivery location

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
...aaaand it's working again. They're just ****ing with me at this point.

The edit URL had been redirecting back to the main Account page, but it's loading the editor again now.

I've had that experience 3 times over the past 55 days now.

I haven't had an actual link to edit design since the beginning of July. I still wonder if it means anything at all to be able to get to that url. Also, if you aren't logged in and clicked into the manage page of your account before attempting the manual url step it never goes to the edit design page, just your main account page. I think we have a lot of false negatives from people on these forums who skipped that step and said they can't edit their design.

Reactions: TechSavvyWife
Interesting, I don't have that. Where did it populate in the agreement?

If your MVPA is ready, you should see this on your "Manage" page, then click "View":

n3lclWq.png

You should then see something like this:

qjN4wcY.png

With the VIN filled in.

Yeah I have only seen maybe 5 in Utah on the streets and can map most of them to the spreadsheets on this site. It doesn't seem like many have made it our way. I think just a few more updates would go a long way, let people know when their likely batch is going into production or even post a schedule of when they do different color combination batches so people can hope theirs is in the latest batch that matches their config. Pretty much anything to make it feel like the process is moving rather than you sitting refreshing for months and then having 3 days to get a loan and all of that.
Exactly, this has not been a positive purchase process so far. I also think they blew it opening the flood gates late July. I ordered 24hrs before that, but I see a lot who ordered after that and are getting their car long before me. I would never do another reservation with Tesla to be at the front. As long as they had a buyer for each car made there was no need and then only a small number of people would be contacting them to ask about the car they configured and if they have a VIN.

Nope, this whole table doesn't exist in my draft agreement. Question, have you taken delivery yet? When did this first appear in your documentation?

#1. I take delivery this Friday, 8/24. *Fingers Crossed*
#2. Most likely after an IDA either emails you or calls you to schedule your delivery. You might not be at that point yet and it's heavily dependent on who is assigned to you as an IDA. Some are better than others, unfortunately. That'll push the final MVPA for you to view which should include the VIN.

• Informative
Reactions: Sagedaddy
Congrats! Do you know the VIN and are you a previous Tesla owner?

Starting to get really annoyed with Tesla though. Have the exact same configuration, but reserved on 3/31/16 (#11 or so in line), am in northern CA about 100 miles from the factory, and ordered the car on 5/31/2018.

VIN is 65xxx and I’m a non-owner. While I’m super excited, I know I got lucky. Delivering vehicles at this scale and ramp is a hard problem to solve, and Tesla is experiencing growing pains for sure.

Reactions: moridin2002
When you click on that does it open a new window? If it does, would you mind telling us what the web address is? I assume it's something like this but with another set of wording where the X's are.

https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/document-hub/show-document/XXXXXXXXX

You are correct; It opens a new window/tab.

So this is one of the URLs which ironically doesn't include your unique reservation #. It's a direct URL to:

https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/document-hub/show-document/order-agreement

I don't remember what the URL was when it was still a draft, but that's the URL where my final MVPA lives. Hope this helps!

I've seen other people reference it - it sounds like it's the one that would probably be assigned to you if all goes well, but they weren't giving it out until the car is close to delivery just in case

That's really good J! I was thinking more a bar chart time series, but... I entered my data a third time. Here's a question. I am in CT (NE CT) I thought I'd be serviced through Dedham MA, an hour away. Nope, Mt Kisco, NY, 2 1/2 hrs away. So you ask location, last field on entry and whatever the other earlier entry was which I took as delivery point. Is there a meaning to each eluding me? Thanks for doing that btw...nice work!!

Interesting, I don't have that. Where did it populate in the agreement?

It appeared when they emailed wanting final payment. I live in Oklahoma, but they do not have a center here, to pick it up in TX (or wait longer for it to ship from TX to OK) I have to pay 14 days in advance. When they made the pay link active it was populated. I filled out the ACH information and they drafted my account. Now I have to wait until 9/1 delivery appointment. It shows as paid in the "overview (i)" but VIN is still not checked. But, it shows in the agreement.

I talked to the delivery adviser on the the phone. He was helpful since they emailed for payment without the documents ready (and no pay URL). He got that fixed, then the agreement with VIN appeared and I was able to pay. He then booked an appointment in Dallas for delivery, but he said it could change if they have transportation issues.

Honestly, I have seen where Texas and other states where Tesla is not officially allowed to sell having VERY long times between edit gone and actual delivery. This could very well be your issue being in Michigan.

Latest figures below (P/AWD Tracker). Yes, of the States with > 10 orders recorded, the ones with lowest Tesla responses are:
  • All the Canadian provinces - 0% VINs and Deliveries (again, not bitter. nope. not at all.)
  • Texas - 10%
  • Washington - 11.1%
  • Oregon - 12%
  • Michigan - 12.5%
The best with at least 10 orders are:
  • New Jersey - 53% VINs and Deliveries
  • Virginia - 44%
  • Florida - 42.4%
  • Maryland - 40%
  • Ohio - 40%
upload_2018-8-21_18-47-16.png

upload_2018-8-21_18-48-0.png

upload_2018-8-21_18-49-9.png

(n.b. For every 1 record there is a VIN + a Delivery, so the max would be 200%. Might have to revise how I represent this, but some orders have a VIN, some have a Delivery date, and some have both. Guess I could do an OR() to show that better...)

• Informative
Reactions: NetBrowned