Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time listener, first time caller

Oct 24 2016 reservation
June 29 2018 order
LR AWD, 19", MSM, EA
New to Tesla (not previous owner)

Any advice for switching to black exterior to speed up delivery? I'm paying cash, and don't want RWD (I live on a hill in the Northeast) but besides that I'm trying to see if color selection may speed up delivery. Don't have a VIN yet. Worth the ask!

**Or switching to 18" wheels?

Long time listener, first time caller

Oct 24 2016 reservation
June 29 2018 order
LR AWD, 19", MSM, EA
New to Tesla (not previous owner)

Any advice for switching to black exterior to speed up delivery? I'm paying cash, and don't want RWD (I live on a hill in the Northeast) but besides that I'm trying to see if color selection may speed up delivery. Don't have a VIN yet. Worth the ask!
It really could go either way. There are probably significantly fewer white interior awd orders, which means when they do the batches of that setup, there are less in front of you. But, since there are less, they may do smaller or more infrequent batches of them.

It really could go either way. There are probably significantly fewer white interior awd orders, which means when they do the batches of that setup, there are less in front of you. But, since there are less, they may do smaller or more infrequent batches of them.

I actually have a black interior, but MSM exterior. Thinking of switching to black exterior, but to your point I'm not sure that matters. I have two little kids, can't go with a white interior!

I reserved during the model 3 reveal. They took my 2500 deposit on june 7th. They are delivering awd cars to people who paid the 2500 20 days after me but had earlier "stand in line" reservations. Since I ordered a RWD car on 6/7 and changed it to AWD the hour that option became available, should I be before or after people who waited to order on 6/26? Does date of $2500 deposit play a factor at all? Its appearing to me that when I changed to AWD, my order went right to the back of the line as if I didn't give $2500 until that day.
I think you should have gone to the back of the line unless you had the option of reserving an AWD car in early June. Most of us were not able to reserve an AWD on June 7 and were waiting to reserve. It does not seem right to me that someone could have jumped the line by ordering a RWD early and then converting later. But it probably doesn't matter, for all the reasons mentioned in this thread.

Its obvious reservation date dont mean *sugar* to Tesla. It is also odd that people have reported same configurations with later order dates passing earlier orders. Only difference is location. So location plays a big role in it. What sucks is it is like a lottery. Model Y reservation.... HELL NO!
Ok.
There are so many factors that go into all of this: configuration, method of payment, location, reservations date, configuration date, previous owner status, etc. Maybe since you are the expert in this matter you can get a job with TSLA teaching them how to run this?
But I will bet you have not yet driven ANY Tesla. If you had, we would not be having this conversation.

Got a call from DS today. Car is still on Rail Car and will not be released to prep center till tomorrow. They asked to move my pickup to the 2nd....but I will be out of town traveling and not going to be able to pick it up till the 9th. The good news is the all my scheduled upgrades (car wrap, chrome delete, and such) are scheduled for the 10th.

DS said I was top of the list since I was day one reservation in store and multiple Tesla owner. Said they are delivering 8 AWD non performance this week. I was at the top of the list. All Red in case anyone wants to know.

Take that with a grain of salt....who knows what the real story is....

Interesting....today they called me and said that they would like to deliver my car to me on Friday. This is cool, but as I pointed out to them last time, I am leaving town for work on Friday. So now they have scheduled to bring me my car on Thursday the 9th. This is different than originally planned was I had to drive to their "pickup" location which was an hour away from me. Happy to know this. Also, my car is at the prep shop. I am going over there tomorrow to check out the paint job, panel alignment and such....

3 AWD, I have been waiting for over 2 years, I have a 85 S, and a RN for the Roster. I work out of town so picking it up has too be on my schedule because I can not pick it up where I am for the week or I have to pay all the taxes from out of state etc. I was under the impression they were having issues with people not taking delivery for what ever reason... I gave them my available dates this month in Portland, OR 19 and 20th. Their answer was, well we can not deliver your Model 3 on those days because because we don't work Sunday and Monday. Wow, I thought the idea is too deliver cars so we can grow the pot of money to pay the bills and show a profit. I guess I will be putting in an application to be a delivery person so I can work 5 days a week... I think they need to hire more people and have at least 6 days a week flow of cars into the owners hands...

Throwing out another data point:

Non-owner
CT
Reserved afternoon of 3/31/16 in store
Original Invite 4/10/18
Configured AWD 6/26/18
MSM, AWD non performance, EAP, aeros
Sep-Nov delivery estimate
Edit button disappeared along with a new request for loan details on 7/30 or 7/31
Per the VIN decode trick, have a VIN (65xxx)

Reactions: BobCio
Does anyone else with an AWD order still have the old version of the confirmation page? I do, although I can see the new version by following a link someone sent.

Just curious, I worry in part because I seem to never get email updates either.

Does anyone else with an AWD order still have the old version of the confirmation page? I do, although I can see the new version by following a link someone sent.

Just curious, I worry in part because I seem to never get email updates either.
Which color? They didn't start obsidian black yet, so am still waiting in the "old" order page. Ordered on May 20th.

I think you should have gone to the back of the line unless you had the option of reserving an AWD car in early June. Most of us were not able to reserve an AWD on June 7 and were waiting to reserve. It does not seem right to me that someone could have jumped the line by ordering a RWD early and then converting later. But it probably doesn't matter, for all the reasons mentioned in this thread.

Unless he could configure AWD they wouldn’t let him configure it early. I switched to AWD after a RWD delivery gone wrong and couldn’t configure AWD until the batch containing my reservation number was invited. It just so happened for me that my batch of invites contained all reservation holders and I didn’t even get the email because I had already configured. So I showed up a day late to that party.

Ok.
There are so many factors that go into all of this: configuration, method of payment, location, reservations date, configuration date, previous owner status, etc. Maybe since you are the expert in this matter you can get a job with TSLA teaching them how to run this?
But I will bet you have not yet driven ANY Tesla. If you had, we would not be having this conversation.
I have been a Tesla fan since 2009... I have also been behind the wheel of the 3 as well. I do look forward to getting my own 3, but I didnt drink the Tesla koolaid! I'm not an expert in logistics by any stretch of the imagination, but what Tesla is doing is pissing off a lot people.