Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the sound of that. I will choose to believe what you heard even though the rep I spoke w/ yesterday on the phone told me reservation status means nothing. It's order date/ownership status/location only lol. She took extra time to give an example of going to a restaurant where reservation time means nothing because once you are in... the order in which the food was order will be the only thing that matters.

I must have talked with the same rep, because she told me the exact same analogy about sitting at the table but not ordering any food. Quite rudely. I'm staying positive and polite and will hope she was just trying to get to the next call

Yeah I think the speak about "Reservation Date" being factored in is just PR and damage control so people don't feel slighted that its actually the Order Date that matters. Ive seen lots of grown adults act like babies about it.

Logistically, it doesn't make sense to factor in "reservation date" anymore. Their queue system would have to be micromanaged and that just isn't efficient.

You order your car and you recieve your car when the next batch of similar configs/colors are made, in the order you have confirmed.

Is a lot better than:

You reserve your car, you order your car. You will receive your car after factoring in your reservation date and order date, then cross referencing it with other reservations and orders to set your place in line to match with batches of similar configs and color you have confirmed.

Last edited:
Reactions: C141medic
They never said in which order they will be applied. I think each delivery center get reports on which cars are coming in and then someone will match those cars to future owners. So the order would be like location -> configuration -> up to the person to pick which customers to match the cars. Some may pick the person with day 1 reservation but configured on 6/27/2018. Others could pick the person with day 2 reservation but configured in May 2018. I think if 2 people at the same location, configured the exact same car on the same day, the person with the earlier reservation date will probably get it first.

Yeah I think the speak about "Reservation Date" being factored in is just PR and damage control so people don't feel slighted that its actually the Order Date that matters. Ive seen lots of grown adults act like babies about it.

Logistically, it doesn't make sense to factor in "reservation date" anymore. Their queue system would have to be micromanaged and that just isn't efficient.

You order your car and you recieve your car when the next batch of similar configs/colors are made, in the order you have confirmed.

Is a lot better than:

You reserve your car, you order your car. You will receive your car after factoring in your reservation date and order date, then cross referencing it with other reservations and orders to set your place in line to match with batches of similar configs and color you have confirmed.
I think it's obvious that reservation date does play a part in it (which is why pretty much all AWD and AWD-P deliveries have gone to people who have reserved very early). I just think people don't understand how much logistics also plays a part in it. All other things being equal (options, color, wheels, delivery location, trade-in, financing, etc), the person with the earlier reservation date will probably get the car first.

I think it's obvious that reservation date does play a part in it (which is why pretty much all AWD and AWD-P deliveries have gone to people who have reserved very early). I just think people don't understand how much logistics also plays a part in it. All other things being equal (options, color, wheels, delivery location, trade-in, financing, etc), the person with the earlier reservation date will probably get the car first.

Most, if not all of those orders that have been delivered have gone to people who reserved pre- 6/26 when the flood gates opened for all reservation holders. So their reservation date was factored into their allowance to order their car. For every early reservation holder that has gotten an AWD or AWD-P, there are also equally as many examples of people that reserved only a few months ago getting a delivery of a RWD car.

AWD deliveries I've seen so far are to people who ordered before the 6/27 floodgates opened. They got orders in earlier because of their reservation date, but there isn't anything that suggests delivery is tied to reservations sooner for the rest of us that ordered after 6/27.

Actually, the RWD orders after 6/27 are coming as the cars become available. It has nothing to do with reservations. I'm sure that will be the same with the AWD orders going forward.

Reactions: clove503
Option 1: Reservation Date: 3/31/2016 - Order Date: 7/26/2018

Option 2: Reservation Date: 5/1/2018 - Order Date: 6/26/2018

Do you really think Tesla is going to ping the system for option 1 and leapfrog it over order 2, that ordered a month before? Not a chance. I can possibly see it factoring in with orders placed on the same day, but even an order confirmed a day later won't get priority over a confirmed order that was placed the day before. Someone has put more skin into the game, they get the priority.

Completely agree. The res date simply allowed the opportunity to order sooner than someone else.

Most, if not all of those orders that have been delivered have gone to people who reserved pre- 6/26 when the flood gates opened for all reservation holders. So their reservation date was factored into their allowance to order their car. For every early reservation holder that has gotten an AWD or AWD-P, there are also equally as many examples of people that reserved only a few months ago getting a delivery of a RWD car.

@clove503 nice point!

Do you really think Tesla is going to ping the system for option 1 and leapfrog it over order 2, that ordered a month before? Not a chance. I can possibly see it factoring in with orders placed on the same day, but even an order confirmed a day later won't get priority over a confirmed order that was placed the day before. Someone has put more skin into the game, they get the priority.

I reserved during the model 3 reveal. They took my 2500 deposit on june 7th. They are delivering awd cars to people who paid the 2500 20 days after me but had earlier "stand in line" reservations. Since I ordered a RWD car on 6/7 and changed it to AWD the hour that option became available, should I be before or after people who waited to order on 6/26? Does date of $2500 deposit play a factor at all? Its appearing to me that when I changed to AWD, my order went right to the back of the line as if I didn't give $2500 until that day.

Last edited:
Reactions: ℬête Noire

Do you really think Tesla is going to ping the system for option 1 and leapfrog it over order 2, that ordered a month before? Not a chance.

Not with your example, because it assumes RWD (to get those dates) and there's a pipeline going so it'll take some time to feather in the later order. It simply isn't going to be a hard sort, factor A ALWAYS overrules factor B, and it's going to be other factors involved as well to best fit into production schedule.

We will know soon enough. If the VIN queue on Troy’s sheet starts to fill out top to bottom by config date, then reservation date is meaningless (other than for being a hate to config before the floodgates). If the queue fills out top to bottom ordered by reservation date, then that matters more.

AWD (Non-Performance), in the USA with Black Interior. Only looking at people that put in an order date.

AWD Vins.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: malciv
Not sure as that was removed from the spreadsheet along with the ownership status. I also excluded about about 50 people that had switched or selected the white interior.
I had hoped someone had that old data cached somewhere to cross with this (very short).

There's only one entry with white seats and a VIN and they didn't include their configuration date.

Long time listener, first time caller

Oct 24 2016 reservation
June 29 2018 order
LR AWD, 19", MSM, EA
New to Tesla (not previous owner)

Any advice for switching to black exterior to speed up delivery? I'm paying cash, and don't want RWD (I live on a hill in the Northeast) but besides that I'm trying to see if color selection may speed up delivery. Don't have a VIN yet. Worth the ask!